Brisket Wars -- SRF brisket cook -- Semi Live

Sweet! Looking forward Coqui

Coffee and brisket this morning :-D Leftover flat and point. The flat is hands down the moistest I've ever had even when I sliced some this morning.

DbTXm0Fh.jpg

and some point meat

lWqO27ih.jpg

Dang yours looks better the day after than any of mine ever have :becky: Great thread and pictures :clap2:

Holy cow, that has to be the best looking brisket I've ever looked at! I do well getting selects and the ungraded briskets. it's rare to see choice briskets anywhere around here.

I got lucky 1 time and got a Prime brisket only because the place I ordered the brisket from goofed up and treated me with a prime brisket to cover their screw up.

I would say one day i will get a brisket like yours but that's never gonna happen I could never throw that kind of money for a hunk of meat! I can barely buy the briskets I buy now which is the reason why I don't cook brisket often LOL

Thanks for the write up! Looks like if you've got the money, they are good quality meats!

Dang yours looks better the day after than any of mine ever have :becky: Great thread and pictures :clap2:

Lol Thanks! I gotta admit, I haven't had briskets look and taste like that ever before. I didn't even warm it up just up to room temp:shock:

Holy cow, that has to be the best looking brisket I've ever looked at! I do well getting selects and the ungraded briskets. it's rare to see choice briskets anywhere around here.

I got lucky 1 time and got a Prime brisket only because the place I ordered the brisket from goofed up and treated me with a prime brisket to cover their screw up.

I would say one day i will get a brisket like yours but that's never gonna happen I could never throw that kind of money for a hunk of meat! I can barely buy the briskets I buy now which is the reason why I don't cook brisket often LOL

Thanks for the write up! Looks like if you've got the money, they are good quality meats!

Thanks Blazin'

I've cooked them all from select to wagyu. While you can make any brisket taste good there is def a difference in the meat. Thankfully, I'm blessed to go get any brisket anytime I want to but if it were hard for me to get the higher end briskets or any meat for that matter I'd save my coins and order one then. I'd rather have a good piece of meat every once in a while than have it regularly but the quality is not there. Not trying to sounds like a snob or anything because I'm far from being a person like that.

I'm glad you posted this, I've been hesitant to "waste" one for cooking. You may have pushed me over the edge.

Yea it was good. Its easier for us to "waste" one. Every gas station seems to carry dirty bastard now.

Gotta try dirty bastard. I gave up trying to find the limited backwoods bastard so off to the store to get dirty bastard instead.

Backwoods was tough last year. Probably worse this year. Founders is stepping up promotion of the barrel aged series. Frootwood was first then KBS. A buddy said Doom is next, rumored aged ipa?. One more mystery beer, maybe CBS?, then Backwoods before the final release of the 6.

Yea it was good. Its easier for us to "waste" one. Every gas station seems to carry dirty bastard now.

Backwoods was tough last year. Probably worse this year. Founders is stepping up promotion of the barrel aged series. Frootwood was first then KBS. A buddy said Doom is next, rumored aged ipa?. One more mystery beer, maybe CBS?, then Backwoods before the final release of the 6.

Lucky! CA has quite a few amazing beer crafters too but man Founders just stand out for me as one of my favorite breweries. So glad we can get them out here.

I actually saw Frootwood my last trip a few days ago but didn't get it. Doom? Aged IPA??? :faint:

Lucky! CA has quite a few amazing beer crafters too but man Founders just stand out for me as one of my favorite breweries. So glad we can get them out here.

I actually saw Frootwood my last trip a few days ago but didn't get it. Doom? Aged IPA??? :faint:

Yeah I can get a lot of Founders beers down here in Houston, but not all of them like you can in Michigan.

Just one of the reasons I can't wait to move back.

Gotta try dirty bastard. I gave up trying to find the limited backwoods bastard so off to the store to get dirty bastard instead.

Around here, it's available in cans as well as bottles. Cans ship better, so keep a look out.

I've found that the bigger briskets from SRF's in the gold category have thicker flats. Not all beefers are the same so it's natural that some will be thicker and others thinner.

We sell cull heifers that are a bit smaller than steers. Heifers in my opinion are better tasting than steers so I usually try to get one of those for myself. This go around I got a steer that is pushing 1500#'s. He must have hogged all the feed he could!

Maybe I should have been massaging and drinking beer with him... :becky:

Thanks Blazin'

I've cooked them all from select to wagyu. While you can make any brisket taste good there is def a difference in the meat. Thankfully, I'm blessed to go get any brisket anytime I want to but if it were hard for me to get the higher end briskets or any meat for that matter I'd save my coins and order one then. I'd rather have a good piece of meat every once in a while than have it regularly but the quality is not there. Not trying to sounds like a snob or anything because I'm far from being a person like that.

Haha, would you just quit being a snob. Nah really, joking aside, I get what your saying. I would love to try better cuts, but I'll take what I can get.

This thread has made me decide to ask our local shop if they could order a prime graded brisket for me though. I've been craving brisket so it would be nice to try. When I started ordering them with the local store They said its pretty much just what they get on the truck.

Calling in the morning to order one so I'll ask!

I've found that the bigger briskets from SRF's in the gold category have thicker flats. Not all beefers are the same so it's natural that some will be thicker and others thinner.

We sell cull heifers that are a bit smaller than steers. Heifers in my opinion are better tasting than steers so I usually try to get one of those for myself. This go around I got a steer that is pushing 1500#'s. He must have hogged all the feed he could!

Maybe I should have been massaging and drinking beer with him... :becky:

I just ordered a 16-18 lbs gold from srf and the flat is thinner than any I have gotten from a store. It is 16 lbs.

I ordered the 20+ ones from them. Both were just a bit over that but not by much.

KK I'd call and talk with them Monday. I saw yours and was not impressed by the flat. Give them a chance to make it right first.

Not at all. :thumb:

I always buy Costco primes myself and while they have very good marbling I've NEVER had a prime this marbled. Close to it, a few times but none like this.

Great that you brought this up and here are my observations of the SRF over Primes from Costco

Visual: This was hands down the best looking brisket I've taken out of a cryo

Texture: Soft and oily to the touch. The fat trimmings can be squished and had a cotton like texture so did the meat itself

Trim and waste: Easiest brisket I trimmed and waste was minimal (As documented I use the good fat trimmings and by far this one yielded more reusable trimmings than any other brisket)

Cook:
Since it's so well marbled, cooking this thing was effortless. Easiest, "jiggliest" brisket I cooked to date and we know brisket is a bitch to cook sometimes whatever you do.

Taste: Night and day difference. The flat was the moistest I've had. Even when I had it next day when it was cold. Overall a distinct and very rich tasting brisket bursting with flavor.

What I didn't like:
This particular brisket compared to the other SRF in the fridge had a thinner flat and point. I'll get bigger ones next time I order. Don't get me wrong, plenty to go around but I like a little thicker flat and point. I'll do a comparison when I cook the other one to see how it fairs.

Overall: This is the brisket you want to have if you want to get your brisket fix and you'll be satisfied for months. Super rich and tasty and you will taste a difference over your regular brisket.

Would I buy it again at regular price? Absolutely. There is a reason why comp guys get these by forking out a lot money and now I understand. Like I mentioned, I've cooked wagyu briskets before but SRF product was far superior perhaps because it was Gold.

Finally, am I done with prime briskets? No. Those are delicious and the flavor profile is different than wagyu obviously. Wagyu will be a treat for special occasions and when you want to get that rich, beefy, fatty brisket taste. I probably can do a prime once a month but wagyu every six months or so will work for me because it's soooooo satisfying if I make sense.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the thorough review - they do sound amazing. I suppose this is what I needed to knock me off the fence and into ordering the next sale. :thumb:

There are several brethren on here, that when they post a cook thread, I know there is some good pron coming, but dang man, I had to go thru 4 pages to get to the final product. Anticipation!!! But, it was worth it. Fantastic job, as always, and one day, you guys may want a change of venue for your SoCal bash, keep Atlanta in mind. I can make that one:becky:

There are several brethren on here, that when they post a cook thread, I know there is some good pron coming, but dang man, I had to go thru 4 pages to get to the final product. Anticipation!!! But, it was worth it. Fantastic job, as always, and one day, you guys may want a change of venue for your SoCal bash, keep Atlanta in mind. I can make that one:becky:

Thanks Ron!

ATL is on my list for sure. If I manage to squeeze in a bash if one gets put together around there I'm in. :thumb:

Dang Sako, I was looking at SRF after seeing the thread earlier, I almost pulled the trigger on a 12-14lb waygu brisket on the credit card............... Just can't do it! The wife would kill me... haha One of these days I'll try it, but its not gonna be today LOL. The next special occasion that comes up though I'll probably look into it for a one time opportunity kinda thing.

They must be having a good deal on the briskets even right now, I haven't found waygu briskets anywhere else online for less than $300. When I seen the 12-14lb under $200 It's tempting at least!

Edit: Question though.... What's it taste like compared to a select-prime brisket? More beef flavor? Stronger beef flavor?

Last edited:
Off the Hook brisket event Neighbor!

This was more than just another cook, it was an event for sure!

Great choices on the beverages and I assume you included a bourbon or scotch before it was over!

Back