THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Good morning everyone! Thought I would do my first live cook today on the new vertical offset! I got it rolling with red oak, don't think I like it very much. But hopefully the flavor comes out nice.

I trimmed the brisket and threw it on the smoker a few minutes ago. Its was a 15lb choice brisket before trimming. Rubbed it with Oak Ridge Black Ops!

IMG_1269_zpsew16aiq5.jpg

Here's a shot of it on the cooker to get an idea how much head room is between each grate!
IMG_1270_zpsr3aerah6.jpg

See you guys in a few hours!

Brisky looks like it will be good. Why don't you like the red oak?

I think its the smell. This stuff splits very very easily. Seems dry/seasoned but still has some moisture in the wood. It's burning good, burning clean. I have the damper half way open. Good thin blue smoke. Don't see soot, or any kind of weird things happening.

Even my buddies next door says I'm paranoid. its fine. They say its just how oak smells. I'm sure the flavor will be outstanding. It's looking good though about 1 hour in!

Also I have a question. I have a water pan. its running side to side along with the brisket. I have a temp difference of 25-50 degrees from left to right. Higher temp on the left furthest away from the firebox. Probably due to the baffle. It's cooler above the baffle.

Do I want the point to be on the hotter end? I know that the point cooks faster right?

What temps you cooking at and does your new pit have a sweet spot it likes to run at?

Edit: Place the point towards the hotter side of the rack.

What temps you cooking at and does your new pit have a sweet spot it likes to run at?

Edit: Place the point towards the hotter side of the rack.

The outside is reading 250ish. While the grate temps are 275-300 on the left, the right closet to the fire box is running 225-250.

I haven't figured out the sweet spot. but the way its running right now seems to be it. It's been running stable like this for the past couple hours.

I think its the smell. This stuff splits very very easily. Seems dry/seasoned but still has some moisture in the wood. It's burning good, burning clean. I have the damper half way open. Good thin blue smoke. Don't see soot, or any kind of weird things happening.

Even my buddies next door says I'm paranoid. its fine. They say its just how oak smells. I'm sure the flavor will be outstanding. It's looking good though about 1 hour in!
I have a huge pile of red oak and white (post) oak. I can't tell the difference in the smoke or the food with either one of them. When the red oak was green it had the smell but I can't tell anything now that it is dry.

I have a huge pile of red oak and white (post) oak. I can't tell the difference in the smoke or the food with either one of them. When the red oak was green it had the smell but I can't tell anything now that it is dry.

The wood its self doesn't have a smell. I find the smell coming more from it burning. Could be something in the air, but like I said, food looks outstanding, cooking nice. Smokes nice, good clean burning fire. working like a charm! I'm known for being real paranoid about cooking and stuff!

The wood its self doesn't have a smell. I find the smell coming more from it burning. Could be something in the air, but like I said, food looks outstanding, cooking nice. Smokes nice, good clean burning fire. working like a charm! I'm known for being real paranoid about cooking and stuff!
It could also be that your pit is not fully seasoned and gunked up. I have found that the more I cook on my Lone Star the better it smells when it's running.

Looks awesome so far. Are you spritzing the brisket?

I'm not a spritzer. I tried spritzing back when I was trying to make BBQ on a gasser. Once I started cooking on smokers I haven't spritzed yet. I find it to be to messy. I'm lazy, don't feel like cleaning up the mess. Same goes for mopping. I never deal with moisture problems, I've noticed with most foods the outside stays a little dry til mid cook when the juices start flowing through the meat.

Looks good and once you wrap in foil the it doesn't matter what you cook it in as long as it gets pulled when probe tender.

Back