THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our meal! Baby back ribs, green beans and mashed potato's and gravy! Still cooking the brisket!

IMG_1283_zpshmig3af3.jpg

Food looks fantastic and that's a killer smoker. West Virginia ain't to far to go from Pittsburgh for a meal that good.

Food looks fantastic and that's a killer smoker. West Virginia ain't to far to go from Pittsburgh for a meal that good.

Come on down!! Just make sure to call first. No surprise visits LOL.:thumb:

Brisket is reading 198 and probing like butter! Getting ready to pull it, Might add an extra 15-20 minutes just to be sure! First brisket to prob tender all around under 200 degrees! I'll have final pics after resting. Thanks again everyone! I love this new smoker! Runs so smooth!

That all looked great, brisket had great color. Nice cooking.

Oh, I place the point at the heat source, it doesn't cook faster. The point takes longer to cook, however, it gets softer faster, and it takes heat better because of the fat content.

That all looked great, brisket had great color. Nice cooking.

Oh, I place the point at the heat source, it doesn't cook faster. The point takes longer to cook, however, it gets softer faster, and it takes heat better because of the fat content.

Hmm thanks! I wasn't exactly sure on if it actually cooks faster or not.

Here's the point separated from the flat. I always store the point and flat separately.
IMG_1286_zpst7i87qzg.jpg

The flat! Looks and smells great! Slice pictures will be next! Going to take a few slices to my buddy that built the smoker for me first!

IMG_1287_zpsym2k6ucs.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice indeed! :clap2:

Nice cooking man

That's what I'm talking about!

Thanks. Everyone has said this was the best cook yet. Took a bowl of slices from the point&flat to my buddy, It didn't last 5 minutes! I was so worried about the red oak, I still swear it smells funny when its burning! Guess I'm the only one. But I agree, probably the best cook yet IMO.

I personally like finishing the brisket in the oven, gives me time to let the smoker cool and do the clean up before dark.

Looks great, very inspiring! Newbie here starting with ribs tomorrow, will try a brisket next weekend.

Good luck with the ribs. One thing about brisket, its done when its done. When it probes tender through the thickest part of the flat. What are you cookin on?

I just had a friend of mine build a vertical offset for me. Love it!

Looking good, nice looking brisket. I'm surprised you had a higher temperature difference away from the firebox. Did you notice this on your last cook? On your last cook with the turkey I noticed one side was darker, figured it was the firebox side? I know my Oklahoma Joe could be like that with a baffle. So maybe when I start the build maybe eliminate the little baffle and go strictly with tuning plates.

Good looking grub though, can't wait to start my build.

Looking good, nice looking brisket. I'm surprised you had a higher temperature difference away from the firebox. Did you notice this on your last cook? On your last cook with the turkey I noticed one side was darker, figured it was the firebox side? I know my Oklahoma Joe could be like that with a baffle. So maybe when I start the build maybe eliminate the little baffle and go strictly with tuning plates.

Good looking grub though, can't wait to start my build.

Yeah I noticed the temp differences the last time I cooked. I was hoping the water pan would of made a difference temp wise. It actually did. I learned if I run 225-250 on the River country temp gauge for some reason both sides of the grate was even 250. Any higher or lower you would see the temp differences.

I say this is just due to the baffle. Maybe the baffle should of been cut at a different degree of angle. Or I should of went with tuning plates. Doesn't matter though, 25-50 degree difference doesn't mean much anyways! Everything seemed to cook even enough.

I also say once the cooker gets gunked up it will run a bit more even in temps. Just need to cook on it more!

Back