First cook on members mark pizza oven from Sam's. (lots of pics)

Free Mr. Tony

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My Blackstone burned out, and has unfortunately been put in the dumpster after grabbing the stones to save. I want to eventually get a forno bravo oven, but may need to wait a bit on that. In the meantime I figured I'd try out the Sam's club pizza oven. I did not have high hopes. Visually, there seemed to be some major flaws. Most of my fears were put to rest after one use. Don't think I've ever had better results from the inaugural cook on a piece of equipment.

Split some splits I had in the wood pile, and fired up after a very brief setup period.

PP9ce7fl.jpg

6LaQK7tl.jpg

rk4GDlul.jpg

40E5hUzl.jpg

First pizza was the kids bbq chicken. I like cooking at about 650 stone temp. I hit it about right. Cooked very fast with the active flame.
e2x1fuLl.jpg

iqQqxODl.jpg

Chicno6l.jpg

Half pepperoni, half buffalo chicken
q9uaRDBl.jpg

Calzone with ricotta, and soppresata.
sCc63dUl.jpg

5W4Jej8l.jpg

D97EXsjl.jpg

dKMDU0Sl.jpg

POMQimwl.jpg

Was a big fan of the Blackstone, but really think I'm going to have fun with this little $379 oven. Thanks for looking.

I was highly curious what you were about to add to the proverbial toolbox.

That looks like a fun oven, Mr. Tony!

Grub looks great!

I was highly curious what you were about to add to the proverbial toolbox.

That looks like a fun oven, Mr. Tony!

Grub looks great!

Wasn't really what I was making room for necessarily, but going back to the oven after having a Blackstone is difficult for a pizza cook. This should hold me over until I can get the real deal. This perforned very well for the price. I bought on a whim today. Wife and I decided to stop in,and it was 379 instead of 499. Sealed the deal.

Looks great -- should definitely hold you over.

I was just wasting time last night looking at at some of the ovens as a result of getting an email from All Things BBQ about the Clementi. Led me to a bunch of research comparing that to the Forno Bravo options etc. -- none of which I'm likely to buy.:crazy:

Awesome looking pie!!

Can you share your dough recipe...looks awesome!

I use this website to play with the numbers depending on how many pizzas I'm making.

http://www.pizzacreator.net

The link should give you my ratios except for yeast (let me know if the numbers aren't already plugged in when you click). I use more or less depending on when I'm planning on cooking. May use a half tsp per 900 gram (3 x 300 gram dough balls) recipe if I'm cooking a couple days out. 2 tsp for same day.

I use 50/50 mix of bread flour (King Arthur), and high gluten flour (bouncer brand from gordons). I like to cook around 650-700 degrees, and I like the mix for a perfect balance of soft/crisp/chewy.

I do keep some 00 on hand if I want to cook hotter, but mainly use it for homemade pasta.

Looks awesome! I'd be happy with those results as well. Thanks for sharing.

Pizzas look great! Two questions:

1. What's the largest diameter pie you can get in the new oven?

2. What exactly happened to the Blackstone? If the motor died, you can easily replace it with a better one as the mount underneath the oven is universal.

Pizzas look great! Two questions:

1. What's the largest diameter pie you can get in the new oven?

2. What exactly happened to the Blackstone? If the motor died, you can easily replace it with a better one as the mount underneath the oven is universal.

The round one in the picture is about 14". You could probably squeeze a 16" in there, but it would be tight. The ash grate in the back kind of throws the area off a bit. I wish it was just more stone.

The burner in the Blackstone went out. Even after you turned the burner off, there would still be a small flame until you shut the propane off on the can. It still worked like that until last weekend. On high, it was barely a flame anymore.

I read a few people on pizzamaking would clean the rust out of the burner, and it would be fine. Tried that, and it didn't work. Then, I figured I could replace the burner. Bought a new burner. Didn't realize Blackstone made it so the burner was permanently encased. I cut around the metal to get to it, but it was too tore up to get the new burner in. Very frustrated with the way it was built to not be able to simply replace components. It was fun while it lasted, but I'm glad I only paid 87 dollars for it.

The round one in the picture is about 14". You could probably squeeze a 16" in there, but it would be tight. The ash grate in the back kind of throws the area off a bit. I wish it was just more stone.

The burner in the Blackstone went out. Even after you turned the burner off, there would still be a small flame until you shut the propane off on the can. It still worked like that until last weekend. On high, it was barely a flame anymore.

I read a few people on pizzamaking would clean the rust out of the burner, and it would be fine. Tried that, and it didn't work. Then, I figured I could replace the burner. Bought a new burner. Didn't realize Blackstone made it so the burner was permanently encased. I cut around the metal to get to it, but it was too tore up to get the new burner in. Very frustrated with the way it was built to not be able to simply replace components. It was fun while it lasted, but I'm glad I only paid 87 dollars for it.

Makes total sense. I hope the new generation of BS ovens correct this flaw!

Wow! Those pies look awesome, my 14-year-old would be in heaven. Thanks for sharing the website too.

Back