• My First Roman Style Pizza: Thinnest Crust Ever

Man, that looks great! Never tried Roman style, but I think I'm with you on the Neapolitan style preference.

Looking forward to New Haven!

Thanks - care to share details on the mod you did to your Blackstone oven? I'm sure there's more than a few of us who would like to know!
I added a TejasSmokers log burner to the left hand side of the stone. I was able to reach 700 degrees in about 20 minutes before I backed down since I was baking a NY style. As you can see, I have a needle valve attached to the burner that gives me complete control of the flame and I have it set so that I can turn the lement to heat the dome more than the stone if I want/or need to.The pie shown was done in about 2 minutes. A bit fast for NY style but I had to see what could be achieved with the additional burner. This was first bake with the mod. (Messed up the launch as you can see.:icon_blush:)

Last edited:
I added a TejasSmokers log burner to the left hand side of the stone. I was able to reach 700 degrees in about 20 minutes before I backed down since I was baking a NY style. As you can see, I have a needle valve attached to the burner that gives me complete control of the flame and I have it set so that I can turn the lement to heat the dome more than the stone if I want/or need to.The pie shown was done in about 2 minutes. A bit fast for NY style but I had to see what could be achieved with the additional burner. This was first bake with the mod. (Messed up the launch as you can see.:icon_blush:)

George,

Thanks for more details on the mod. :thumb: I do find I can reach 700 degrees in roughly 10-12 minutes, so not sure it would add to what I have. My BS oven is first generation I think, and may behave a bit differently than yours. I did the ball bearing mod and installed a considerably more powerful corded motor, which runs quite nicely compared to the stock unit.

Tell me more about that dough you're using - looks really good and more what I prefer. Recipe would be awesome!

George,

Thanks for more details on the mod. :thumb: I do find I can reach 700 degrees in roughly 10-12 minutes, so not sure it would add to what I have. My BS oven is first generation I think, and may behave a bit differently than yours. I did the ball bearing mod and installed a considerably more powerful corded motor, which runs quite nicely compared to the stock unit.

Tell me more about that dough you're using - looks really good and more what I prefer. Recipe would be awesome!
You probably have the 10 PSI regulator on yours mine is the later model 5 PSI. They had some complaints about flames shooting out the front of the oven when igniting so they stepped it down to the 5.
This is the dough recipe I have been using almost exclusivesy (except for pan pizza). It was developed by one of the guys on the PizzaMaking forum. For this particular pie I used the recipe as suggested because I did not want to wait for my starter. All other times I use 100g of ripe sourdough starter in lieu of the IDY. If you do that you need to reduce the water and the flour by 50g each. I cold ferment for 3-7 days depending on circumstances. I also use a mix of all purpose and bread flour in that I do not have access to Power Flour.

Last edited:
Great looking pies, but experimenting is as much fun as consuming, so back to the kitchen to give us some more goodness to drool over.

Looks good but I prefer a thicker crust. To me the taste of pizza is in the dough not the topping. I was able to snag a hardly used BS some months past and have modified it to reach 900 deg. fast and without effort. Nonetheless, nice pie.

You probably have the 10 PSI regulator on yours mine is the later model 5 PSI. They had some complaints about flames shooting out the front of the oven when igniting so they stepped it down to the 5.
This is the dough recipe I have been using almost exclusivesy (except for pan pizza). It was developed by one of the guys on the PizzaMaking forum. For this particular pie I used the recipe as suggested because I did not want to wait for my starter. All other times I use 100g of ripe sourdough starter in lieu of the IDY. If you do that you need to reduce the water and the flour by 50g each. I cold ferment for 3-7 days depending on circumstances. I also use a mix of all purpose and bread flour in that I do not have access to Power Flour.

Not sure what regulator I have, bought in 2016, mine gets to 1100° with the built in thermometer, 800° on the stove with my thermometer

Not sure what regulator I have, bought in 2016, mine gets to 1100° with the built in thermometer, 800° on the stove with my thermometer
I think they all get there its just a matter how long it takes. I like that with my mod I can direct significant heat to the dome if needed and I don't need to wait between pies for the stone to re-heat. Anyway, I was not getting the temps. you all report in mine in a reasonable amount of time. Hence the mod.

George,

Same here Richard. Mine is first gen also and I also easily reach 800*+ temps. Stone temps are 900 to 950* measured with my IR gun. No mods to mine because it came in pretty solid from the factory and never had an issue. Only thing I replaced eventually was the weak motor.

Great lookin' pizza there!

Sandra is a big thin crust fan and is slowly converting me.

Man I need to get in the pizza game.....I want the new Gozney Dome so bad I can taste it, LOL!

I would prefer a thin crust, but my problem is normally joints that serve it, the crust usually doesn't have any flavor.

Great looking pies friends........

DSC_0324Ers.JPG

Be still my heart…

Thanks for all the info on the pies and BS mods. Mine also gets to 800° pretty quick. No mods and still using the original motor. I did did buy a spare so I am prepared when it does fail but still going strong. I have been thinking how I can add a wood chip basket next to the burner to get wood flavor.

Back