ABTs - stuffed jalapenos - always steal the show!

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
I made about 80 stuffed jalapenos and smoked them for two separate parties in the past two weeks and it always makes me laugh how the ABTs (smoked stuffed jalapeno peppers) are the highlight of the party.

For my recent party I ordered 9 lbs of bratwurst from Usingers in Wisconsin. Amazing brats. Everyone loved them. But the ABTs were the hit of the party. "How did you make these?!" "Oh my God these are good!" etc.

Since these are always the hit of the show I wanted to see if there was much variation between everyone's recipes. I do the following:

3/4 colby jack cheese - 1/4 cream cheese stuffed into pepper halves and wrapped with 1/2 a sliced of bacon and then black pepper on top. Smoked with apple or pecan wood for about 1.5 hours at 225-250 degrees in my WSM.

Whats your ABT recipe!?

John

Last edited:
I do the same with the cheese and bacon but I like to also use italian sausage,chicken or last weekend I used some of my left over pulled pork.
I always do extra for my neighbors!

I've only made them once (July 4 weekend). But yeah, they seemed to be a hit.

I browned some chorizo and let it cool. Mixed it with some shredded Mexican three-cheese mix and a little cream cheese. Stuffed the mix into the cored peppers and wrapped with thin sliced bacon.

I don't think you can miss with the stuffed peppers.

I vary the cheeses. For most flavor impact I like stuffing them with BLUE cheese and cream cheese.
I will also sprinkle some rub on the cheese layer, then after the bacon is rolled I sprinkle
some rub again.

I cut penos in 1/2 and use a GRAPEFRUIT spoon to core. Quick way to go through them.

When I buy the jalapenos I always buy one Serrano pepper too. If the penos are not hot enough
I dice the Serrano and add that into the cheese mix. Also good to do if you want extra kick.

I always use thin bacon.

I usually use a sharp cheddar mixture with either marscapone or cream cheese. The bacon is enough meat for my taste with ABT's. My daughter recently made some and breaded them with a mixture that included a little cumino & a bit of chili powder. They looked alot like those nuggets in Padawan's latest thread. Really good, I'm gonna try it next time.

I cut them in half and clean them. Then put some homemade breakfast sausage mixed with some cheese (what ever is on hand) and stuff them. Then I place just a small strip of bacon on top of them. Smoke them at 225-250 until done with pecan wood.

Me one pound Jimmy Dean sausage cooked mixed with one block of cream cheese with a little parm in it too for the filling then bacon and dry rub with apple smoke. Killer

I mix pulled pork BBQ, Cream Cheese, and some rub, spoon that into the shells and wrap with bacon and sprinkle with more rub and smoke.

Some real good ideas!

This time when I made these I did them in waves. Top grate loaded with peppers, then 30 min later the bottom grate was loaded. Then when the top was done I moved the bottom to the top and added some more on the bottom. It helped spread them out a bit!

I can't be 100% sure I have ever made them the same way twice. I make them with the peppers I want to use at the time, the cheese I want to use at the time, and the meat and/or other things that I have handy or want to use at the time. I've never had one I didn't like.

Cream cheese with pineapple seems to get the most favorable comments. The sweetness of the pineapple really offsets the jalapeno flavor, so that's how I make them most of the time now.

Chuck

I take 1/2 an onion chopped and 1T of sugar and let that sit for 30 mins to get the natural sugar out then mix in cream cheese and wrap each ABT with a whole thin slice of bacon

last ones I made I diced up corizo sausage mixed it with blue cheese and sprinkled it with spanish smoked papriks then wrapped it in bacon and smoked it !! Best ones Ive made so far, darn got my mouth waterin LOL!!!!!!!!!!

grilling24x7 - I like doing them in half boats like you did as well. Much better balance with the filling and bacon.

Yeah, I've always just stuffed them with plain cream cheese and wrapped a half a piece of bacon around them. It's a pain just getting the cream cheese in....not sure I'd want to mess with more cheeses.

The last batch I made were in small assorted sweet peppers stuffed with light cream cheese, rub and turkey smokies... They were then wrapped in turkey bacon. The turkey bacon is pretty delicate to work with, but with care and patience I got it done. My daughter the nutrition nazi ate quite a few to my surprise and I have to admit they were pretty tasty. The next batch will incorporate some of the great ideas in this thread...

Back