Pellets dominating comp bbq

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 13:45
Six of Top Ten KCBS-ranked Teams Smoked on Cookshack's Pellet Smokers

Six of the top ten Kansas City Barbeque Society ranked teams made their way to the top smoking on Fast Eddy's by Cookshack wood-pellet fired smokers.

Six of the Kansas City Barbeque Society's top ten ranked teams climbed to the top while smoking on Fast Eddy's by Cookshack smokers.

Top-ranked Pellet Envy, Iowa's Smokey D's, Butcher BBQ, 4 Legs Up BBQ, I Smell Smoker, and Pork Pullin Plowboys dominated the top ten rankings. Smoke on Wheels, Smoky Mountain Smokers, and KC Can Crew placed in the top 20.

Says long-time champion Ed "Fast Eddy" Maurin, designer of the Fast Eddy's by Cookshack smokers, "Serious competitors have made smoking with pellets a growing trend. Competitors cite consistency of results as a major factor, along with the reliability of thermostatically-controlled heat. These guys go to bed and get a good night's sleep while others are up all night tending the fire."

Love of cooking and competing drives teams, but the cash awards help pay the bills. Carolyn Wells, Executive Director of the Kansas City Barbeque Society, major contest sanctioning organization, estimates that prize money will total about $2.2 million in 2009.

Cookshack Barbecue Equipment
Cookshack manufactures smoker ovens for commercial, home, and competition use under the brand names of Cookshack and Fast Eddy's by Cookshack. Cookshack has an industry-wide reputation for its high quality products and exceptional customer service. The company has been in business for over 40 years and ships its products worldwide. Cookshack is privately held and is located in Oklahoma. Commercial equipment is NSF approved and most models are UL or ETL listed; most stainless steel models are USDA approved. Residential equipment is UL listed. The company's products are made in the USA.

http://www.drinksmediawire.com/afficher_cdp.asp?id=5427&lng=2

This makes a good case for gettin an FEC. Is there a ranking all the smokers? I am going back and forth between an FEC or stumps.

Pellets dominating KCBS

I believe pellet envy has cooked more on his geer this year than pellets. Besides like any good cook will tell you it is the cook not the cooker that makes good que.
Eric

I am planning to change my gear I keep going back and forth between a Backwoods and a Pellet Pooper. I want a trailer that I can pack everything and be able to leave it there until the next Comp

Anyone wanting to see an FEC-100 close up, come by at the Royal.

If I wasnt retiring from comps after this year I would def get one

If I wasnt retiring from comps after this year I would def get one

retirement is not so bad.. you can collect BGE's.

I look forward to your blog entry on this retirement subject...unless you're gonna be like Brett Farve and lead everyone on :wink:

Swamprb and I have been considering an FEC as an addition once our catering business gets up and running. I'd be hard pressed at this point to give up our bullets with the success we've had with them this year at comps. Still...it would be nice to get some shut-eye...:cool:

I believe pellet envy has cooked more on his geer this year than pellets. Besides like any good cook will tell you it is the cook not the cooker that makes good que.
Eric

I was just going to say that.... and I thought Kelly had a modded traeger with a cabinet, and his CS570.... and saying KC Can Crew - cooks in an FEC, now that is a stretch. gotta love marketing folks

But hey, I think they are catching on, I may try one this weekend :razz:

I was just going to say that.... and I thought Kelly had a modded traeger with a cabinet, and his CS570.... and saying KC Can Crew - cooks in an FEC, now that is a stretch. gotta love marketing folks

But hey, I think they are catching on, I may try one this weekend :razz:

I just use mine to set the sauce on my pork slices.

Might as well just make the jump to electric ovens and be done with it. :| Where's the skill? Whats the point? What's next, cooking on an FEC in your yard and posting pictures on the KCBS website for the judges to review??

To me it's no different than rib boliers and Crock Pot Pork butts.

Might as well just make the jump to electric ovens and be done with it. :| Where's the skill? Whats the point? What's next, cooking on an FEC in your yard and posting pictures on the KCBS website for the judges to review??

They probably use MSG, too.

I assume you feel the same way about anyone using a Guru or Stoker. Am I right?

The other 1/2 of the top ten burn logs in Jambo pits (including the guy in first) so all is not lost :p :wink:

Bam!!! I cant believe it took 13 posts! You guys are getting slow:rolleyes:

I want a second FEC after using mine this year. I love it and wish I had gotten it sooner.

say what you want but I think I can get used to drinking beer watching people clean ash out of fire boxes and greasy water pans...........I'll tell you in a few weeks

They probably use MSG, too.

I assume you feel the same way about anyone using a Guru or Stoker. Am I right?

Is using a GURU cheating? Well, call me a bright eyed and bushy tailed SOB, my full nights sleep is priceless!
Cheaters use MSG!:rolleyes:

The other 1/2 of the top ten burn logs in Jambo pits (including the guy in first) so all is not lost :p :wink:
Without Guru's.

I only count one Jambo - Pellet Envy. Didn't Lotta Bull switch cookers? If not, then 2.

Back