THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12ring

Full Fledged Farker
I cook a lot on a disc. Or as most call it here in New Mexico, a disco. Some people call it a wok.

My kids play travel baseball and travel softball so we cook out a lot at tournaments. On breezy days my old burner would blow out or it would have a very inconsistent flame.

I bought a new burner and got this drum to help stop that problem. I’m wondering about my set up though. I know propane is heavier than air so I want to make sure I’m not going to blow myself up.

The first pic shows how the burner and drum go together.

303955877ec5d0d8246a3c3e26af819d.jpg

In this picture I have the burner sitting on the drum and the disc sitting in the burner. There’s a 1” to 1.5” or so gap between the disc and the top of the drum. This way there’s air flow. With it this way, I don’t think the flame would blow out on a windy day but who knows.

f6d3915629ea49e4ab86d1f030cef2e1.jpg

Now here’s what I want to do. I want to rest the disc right on top of the drum so there’s no way the wind can blow the flame out. I also think it looks cleaner this way.

a4913b026dc9c81c0c2951cc79894138.jpg

If I do it this way, I’ll use 4 stainless steel screws to hold up the burner to where it sits right under the lid of the drum.

My worry is if I have it this way, can propane settle in the bottom of the drum because there’s no gap at the top to let it breathe? I don’t want my 20 pound metal disc blowing up off the top of the drum into my face.

Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not an expert at all but that does look like you run the risk of blowing yourself up. As long as things stay lit you're okay but if it ever did go out, struggle to light etc, you could have a very bad outcome.

I think you'd be okay if you cut some vents in the bottom. Might defeat the purpose as wind swirls in but having them that far from the flame hopefully it wouldn't be an issue. It would give the gas somewhere to go in the event of an leak though.

I'd put a few vents in the bottom. I don't think they'd screw up your windbreak anyway, but you could choose to leave the upwind side closed
What you want is the propane to NOT pool if there is a leak or flameout.

If you've ever thought about converting a gas grill to a smoker, you'll have noticed the things are built like swiss cheese, so that they can never build up unburnt fuel and explode.

1" metal hole saw bit and a drill. I think two holes 180 apart near the bottom would work fine.

Disc sitting directly on the drum will prevent wind from being an issue.
But it will also prevent complete combustion. If you could even keep it lit.
Those burners require a tremendous amount of airflow, up drafting through the burner, for combustion.

Your disc sitting directly on the drum does not allow for air, flame, or heat to escape the barrel. Your slot cut for the burner manifold will be the only escape route, assuming you cut air intakes at the bottom of the drum.

Second picture, with air intakes into the bottom of the drum, would work.

Cool project!

Disc sitting directly on the drum will prevent wind from being an issue.
But it will also prevent complete combustion. If you could even keep it lit.
Those burners require a tremendous amount of airflow, up drafting through the burner, for combustion.

Your disc sitting directly on the drum does not allow for air, flame, or heat to escape the barrel. Your slot cut for the burner manifold will be the only escape route, assuming you cut air intakes at the bottom of the drum.

Second picture, with air intakes into the bottom of the drum, would work.

Cool project!

Thanks for all the replies. I was about to drill the holes to support the disc flat on the drum when I realized I would probably mess up the airflow. Im still going to rest the burner on screws but I’ll do it so there’s a 1/2” gap all the way around.

When it’s done, I’ll paint it and add handles to make it easier to transport from state to state for tournaments.

Damn it. I wanted the disc a 1/2” above the drum but I didn’t snap that the curvature of the disc was going to change things. It ended up being 1” higher.

de78a5920d70bab6d5a94baac33e827e.jpg

I measured from where the disc was going to rest to the top of the drum and came up with half a inch like this. To many beers while I’m figuring numbers, measuring, cutting and drilling I guess.

65719656da8d307a7311c71973198281.jpg

It’s windy out and seems to be fine, but it bugs me that I was off on my calculations. I’m a little OCD I guess.

I might drill the holes 1/2” lowers and use a big stainless steel washer to hide the ones I messed up on. Dang it. It drives me nuts I did that.

Wind defiantly a factor. That burner is from a wok stove. It was made to be used inside and never outside. There are burners made to be used outside. This ain't one of them. Look for Creole cooking.

What if you lower the burner so the disc rests on the lip of the drum, then drill a few 1 inch holes around the drum lid. That is basicly what my Wok has. A ring that has holes in it that sets over my gas stove burner.

Since ya will be cooking on it, I would think ya would notice if the flame was extinguished.
I probably wouldn't bother using it on a windy day... possibly use charcoal like a member suggested above...that in my opinion would be best.

Or vent it.... remember...if ya blow yerself up they will speak of ya fer years ta come!
Tales will be told, memes will be made..
Glory...

-D

That gap between your disc and the barrel is not a bad thing at all. If it wasn’t there, the burner would be unable to exhaust to support combustion. As others have suggested, cut vent holes in the bottom of the barrel, primarily to provide inlet air for combustion. The explosion issue is another animal. Under certain conditions, even with the vents, you could be at great risk if someone tries to light/relight when raw gas is below the burner. The only way to safely reduce that risk is by installing a proper gas control valve that will automatically shut off the gas flow whenever there is no flame.

I decided it was bugging me that the disc was sitting higher than I planned. I lowered it 1/2” and used big washers to cover the old holes. I like this height much better.

54a1daa9319232e97a67e9f1d9d93bc0.jpg

Here is how it looks set up. I also drilled 4 half in holes around to bottom for ventilation.
533ec7651f05fdc2e06733f5a490ceb1.jpg

It’s windy today (like everyday in March) and the flame looks great. The wind isn’t bothering it.

ba340fcb874e9c4c77ef80f0d81ab851.jpg

Thanks for all the help so far. I’m not done with the project.

Since ya will be cooking on it, I would think ya would notice if the flame was extinguished.
I probably wouldn't bother using it on a windy day... possibly use charcoal like a member suggested above...that in my opinion would be best.

Or vent it.... remember...if ya blow yerself up they will speak of ya fer years ta come!
Tales will be told, memes will be made..
Glory...

-D

Well now you guys got me thinking. I could make a charcoal basket and hang it off the bolts that hold up my burner. This is a charcoal ring I use in my Weber that I threw in there only for the picture that way you can see what I’m talking about. It will be bigger and have a bottom obviously.

22860687668e7e43b99c5e5dd758eb5a.jpg

Back