THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My point was not that I would not eat it, just that I woould not know well prepared salmon to non-well prepared salmon.

And no, I am not going to step away from the judging table based on what someone might turn in, you roll the dice with your AB entry, if you think it maybe something that the main stream does not like, you better think twice about entering it!

We're not talking about crickets or pigeon gizzards here, but the third most popular fish sold in the United States (after tuna and shrimp). http://www.iser.uaa.alaska.edu/Publications/greatsalmonrun/SalmonReport_Ch_8.pdf

If you consider such an item "outside the mainstream" then IMO you really shouldn't be judging an open category like Anything But. Since there are usually more judges than entries in such ancillary categories, it should be no problem for the judging coordinator to fill your seat with someone who can properly judge such an entry, and you can stick to the primary meat categories where the entries are more predictable.

I don't know... As a kid I was forced to eat salmon patties, bones and all... I don't even like to look at it now. Salmon patties and lima beans for dinner alway made for a long long night...

I like salmon and I like peppers, about any type, except maybe a Bhut Jolokia :shock: :eek:.
I don't care for cooked cabbage. I like kraut, slaw, etc.
Everyone has something they don't like to eat.

We're not talking about crickets or pigeon gizzards here, but the third most popular fish sold in the United States (after tuna and shrimp). http://www.iser.uaa.alaska.edu/Publications/greatsalmonrun/SalmonReport_Ch_8.pdf

If you consider such an item "outside the mainstream" then IMO you really shouldn't be judging an open category like Anything But. Since there are usually more judges than entries in such ancillary categories, it should be no problem for the judging coordinator to fill your seat with someone who can properly judge such an entry, and you can stick to the primary meat categories where the entries are more predictable.

You keep entering Salmon in your AB and I will keep judging!

I love Salmon! I also love just about any other fish/crustation as well.

Bentley - After some of your posts about unfair or unreasonable scores at competitions, wouldn't it be best that you stepped away from the judges table when a dish you know you don't like arrived? If you were allergic to fish and someone turned in fish, are you going to DQ them because you couldn't eat it? This is AB, just let it go.

any input would be great.. thank

Go on just open wide here comes the train and it wants to go into the station Chooooo-Chooooooooooooo..

11ghqxc.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know... As a kid I was forced to eat salmon patties, bones and all... I don't even like to look at it now. Salmon patties and lima beans for dinner alway made for a long long night...
took me a long time to get over that too. Hated the dang things and mom made em alot. It was a only a few years ago that I finally got the courage up to try GOOD salmon. To this day i think i would barf if i had to eat a salmon patty.

let me first start off by saying that you to everyone for your input on this topic.

i am not a judge and do not plan to judge in the future.. but if i did i would def give it a good taste and i would judge it and score it accordingly. i like to think i have a very advanced pallate and also i have a very good sence of fish.

i have eaten many different types of salmon and i wonder what everone cooks..

i can call myself a hipocrite i guess since i chew on cream cheese and lox on a more than weekly basis and also eat philadelphia rolls at my local sushia house!! :lol::lol:

i have tried the pacific northwest, the freshwater, the saltwater, the sockeye, the coho, the every kind of salmon you can think of and it just doesnt do me any justice.. while i was growing up my mother ate this stuff poached!!! :eek::eek:

i have tried it so many times and i just cant get the taste for it at all.

what i would like to bring up to the forumn here since i know this is the place for it..

what kind of salmon do you prefer to smoke!?
how do you get it?! (filet, whole, headed/gutted)!?
rub it or brine it?!?
what kind of wood?!
what temp?!?
how long?!/

anything else that might change my mind.. i am goign to get a piece and mayeb try it this weekend but need a little learnin!!

help a brotha out!!

thanks guys and gals!

IBentley - After some of your posts about unfair or unreasonable scores at competitions, wouldn't it be best that you stepped away from the judges table when a dish you know you don't like arrived? If you were allergic to fish and someone turned in fish, are you going to DQ them because you couldn't eat it? This is AB, just let it go.

I dont ever think I said they were unfair, just that I did not understand where the judges learned the criteria they were applying.

After thinking about your and CivilWars post, it probably would be wise to step aside for a Salmon entry. I have judged for several years Robert, and I do not believe we have a pool of waiting back up judges once a contest starts. Maybe they do in other parts of the country. I will ask the next time I judge and an entry question like this arises. If I can recluse myself from the entry I will be happy to do so. Do I think they will get an other judge to score it, no. I do not know if the entry would then get 5 scores and not 6 or 5 scores and a 1? You are going to throw the low score out anyway.

As I said eariler, I tend to favor the team if it is an entry I have difficulty knowing what excellence is in that food. Clovis 2007 was an example, a team turned in a beautiful Salmon entry. They turned in a whole fish, with cucumbers as the scales. I gave it a 9 for apperance, the meat seemed to me to be firm, but tender (I am not sure exactly what perfect textured salmon should taste like) gave it an 8 on texture, where I had the problem was taste, like I said I would not know good salmone form bad. I gave it a 7, could it have been a 9...? Am I going to give a team a 3 because I do not like the taste of salmon, no, but next time I will ask the rep to be excluded and the team can receive no score. It appears that is what you to feel I should do?

As far as not judging any AB because there might be Salmon or some other entry I do not like...Well I appreciate both your opinions, but dont hold your breath for that to happen!

Back