THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQEsquire

Knows what a fatty is.
I tried bring back older threads but they were too old to post in.

Question: Who is cooking the the Whole Spare Rib? The craze right now is the ST. Louis Style aka Big Baby Backs (BBB) cut. Outside of Comps, is there any benefit to cutting them down? Does anyone cook the Whole Spare Rib and then trim it down? Just Curious.

I rarely cook any ribs other than whole spareribs. All I do is remove the membrane, rub them, and cook. I think they have more flavor. It is easier to cut the tips off after cooking, if someone doesn't want them.

Baby Backs aka Loin Backs are a different cut than Spareribs they much leaner than Spares.

I used to cut my Spares into STL's and Tips then cook, now I cook the whole Spare, I actually like them better that way. I do cut the flap off the back like I would when dressing Spares into STL's and Tips.

Baby Backs aka Loin Backs are a different cut than Spareribs they much leaner than Spares.

I used to cut my Spares into STL's and Tips then cook, now I cook the whole Spare, I actually like them better that way. I do cut the flap off the back like I would when dressing Spares into STL's and Tips.

I will admit that I sometimes trim off the bits that will just get crisped up, including the flap if it's small, and throw them into a ziplock bag in the freezer. A couple times a year, I run them through the food processor to make ground pork to mix with beef for meatloaf. I did that yesterday, ended up with 1 1/2 lbs.

I like St. Louis because they are symmetrical and fit nicely in the smoker. However, I often cook whole spares and do no trimming prior to the cook.

LOL......I know. I just call them Big Baby Backs.

Do you always pull the membranes?

"Do you always pull the membranes?"
I do before cooking. Others don't, because they disappear during cooking, for them. Never happened for me. They can be removed after cooking.

I rarely cook any ribs other than whole spareribs. All I do is remove the membrane, rub them, and cook. I think they have more flavor. It is easier to cut the tips off after cooking, if someone doesn't want them.

Same here!!

I cook them all, I like the spares due to lots of meat and typically lower price point. When STL's and baby backs are on sale I will go that route. To be honest I probably buy the 3 in a pack rib tips from Walmart (Smithfield extra tender) most often. They are very meaty cook in just a couple of hours or so and the everyday price is $1.36 a pound.

I cook them all, I like the spares due to lots of meat and typically lower price point. When STL's and baby backs are on sale I will go that route. To be honest I probably buy the 3 in a pack rib tips from Walmart (Smithfield extra tender) most often. They are very meaty cook in just a couple of hours or so and the everyday price is $1.36 a pound.

Are you cooking hot to get them done so fast.

I have just been going with the St. Louis lately when catering. So much easier with larger quantities. If it is for me or a small quantity, I go full and use the trimmings for other stuff.

Are you cooking hot to get them done so fast.

The tips are not all that big so they cook faster than BBacks... I usually cook 275 to 300. When doing tips I like to use a water pan on the FB side of the cooker, helps keep the tips from drying out. Also I fold the thin flaps on the tips over on themselves.

Depends on whom I'm cooking for. Lots of people don't like the fat or the cartilage, so I often go with a st Louis trim. If cooking for myself, I leave them whole.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I trim the flaps off the spares that's just meat. Without the fat they will get dry real quick in a 5-6 hour smoke. I leave the tips on unless I'm cooking for company. Presentation is everything.

I leave the tips on unless I'm cooking for company. Presentation is everything.
Glad the company I cook for couldn't care less about presentation or if the Ribs are served as Full Spares or St Louis cut. They are just happy to get a moist, tender and tasty Rib to shove in their mouth.

I used to dress all my Spares out into St Louis Cut and Tips easy todo and takes less than a minute, cooked a couple of Full Slabs and enjoyed eating them more so than the dressed out Ribs, so if I'm cooking them that's how I'm serving them, 90% of the time I serve them dry too because that's how I like them, sauce on the table. They look better glazed but if I put sauce on Ribs or any other BBQ for that matter it's because it's dried out and or needs doctored up to taste good.

To each his/her own though, whatever stokes your fire.

If I buy full spares....I always trim them prior to smoking.

Non of us care for the tips and I can fit more of them on flat on my grates if they are trimmed (small real estate on kamado and kettles).

BB's & Spares

Yesterday I smoker both BB's & full Spares..The spares were much better. BB's had a big layer of fat between the meat, where as the spares were mostly all meat except for the tips.The spares even had much better taste and texture to them.
DanB

Last edited:
Back