THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I didn't want to bring up the old thread, but where do we stand with the potluck dinner? Is anyone still willing or is it a bust? I'm putting together a final shopping list and I need to know what to add. We're still willing to host and will handle the utesils and such. Please let me know the deal so I can figure things out. Thanks. Matt

I think it was still a go. We were planning on it I'm pretty sure. It was location that was the problem

Thanks Skip. I posted that we have a large site and as long as a couple of us next to each other are willing, it could be done. Bring your own chair, and maybe a table or two by nearby Brethren and it should work. Will wait to see other posts. Matt

I didn't want to bring up the old thread, but where do we stand with the potluck dinner? Is anyone still willing or is it a bust? I'm putting together a final shopping list and I need to know what to add. We're still willing to host and will handle the utesils and such. Please let me know the deal so I can figure things out. Thanks. Matt
I can't give a definite answer because I don't know how many family/friends might show up since we are local. We might 15 guests or nobody:confused:
dave
red planet bbq

we are game for pot luck. I think there will be 4 of us.
Thanks for spearheading this.
Nancee

We will plan on having it. We can work out details once we get on site. We should be there about 8-830 on Saturday morning and set up a time that works. We are not doing the grilling so the time is up to those that are. What would work for everyone? Please get the word out so that everyone knows. Thanks. Matt

As of right now I am working on sat and wont get there until late sat afternoon so I wont have time to make anything for the potluck

we are game for pot luck. I think there will be 4 of us.
Thanks for spearheading this.
Nancee

Yes thanks...

We will be 3 to 4 ... may be practising Pizza...or...trimming chicken but...we will try to bring something to contribute... could do Nancee's favorite...PASTA!!!!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Does anyone know how the iron chef works. I know u get secret ingredients but what are you serving it on? Also, what can and can not be used in the dishes.
For the Iron Chef Competition Saturday Night, you will receive a protein, a starch, a vegetable and perhaps one more 'secret' ingredient to incorporate into your dishes. Taste, presentation, etc will be up to your own creativeness. Pretty much anything goes here-open garnish and please bring your choice of platters to present your masterpiece.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_13395611?source=most_emailed

Blues, Views and BBQ Festival heats up in Wesport

By Christina Hennessy
Staff Writer
Posted: 09/22/2009 06:08:21 PM EDT
Updated: 09/23/2009 08:08:37 AM EDT

Click photo to enlarge

20090916__go0924bbq%7E002_VIEWER.jpg
20090916__go0924bbq%7E003_VIEWER.jpg
20090916__go0924bbq%7E001_VIEWER.jpg

Barbecue and blues have their distinct flavors -- mixed together they make a special event.
This weekend, the Blues, Views and BBQ Festival, presented by the Westport Downtown Merchants Association, will take place along the Saugatuck River in downtown Westport. The event will include children's events, outdoor cooking demonstrations and food and beverages for purchase.
Last year, an estimated 10,000 people visited the festival, said Bob LeRose, a Stamford resident who worked to launch this event last year. He opened Bobby Q's Barbeque and Grill in Westport five years ago.
LeRose, who is association president, said, "most importantly, everybody who came to it, loved it."
Perhaps that is because barbecue has grown in popularity over the past several years. Last year, 35 professional teams competed for cash prizes and the distinction of being named a grand champion in a Kansas City Barbeque Society-sanctioned cookoff.
Steve Zeravica, of the Long Island, N.Y.-based R2BQ barbecue team, earned that title last year and will be back to defend it.
Zeravica said he comes up with his own recipes through trial and error. He credits a TV show on barbecuing with inspiring him to start whipping up new and flavorful meals. "Before that, I was a hamburger and hot dog guy," he said.
Bob Colcan said he and a team of friends will compete in the amateur "backyard competition." The $100 team entry fee will be donated to the Connecticut Food

Bank, LeRose said. Competition entries are available at the Web site bluesviewsbbq.com. Colcan and his team placed third last year in the chicken category.
"Part of the fun of it is that three or four weeks before the event, we come together and try recipes," he said, adding that barbecue inspires experimentation -- considering the trick is a winning mix of sauces and spices, combined with just the right amount of cooking time and heat.
The festival is only one part barbecue and organizers have made sure the lip-smacking event is a toe-tapping one as well. Two days of music from the Levitt Pavilion stage will feature the different styles of blues, from swing to hard rock, to rhythm and blues and soul.
LeRose credited Crispin Cioe, a saxophonist and co-founder the Uptown Horns who has played with bands such as the Rolling Stones, Coldplay, James Brown and the James Montgomery Band, with helping to create an eclectic and authentic sound.
Cioe, who has lived in Westport for the past eight years, said he enjoyed performing last year with his band Cracked Ice, and offered to come back and perform and help create the lineup.
"We kicked around a lot of ideas," Cioe said. "Bob just really loves music and loves to research it. I would give him ideas and tell him to check it out."
That legwork has resulted in a schedule of blues greats and rising stars. For instance, the renowned blues guitarist Hubert Sumlin, who played with Howlin' Wolf for many years, is expected to appear at 5 p.m. Saturday. Luke Mulholland, a young Canadian guitarist whose skills as a performer, singer and songwriter have attracted the attention of fans and critics, will perform earlier in the day.
"To have Hubert Sumlin as the headliner is a great, great thing," Cioe said.
Other highlights include the Cracked Ice Blues Revue, featuring blues legend James Montgomery, guitarist Jay Geils and New London-born, renowned harmonica player Richard "Magic Dick" Saliitz, two of the original members of The J. Geils Band
Cioe said the fact that the performances are outdoors lends a special feeling to the event.
"There are moments at its best, when there is nothing like it," he said. "Being outdoors has its own special flavor."
And music is just one flavor Cioe will be thinking about at the festival. When asked whether he was a fan of barbecue, Cioe responded with conviction, "Yes, I am."
The Blues, Views and BBQ Festival will be this weekend in downtown Westport. The hours are 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday (gates close at 6 p.m.); 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday (gates close at 5 p.m.). Admission per day is $10 adults; $5 students and seniors; 5 and under free. 917-446-2921, www.bluesviewsbbq.com.

Sledcast

Saturday, Sep 26

02.gif

High: 65 °F RealFeel®: 64 °F
Mostly sunny

Saturday Night, Sep 26
18.gif

Low: 57 °F RealFeel®: 51 °F
Breezy and rainy

Sunday, Sep 27
07.gif

High: 70 °F RealFeel®: 68 °F
Mostly cloudy and breezy with a chance of rain

Sunday Night, Sep 27
34.gif

Low: 58 °F RealFeel®: 56 °F
Mainly clear

Looks like it's going to be a great weekend. Wish I was coming again this year but need some quality time with the family before trekking to the American Royal Wednesday. Good luck all!

Back