Their scores for pork are as follows...

Judge 1: 21.2000
Judge 2: 21.2000
Judge 3: 21.2000
Judge 4: 23.4972
Judge 5: 22.3428
Judge 6: 25.7828
Total: 114.0228

How is that a DQ when all judges are to score a 1 in all criteria?
I was a judge at that table. We were told only to score a 1 for appearance and enter scores for taste, tenderness, by the rep.

It's only 1's for appearance. Taste and tenderness are scored as usual.

"A score of one (1) is a disqualification and requires approval by a Contest Rep. Grounds for disqualification:

All judges will give a one (1) in Appearance for unapproved garnish, pooled sauce or less than 6 samples of meat. All judges will give a one (1) in all criteria for sculptured meat, a marked turn-in container, foreign object in the container, incorrect meat. All judges not receiving a sample will give a one (1) in all criteria."

It's only 1's for appearance. Taste and tenderness are scored as usual.

I was a judge at that table. We were told only to score a 1 for appearance and enter scores for taste, tenderness, by the rep.

What am I missing? The rule states 1's for all criteria.

From the rules (bolding by me):

9) Meat shall not be sculptured, branded or presented in a
way to make it identifiable. Rosettes of meat slices are not
allowed. Violations of this rule will be scored a one (1) on all
criteria by all six judges.

So speedracer you were at table 1. Judge 3 was a tough judge at that table. Seem to be the lowest scoring judge of the contest. didnt seem like he/she liked any entry.

So speedracer you were at table 1. Judge 3 was a tough judge at that table. Seem to be the lowest scoring judge of the contest. didnt seem like he/she liked any entry.

Yes, absolutely. I don't normally look at others scores, but at first he scored this box in question higher than a decent looking box with a verity of pork.
Besides the chef's score-sheet, is there anywhere to see the individual judges scores?
He was a nice guy. I don't know his background. He didn't complain too much.

What am I missing? The rule states 1's for all criteria.

From the rules (bolding by me):
[/LEFT]

I'm not saying it is right. Just saying that is what it looks like happened.

21.2 would be 1,6,6
23.4972 = 1,7,6
22.3428 = 1,6,7
25.7828 = 1,7,8

Judge 1: 21.2000
Judge 2: 21.2000
Judge 3: 21.2000
Judge 4: 23.4972
Judge 5: 22.3428
Judge 6: 25.7828
Total: 114.0228

I am the pitmaster of that sorry a**ed box and thought I'd chime in. First, I'd like to thank Patrick, I wouldn't have posted this myself but don't mind talking about it. Our pork came out over done and we couldn't get any good slices, hence the box of pulled. We decided to make the square shape not knowing that it was against the rules, we certainly didn't want to circumvent the concept of blind judging. After Mike Lake told me that we'd received a DQ for appearance he told me that he knew we weren't trying to tip anyone off and Troy Black told me the same thing. I asked if I could appeal and was told I could take it up with the KCBS Board. I have no intention of doing this, I'm taking my lumps and looking to do better next time.

As to whether I deserved to get 1's for the entire entry I can't speak to this but since I already finished DAL I guess it really can't get any worse.

Still had a great time, met some great folks and plan to be back again.

And as if all this wasn't enough we got pulled over at the entrance to the Queen's Midtown Tunnel and asked to open our van. The let us go pretty quickly but the cops did tell me I was the second team they had stopped coming from Medford, I'm thinking BBQ Mafia but I could be wrong.

And as if all this wasn't enough we got pulled over at the entrance to the Queen's Midtown Tunnel and asked to open our van. The let us go pretty quickly but the cops did tell me I was the second team they had stopped coming from Medford, I'm thinking BBQ Mafia but I could be wrong.

Don't sweat this part. They are just making sure no propane goes into the tunnel.

That pork came to my table. (I was not the one who called it out.)
I thought the appearance was a 5 or 6 and scored it before another judge called the table captain on it. Who called the rep over.
Mike Lake looked at it for about 10 seconds and declared it molded.
Technically, maybe yes, but I would have let it be judged on it's own.

There's no doubt it was molded. There is no doubt it makes for kind of an ugly pork box. :becky: (next time blackeyedpig, just pile it in there - but not like I did in the next post :becky: ) I don't get that it would be a DQ though.

My understanding is that the purpose of the rule is to prevent teams from turning in something that would indicate which team submitted it. I mean we couldn't turn in pork that formed a giant "Z" in the box, right?

Mike Lake is a very experienced rep (and a former KCBS president), so I'm sure he knows the ins and outs of this much better than I do, but I'm kind of surprised its a DQ.

Last edited:
I almost got a DQ in 2008 for sculpting. The table captain called the rep over for a review. The rep determined it wasn't intentional, so we didn't get the DQ. We were, however, warned later that it was close to it. It is also one ugly ass box, and we did finish DAL in the category anyway.

Even if the rep doesn't DQ it, the fact that someone calls the rep kind of kills your score. (Yes, we also killed it ourselves. It was our 4th contest and we had no idea what we were doing. The 5th contest we cleaned up the box and finished 3rd in pork.)

Behold the DAL pork box:

Attachments

• IMG_4288.jpg
    IMG_4288.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 125
that DQ is a joke.

i hope someone in some form of KCBS authority can explain the reasoning.

(unless as written prior, the team name is square pork pile BBQ, which it is not)

Mike Lake was adamant that it was molding and that his decision was final unless I wanted to take it to the board which I'm not going to do. Troy Black said to me that if he was going to show someone a picture of what a "molded" box looked like he would use my box.

Im curious for those in this thread that are saying that it was a bad call and questioning mike lake. Have any of you ever turned in an entry like that?

Sled, I in no way am challenging the experience or even judgment of Mike Lake..even considering my classic Boston attitude that would be a bit funny (read=insane). I posted this because I obvioulsy do not understand a rule that I thought I understood and as I suspected by this thread I am not the only one.

The beauty of this forum is that we can discuss and share our thoughts and experience....aka LEARN.

I think this box is proof there is a grey area between making an appealing presentation and crossing the line to break the rule in question.

I have never put just pulled in a box so my answer to your question is no.

I have and frequently do place meat in the box where an outside say half inch border garnish conforms to the shape of the box and the rest is pretty much all meat.

This box has inspired the following questions in my rookie mind:

Is cooking chicken in a muffin tin so they are all perfectly uniform sculpting?

Is laying 4 over 4 ribs with the top and bottom edge dead ass even and pretty much covering the exact same square as the pork box in question sculpting?

Is laying a MM on the diagonal and filling in the obvious triangles in each corner of the box with pulls, uniform chunks or even neatly formed piles of chopped molding?

Is trimming brisket slices to all be 8 inches or cutting burnt ends exactly the same shape and laying them out to cover the exact same square as the pork box in question sculpting?

If a perfect square of meat in a square box is sculpting I should be DQ'd on a regular basis.

So the point is where is the line for breaking the rule? Maybe its not the square shape but the seemingly flat shaped plateau or third dimention that crossed the line.

I would just like to understand the rule better so I can not put my thousand dollar investment in a competition weekend in jeapordy.

Im curious for those in this thread that are saying that it was a bad call and questioning mike lake. Have any of you ever turned in an entry like that?

The rule, as written, says no sculpting, and it was clearly sculpted. After thinking about it more, I agree Mike made the right call.

I think people generally interpret the rule to mean "you can't do anything in the box that could identify the team", and a square isn't unique enough to do that. People are questioning that, but that isn't what the rule actually says.

Patrick, I think it's like the legal system. When the law has gaps, the courts clarify the law. Common practices and rep advisories provide the clarity. Most of the instances you cite are commonly used. Muffin pan chicken is not going to DQ you, and neither is carefully placed meat. I bet you couldn't make that shape with your ruler and your tweezers...not in the time you have anyway. It was done with a box mold.

Back