THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I used some for the first time today. It was hard to start, my normal process is to put an olive oil soaked paper towel in a Weber Chimney and light it. This process has worked for 12 years for me with all sorts of charcoal. In this case, the paper towel burned out before the charcoal lit. Once it was lit, ran fine. There were a lot of large pieces of charcoal in the bag, why is it so dense? Anyone know why? I did not see any dimensional lumber in the bag.

Chris

My local Wally World has 80 in stock I think I'll pick some up tonite got 2 18 lbs bags of KBB from Lowe's today for 9 dollars more charcoal won't hurt

I used this lump for the first time and seemed to pop and crackle a lot during startup. It continued to pop and spark quite a bit until after it had been burning for a while. Is this normal with lump or did get a bad bag? As you can probably tell I haven’t use much lump but for the price and the good reviews from the brethren I figured what the heck.

Most lump will pop and crack when lighting. RO does it also. I really don't know how the pop crackle compares between the two. I quit paying attention to it a couple years ago.

Just tried this today for the first time. Might be able to play basketball with this after the cooking is done.

I have never encountered so many gigantic pieces in a bag of lump. This is just what I found when opening it up.

Size comparison to a standard briquette

Got 8 more bags last weekend as the $7.88 discount was too good to pass up since that $5/bag didn't seem like it would him my area. Stores are getting low.
qhxn97Rl.jpg

Then had to go to Walmart today to grab something and even though online still listed it for $7.88 I looked and they had 5 backs shoved on the rack discounted to $4.43 a bag and I bought them all :-D. Guy said they had literally discounted them this morning.
5jYf53el.jpg

CrYXvQal.jpg

Running out of room to store them all :clap2:

Got 8 more bags last weekend as the $7.88 discount was too good to pass up since that $5/bag didn't seem like it would him my area. Stores are getting low.
qhxn97Rl.jpg

Then had to go to Walmart today to grab something and even though online still listed it for $7.88 I looked and they had 5 backs shoved on the rack discounted to $4.43 a bag and I bought them all :-D. Guy said they had literally discounted them this morning.
5jYf53el.jpg

CrYXvQal.jpg

Running out of room to store them all :clap2:
Making room for wreaths and Christmas trees in August.

Royal oak smell soooo good even before it's lit. Once lit, does it matter whether it's RO or Western? I mean, does it make any difference in flavor?

Royal oak smell soooo good even before it's lit. Once lit, does it matter whether it's RO or Western? I mean, does it make any difference in flavor?

Personally I can't taste a difference among the brands of lump, so I look for some decent size lump. I'd rather have huge logs than a bunch crumbs. I've found this Western to be a mixed bag.. literally.

It's all fuel and I don't notice any difference in taste. I think Western is better than RO with good mix of big, medium, and small pieces at fraction of cost of RO.

Personally I can't taste a difference among the brands of lump, so I look for some decent size lump. I'd rather have huge logs than a bunch crumbs. I've found this Western to be a mixed bag.. literally.

I can't taste the difference either. I like big lump too and found Kamado Joe charcoal to have the biggest lump pieces. But Kamado Joe lump is expensive even you buy it at Costco Roadshow. Western, RO, and Cowboy are all the same to me. Whichever is the cheapest gets my dollar.

Back