THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"...Wagyu is the pretty prom date that wants to go as friends. However, she wants to drink for the first time that night...you never know...I'll see you all at the Wood Pile."

Well said my friend. We've cooked with wagyu from snake river and it was damn good, I mean DAMN GOOD. but you gotta look at the history of bbq and see that it still holds true. BBQ was formed by taking the crappy cuts and turning em into gold, and I firmly believe that is still true. A CAB brisket, when done right can challenge any wagyu brisket out there. It all comes down to the cook.

So instead of paying lots of money to take that hot prom date that only wants to be friends and may or may not get tanked...I say always bet on the ugly one that will show you a helluva time! :amen:

wow!!! there is some wisdom in that!

I like to think of waygu more as a Mark McGuire,...... better because it has been using legal supplement and natural hard work. :becky:It might break a few records over its relative short career but people will always think "yeah but......."

pork collars, now they're a Canseco....:becky:

Does anyone know how a prime angus brisket cooks up compared to a wagyu? I'm looking for options since I've decided not to play SRF's game.

Does anyone know how a prime angus brisket cooks up compared to a wagyu? I'm looking for options since I've decided not to play SRF's game.

I noticed that you're in AZ. I would definitely call Strube ranch and try their wagyu. You should be within 2 day shipping range, making the price for shipping around $12 per brisket, plus $4.50 per lb. I ordered a 17.25 lb brisket from them today, it cost just over $100. I'm willing to pay that for wagyu.

The number for strube is (903)-856-5768

We're cooking the one I ordered on sunday, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I usually cook CABs and do pretty well. Lately the best I can find locally is IBP Choice. We'll see how these $40 pieces of meat do this weekend against the $200 fancy-shmansy stuff. :boxing:

I usually cook CABs and do pretty well. Lately the best I can find locally is IBP Choice. We'll see how these $40 pieces of meat do this weekend against the $200 fancy-shmansy stuff. :boxing:

I am sure a brisket master like yourself will turn those Choice Packers into a winner! Good luck this weekend!

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub

I like to think of waygu more as a Mark McGuire,...... better because it has been using legal supplement and natural hard work. :becky:It might break a few records over its relative short career but people will always think "yeah but......."

Ummm dude?

McGuire juiced his butt off for most of his career.. so probably not a good analogy.
Just sayin'

I'm offering 50 cents to anyone that wants to make a phone call to somebody who actually gives a chit about any of this non-sense.

You compete with what you can legally compete with, move on and behave like adults.

It's kinda funny that someone is going to b!tch about the rest of us b!tching....brings you down to our level.

Ummm dude?

McGuire juiced his butt off for most of his career.. so probably not a good analogy.
Just sayin'

which was legal, or at minimum wasn't banned by his sanctioning body....

waygu is legal by all definitions. Does it give a competitor a distinct advantage?that, like steriods is the heart of the debate.

waygu is a Mark Mcguire... :thumb:

thank you very much, I think you just demonstrated the "yeah but" that I was talking about..........:becky:

Read this whole thread. I'm exhausted....:crazy:

So, if a wagyu and the best non-wagyu available were sitting on a table and both were free....which one would you pick up and throw on your pit? Is it purely a cost discussion and return on investment or do you prefer not to cook wagyu?

I am disappointed in how this thread developed so maybe we can discuss more points relative to the original post. Cannot offer any help on a supplier for wagu brisket. Have wanted to try one, but the cost has bothered me. We are going to order some prime grade (we are thining about $4.00 lb) for an April comp and see if we notice a difference. Kinda compromise on the price points and our local meat guy can order them anytime. Would love to try a wagu sometime though just to see.

I am disappointed in how this thread developed so maybe we can discuss more points relative to the original post. Cannot offer any help on a supplier for wagu brisket. Have wanted to try one, but the cost has bothered me. We are going to order some prime grade (we are thining about $4.00 lb) for an April comp and see if we notice a difference. Kinda compromise on the price points and our local meat guy can order them anytime. Would love to try a wagu sometime though just to see.
Though not sure how far this has gotten off topic from the original post, the KEY point remains....learn to cook a decent cut of properly seasoned brisket perfectly, and it will beat almost any brisket out there, almost every time. Personally...I'll leave the designer cuts to those that feel they lack the ability to cook an "ordinary" brisket perfectly.:thumb:

Haha, now that's damn funny... :thumb:

Let's get this thread back on task. First, Wagyu brisket is not a special cut. It's a different breed. So, I just wanted to clear that up. It's legal. Unlike Pork Collar cuts of pork. :-D

Second, if you are looking for alternate sources, you can find them. I did a little research and found a source that can provide high quality Wagyu for a lot less than what SNF is asking. Also, the source is within my "range" where I can pick it up directly...saving the shipping cost.

Personally, I'm not planning to use Wagyu, because the return on investment just doesn't justify itself as compared to Choice+ CAB briskets. However, for those still ordering from SRF, I suggest you look for alternate sources, so SRF doesn't end up monopolizing the market. The provider I spoke with could provide 8+ grade Wagyu for $4/lb.

Good luck!

Back