THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An excellent tutorial on how to cook indirect using the Minion Method (although like J_Don and Pappy, I always leave the top vent open), but I disagree with the assumption that it's the way to grill everything. I often use this technique for bone-in poultry, roasts, some vegetables, meatloaf, and sometimes brats. But for steaks, burgers, chops, and hot dogs, I cook direct. I vary the temperature depending on the food (direct high for steaks, direct medium for burgers and dogs, etc.), but except for extra thick steaks, which I finish indirect, the meat is over the fire the whole time. I get good grill marks with a steel cooking grate and no butter or oil. I've been doing this a long time and people seem to think I do it well; I'm always asked to do the grilling at neighborhood and family gatherings.

Arthur, I'm sure you're an expert using the grill and I would guess you get excellent results. I just wanted to point out that there are a lot of us who get good results over a direct fire and wouldn't dream of cooking a porterhouse steak indirect at 375.:wink:

I never said it's they only way to grill everything, it's one of many ways to grill indirectly and it's my personal favorite way of indirect grilling. Steaks are cooked directly over the heat, which is not the purpose of this tutorial.

As I mentioned before...enthusiasts such as ourselves don't need this setup. Try explaining the minion method, direct high, direct medium or only do this for direct and only that for indirect to a newbie. That is a lot of info to take in.

I think every newbie would benefit from knowing both direct and indirect grilling, but a few may not know about the indirect method. I understand that every method or technique is debatable, but we all got started doing one of them. I figure, if a newbie has some success doing this, then they would learn the many other ways (maybe even the correct way...:becky:) of grilling and give confidence to try smoking.

I like to use 2 firebicks to seperate the 2 zones.

IMG_3376.jpg

I like to see various 2-zone setups like this, especially in different types of grills. I think it may helpful when a newbie sees how they can set it up in their own grill.

I do vary from King's method in one way... I don't put in any unlit charcoal. I dump in a full chimney that is fully lit. I do this because if I am using the kettle I am grilling and want the hottest direct area I can get for searing.

I like the reverse sear, I'm not going for grill marks...just that flavor crust. By the time the chicken, bacon weave meatloaf or pork tenderloin is ready to come off, the coals are all lit. Removing the lid for a minute really gets the coals glowing and I use that for my direct grilling.

Here's another way I set it up. I make a central hot zone using my charcoal baskets to corral the briquettes leaving two cooler zones on either side. I do have to admit though, mostly I use a big foil pan as in your original post to section off 1/3 for the hot zone. This pic is fully lit but I also do this with lit over unlit.

lamb5.jpg

I love that you are using the two char-baskets on the same side. It seems this would give you more cooking space for larger cuts. My question is, where does one procure said firebricks? I assume that are not just clay masonry bricks. Thanks.

I got the fire bricks a landscape supply yard. $1.50 each. The fat drips on the hot brick and the steam adds flavor to the smoke. :thumb:

Spinning the grate I remember the first time I saw someone do that I thought he was a Genius. Wondering why I didn't think of that.

I bought a new weber grate that has the hinged sides so you can add more charcoal or wood chunks. The handles are welded to the grate too low. 1/4" too low. It would hang up when I would try to spin it. :mad:
I got the grinder out and removed the nubs and it is spinning with no hang ups. Life is good again. :becky:

Back