THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow Smoke

Found some matches.
I am going to smoke a turkey today for the first time. I am cooking for a group of friends and want it to come out good. I have had it in a brine overnight. I am going to use applewood. What temp should I smoke it at? and about how long will it take for a 14 lb bird?

Thanks

350 is good. I would go with at least 325 to render the fat out of the skin. 4 hours for a 14 lb bird sounds about right at these temps. If it is stuffed than maybe longer.

I did a 14 pounder a couple of weeks ago and cooked it a little lower for about 7 hours. Came out great with great flavor. I also brined it first (1 gallon of water; 1 cup of salt, one cup of brown sugar and some crushed garlic) and also fired with apple wood. Always the thing is - no matter what temp, don't put it on the smoker and leave for the weekend, you got to pay a little attention to it. Pull it when it hits 170 or so, wrap it with foil and let'er sit for at least a 1/2 hour, even more if you like.
Good luck!

Back