THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TwoWheeler

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
David
I get a half cow every year and thus have a freezer full of rather lean, grass-fed beef. I have mixed results, sometimes roasts turn out as dry as dust. I tried injecting a beef broth/soy sauce mixture but ended up with brown, quarter sized pockets of the injected stuff, or it just squirted back out the hole it went in. (Good thing I wasn’t one of the ones doing Covid shots!😬)

I just got involved with Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) and I bought a CSA share from a local producer who provides grass fed/finished beef. My first atempts at cooking some turned out very dry. After a bit of research I now know that this type of beef has to be cooked differently.

Here are a few good tips.

The biggest mistake people make when cooking grass-fed beef is over-cooking it. These five tips will help ensure a perfectly cooked steak every time.

1. Lower the cooking temperature. Because grass-fed beef is leaner than its grain-fed counterpart, you need to cook it at a slightly lower temperature (at least 50 F) for 30-50% less time. Otherwise, you cook off the fat and are left with a dry, tough, unappealing mass of meat that’s lost many of its nutrients. (The more cooked your grass-fed beef, the more Omega 3s you lose.)

2. Invest in a meat thermomenter. You may know how to eyeball when conventional meat is done, but because grass-fed beef is leaner, you don’t have the same kind of wiggle room for mistakes. A meat thermometer will ensure you cook your meat just the way you like it — every time. The desired internal temperatures for grass-fed beef are:
Rare — 120F
Medium Rare — 125F
Medium — 130F
Medium Well — 135F
Well — 140F
IMPORTANT NOTE! To achieve the desired temperature, remove the meat from heat when it’s about 10 degrees lower than your goal temperature. The residual heat will finish cooking the meat over the next ten minutes as you let it rest.

3. Start steaks at room temperature. This is a good rule for all meats, but especially for grass-fed-beef. By starting your meat at room temperature, it will take less time to reach the ideal internal temperature while cooking. This gentler cooking method will help your meat stay juicy and delicious.

4. Don’t play with your meat. Avoid the temptation to poke steaks or roasts with forks or pat burgers down with spatulas. This lets all that delicious fat escape, giving you a less juicy end result.

5. Give your meat a rest. When you’re done cooking your meat, let it rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing into it. This allows time for the escaped juices to reincorporate back into the meat.

Roasts like bottom round, beef tenderloin, and eye round are best cooked low and slow in the oven. This ensures they turn out fork-tender and flavor-packed every time.
A Dutch oven is an ideal tool for this method. To get started, sear your roast on the stovetop. Be quick, searing for only two or three minutes each side.
Add to your Dutch oven your preferred cooking liquids and aromatics—check out our recipes below for inspiration! Bake in a 300°F oven for four to five hours. You’ll have a fork-tender meal with just a bit of effort.

Want to cook the same cuts in the slow cooker? The method is pretty similar to slow-roasting in the oven. Just sear your roast—again, two to three minutes a side—then move it to the slow cooker. Cover it with your cooking liquid and aromatics, and set the slow cooker to low for six to eight hours.

I just did a sirloin tip roast in the Instant Pot and it turned out great. Moist and able to shred with a fork.

Here are a couple of links you might want to check out.

https://blog.whiteoakpastures.com/blog/how-to-guide-to-cooking-grassfed-beef

https://fatburningman.com/12-tips-for-cooking-grass-fed-beef/

I just got an eye round roast I will simply be injecting with Tony's Creole Butter for a few extra minutes on smoke. Inject slow! I have had better luck with the "free" tony's ones than more expensive i've bought, FWIW.

Putting the meat on before you are up to temp can buy you even more time. Consider cutting off the intake completely if you have the ability to monitor and cook at around 140*F. Resting wrapped with butter (regular or compound) will help a tiny bit.

And Burgers, of course. If you want to be safe about it, sear large roasts before grinding and enjoy the glory that is a rare burger. Soaking in vinegar/liquor is an ancient Chinese trick there, too.

Back