The Official Worksharp Ken Onion Appreciation Thread

... then HAND wash the knifes one at a time, dry and put in the knife block. Your knifes will stay sharp longer if you take care of them.

^^^This! No dishwasher!, Use the knife, clean and wipe it, back in the block, good to go.
Everytime you sharpen (steeling is straightening the edge, not sharpening) you are grinding away your blade. If you keep your knives in a drawer, get used to dull. If you put them in the dishwasher, forget about the handles.

There is no specific angle that you have to use. I would say the 25 degrees is a standard angle for pocket knives, since it is a good balance between sharp and durable. IMO, what angle is best, depends on the knife, and what it is being used for. That's why I like stockman style pocket knives. You can keep one blade extremely sharp, and have the other two for utility uses.

Buck recommends for the venerable 110 an angle between 13-16 degrees. I set my KO with the blade grinding attachment to 15 deg and got a perfect almost factory edge that shaves like nobody's business

I just took one of my cheap dime store knives to the KO, set it to 25 degrees and took it all the way through the extra fine (6000 grit) band. Wow. That knife has NEVER been that sharp and the 25 degree angle is not slowing it down one bit. Really impressed.

I chuckle at all the rave reviews for this thing. I own the original and have always thought it was a primo knife sharpening system. What I do like about this thread are the video links for the K/O version. They've really upped my sharpening skill set. :thumb: The RTFM comment was priceless and acknowledgement of the poorly worded manual for the original was spot-on.

The only real issue.... I now want the K/O version - just because. :frusty:

I went to Goodwill, two pawn shops and three 2nd hand Thrift stores. Couldn’t find a decent POS knife I’d want —even if sharp. Found a box of knives 0.87@. There was a full tang wood stamped Japan I nearly bought. Nearly. Tip was pry bent. My KO is wrapped under the tree anyway.

I trimmed up a brisket last night with my go-to chef's knife. It's nothing exotic, just a 30 year old Chicago Cutlery.
First time since sharpening it with the WSKO.
What a difference! Went through it like butter!

Anyone with a casual interest in the making of a quality blade may want to check out Walter Sorrell on youtube.

I chuckle at all the rave reviews for this thing. I own the original and have always thought it was a primo knife sharpening system. What I do like about this thread are the video links for the K/O version. They've really upped my sharpening skill set. :thumb: The RTFM comment was priceless and acknowledgement of the poorly worded manual for the original was spot-on.

The only real issue.... I now want the K/O version - just because. :frusty:

When my new K/O with the grinding attachment appeared in the living room, as soon as I opened it I thanked my wife for getting me an early Christmas present. (she didn't know she ordered it).

Get the Ken Onion. I relegated my old W/S on the shelf to be used only for sharpening scissors. And the blade grinding attachment is a definite upgrade for knives with large bolsters

Finally opened mine. Tore up an old pocket knife but got better on an old kitchen knife. Pretty sharp. I'm liking it so far. It's true about the burr.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone's comments, got one on sale. It does the best job, by far, of any sharpener I've tried. Immediately got rid of my Master Chef with guide and diamond wheels, no comparison, IMO.

I told my old lady 105 times. "Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition, it HAS to be the Ken Onion Edition. Don't get the regular version, Ken Onion Edition ONLY, if it does not say Ken Onion. on the box, dont buy it". I sent her pictures, Amazon links, everything to avoid ending up with the original.

What she do? Gets me the original.

What to do? Tell her take it back or keep it?

I told my old lady 105 times. "Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition, it HAS to be the Ken Onion Edition. Don't get the regular version, Ken Onion Edition ONLY, if it does not say Ken Onion. on the box, dont buy it". I sent her pictures, Amazon links, everything to avoid ending up with the original.

What she do? Gets me the original.

1 disagreement now or several for the foreseeable future...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Speaking of wives and the KO... We had a whole turkey breast for lunch/dinner today, and she asked what knife she should use to carve it. I told her to give the one I practiced with on the KO a try. It is a 6" utility knife that lives in the block and was just long enough to learn on and cheap enough that if it got scraped up or the tip ground down, I would get over it. It also happened to be the perfect length for carving a bone in breast. She just looked at me and said, "wow" this is cutting through like butter now. I told her I could have done better but was still getting the muscle memory of the sharpening angle and pressure along with turning off the motor and pulling the tip away. She just said that she couldn't imagine that knife getting any sharper.

Take it back. There's been a few folks here who have the original and now have the KO and their original is now sitting on the shelf. The KO is worth it over the original. Two big features: variable speed (so you don't kill smaller knives) and adjustable blade angle (which is nice for pocket knives vs kitchen knives vs slicing knives).

Good luck and make sure you have enough blankets for the couch. :becky:

In my estimation, the blade grinding attachment is a required piece as well. Wider sanding belt, more control over the angle adjustment and less chance of rounding the knife tip. I'm using my original W/S strictly for scissors

Through the years my wife has returned/exchanged gifts many times. From jewelry to a mink vest (10 years later she speaks of wanting a mink vest). Not once have I given it a second thought. I want Her to be happy-not me. Many times through the years I have returned/exchanged things. Only one item has she mentioned -An Eddie Bauer extreme weather Jacket. I returned it, it went on sale half price and then I bought it again.

ATTST- is she a returner? If so she’ll understand.
If not, good luck

This router speed control from Harbor Freight works pretty good with the original Work Shop. I set it up with a leather strop and use after sharping with the KO.

Attachments

• router control Medium Web view.jpg
    router control Medium Web view.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 63
Back