The Official Worksharp Ken Onion Appreciation Thread

I sharpened the below cheap chef's knife over a year ago and it's still going strong.

Oh and if you didn't jump on the $86 deal from Amazon you farked up. Just sayin'!

r9rVZCmh.jpg

(KO run last year)

3BOVotrh.jpg

6ePllsDh.jpg

I've been a manual sharpener guy for years and have an Edge Pro commercial kit, which can put a scary sharp edge from 6° to 35° and polish it down with a 3,000 grit. The upside to this system is accurate angles, the downside to this system is set-up and time so I use it on special knives or leave it out a few days to sharpen a lot of knives. If you do not abuse knives a manual system is easy to maintain a perfect edge, but manual is not for everyone.

On the other end of the spectrum I'm testing a Havalon Baracuta which has replaceable surgical style blades and I have both hunter and fillet style blades. This is a great field knife and good for close up prep work in the kitchen.

I've test driven the original Work Sharp which is a nice system but the Ken Onion version has a variable speed heavy duty motor and a slightly different guide system.... plus it can sharpen tools. The downside is that it's electric and has a slight learning curve if you are used to a manual sharpener. The current Amazon deal is too good to pass up and it will allow me to sharpen my kitchen work knives and knives for friends (which are always abused) much faster and to an above average edge. I'll be sure and post a review in a month or so.

I already got my notification that it has shipped from Amazon. Due Tuesday, but they always say that and then I end up getting it the next day almost every time as long as it wasn't shipping from a 3rd party. Tuesday probably works better anyways since I have stuff to do Monday and I will need to play if it shows up. Now to avoid any finger injuries.

I bought the original Work Sharp, then went to look something up and saw the KO edition was coming out a month later. Sharpened all my knives with that one, and took it back to Bass Pro. One month later when they had the KO in stock, I went back and bought it from them. Eased the pain of being "that guy" to buy something, use it, and return it.

I love my WS. I can sharpen all of our kitchen and my couple of utility knives, fifteen at last count, in about 30 minutes.

Disclaimer: I would not use it on a fancy, decorative, or expensive knife. Maybe I don't pull back right, but I have rub marks on the upper part of the blades where they rub against the guide as I draw them through. I've talked to WS about it. Thought they should cover the guides with some felt, but they said this would change the blade angle. They suggested putting painters tape on the blade. I asked, wouldn't that change the angle of the blade too? She laughed and said umm, yes. I let it go. I don't have any fancy knives, so I'm not really worried about it.

I delayed the shipping until the 11th. Trying to talk the wife into a no itenarary no reservations road trip. Can’t believe she’s balking at a personal 70’s themed concert featuring me, stopping at every historical marker and maybe eating some roadside bbq.

Cheap motels illuminated by neon lights are calling

I hope it's the cats ass. Cuz I ordered one yesterday thanks to you guys.

I got Havalon's stashed all over the house. They are awesome in the kitchen... Not too mention I broke down 1 elk and 3 deer so far this year with one.

I've used a Havalon in the field for years - but never even considered one for in the kitchen. Thanks to 16Adams & Whisky for the suggestion!

Hope it goes on sale again before xmas … what a deal. I have the original and would love to have the KO edition.

Just checked my order, Order received, but not yet shipped, arriving Thursday. So much for free 2 day shipping. The last thing I ordered from Amazon was ordered on a Sunday and I got it on Monday. Just some bar towels that I still haven't used. Guess I'm paying for that great delivery service now.
Hope they didn't sell out of these.

Is this different than the one that was on sale at Amazon?

Never mind! User error.

From what I've been able to tell, the "regular" one has 2(?) preset angle guides, comes with 3 grit belts and has a fixed speed motor.

The Ken Onion has fully adjustable guides down to 1degree increments, comes with 5 grit belts (4 of which are wider) and has a variable speed motor.

Here's a decent comparison vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujazEqtXgbQ&t=599s

About the 6 minute mark or so.

Back