THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yesterday was -5 and today is 2 degrees. Discovered Saturday/Sunday will be near or above 60 so had to get things for the 640. Picked up a turkey. Never smoked one in the 640 but i feel this weekend will be a good one.
Will be throwing some chicken and things on as well as having the weber going for snacking during the long cook.
Any thoughts on the turkey? It is frozen now but going to thaw in my brine bucket in water over night. Then thinking about making a brine and keeping in there friday into Saturday morning.

Google atbbq smoke roasted turkey with sausage stuffing..I have done mine the last couple of years like that (minus the sausage stuffing)...best turkeys I have ever made/eaten

My preference on whole birds on the 640 is spatchcocked, and cooked at 350. Should take around 1.5 to two hours for a 15 lb bird. The higher temp makes for a really good skin.

Thanks gtsum and Joshw. Ill take a look at the video. Wont be back as ive like most all things from ATBBQ. Spatchcock was a thought and I may still do that.
I look at it like this. There are worse decisions to have to make than this one so im lucky there.

I am not even all the way through the video and Yes, this is what I am doing Saturday with the turkey. Spatchcocked, prepped just like this, brined like this and we will go from there.

Thanks for the solid input. Always appreciated....now back to the show

I am not even all the way through the video and Yes, this is what I am doing Saturday with the turkey. Spatchcocked, prepped just like this, brined like this and we will go from there.

Thanks for the solid input. Always appreciated....now back to the show

Let us know how you like it. In 2017 I made this on my yoder (didn’t use smoke tube) and in 18 I did it on my Memphis. Both turned out fantastic. Chef Tom is the Man!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well I'm finally an owner of a Mak 2 Star and this is my first pellet grill. The delivery showed up today and the Fedex lift gate driver was more than helpful and accommodating. He even stuck around to get a good look at the grill as I was tearing down the box.

I did the entire assembly myself and used some leverage to roll the grill up with the top on the base. It really wasn't too much trouble. I did take my sweet time with the assembly, and all of the holes lined up great. The screw tolerances were extremely tight so getting the top and bottom absolutely perfect was a necessity. Anyway, its actually raining here in Socal, and I ended up just pushing her outside to start the first seasoning session because well I just couldn't wait, and I want to use all the pork roll I just bought dang it!

Thanks for all the info from this thread.

Here's some quick pics!

lm8ukbW.jpg

rCeU7YJ.jpg

Vkwnn1y.jpg

Won't stay be this clean ever again!

Well I'm finally an owner of a Mak 2 Star and this is my first pellet grill. The delivery showed up today and the Fedex lift gate driver was more than helpful and accommodating. He even stuck around to get a good look at the grill as I was tearing down the box.

I did the entire assembly myself and used some leverage to roll the grill up with the top on the base. It really wasn't too much trouble. I did take my sweet time with the assembly, and all of the holes lined up great. The screw tolerances were extremely tight so getting the top and bottom absolutely perfect was a necessity. Anyway, its actually raining here in Socal, and I ended up just pushing her outside to start the first seasoning session because well I just couldn't wait, and I want to use all the pork roll I just bought dang it!

Here's some quick pics!

lm8ukbW.jpg

rCeU7YJ.jpg

Vkwnn1y.jpg

Looks sharp! You will love your Mak. It in my opinion puts out as good of food as my old stickburner I used to own and my current Weber kettle (I was unhappy with kettle smoke at first but got it figured out) This thing just runs itself worry free and it feels like cheating lol.

Here's some quick pics!

lm8ukbW.jpg

rCeU7YJ.jpg

Vkwnn1y.jpg

From one 2* owner to another... Congrats!!! Here’s to many many years of good eatin’!! :)

Looks sharp! You will love your Mak. It in my opinion puts out as good of food as my old stickburner I used to own and my current Weber kettle (I was unhappy with kettle smoke at first but got it figured out) This thing just runs itself worry free and it feels like cheating lol.

Unfortunately, I didn’t setup the MAK Mobile before the rain and will wait a bit before opening it up to do so. I attempted to start a quick user program for a fatty...hope I programmed it right.

Man that smoke smells great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! Got a fatty on there right now while its pouring rain. I didn't get a chance to setup the MAK Mobile before the rain hit, and I want to wait for it to stop before opening the circuit board up.

The smoke that it's putting out smells great!

Last edited:

Here's some quick pics!

lm8ukbW.jpg

rCeU7YJ.jpg

Vkwnn1y.jpg

Great looking pooper!

..... I have a weber genesis that I have not used in two years, I am thinking of tossing it. The side kick would be perfect and replace the weber with less space. If I go this route and you are interested in my sear box, LMK. As I said it is brand new, I think I lit it once to see if it worked....
I'm getting more serious about this mod - seems like it would work really well for my purposes. I'm having a hard time getting enough details on the sear box to be sure it will work. I finally got a dimensioned drawing of the mounting holes on the grill from Camp Chef, and I scaled a picture I found of the right side of the sear box. Based on that, it looks pretty good. I discovered that my Google photo links weren't working for other folks, so I'm uploading a picture of the sear box template in position on the side of my Rec Tec. looks like the Rec Tec grease should drain into the CC grease tray - perfect! Just need some confidence that the RecTec grease spout isn't going to interfere with some vital internal structure.

Attachments

I'm getting more serious about this mod - seems like it would work really well for my purposes. I'm having a hard time getting enough details on the sear box to be sure it will work. I finally got a dimensioned drawing of the mounting holes on the grill from Camp Chef, and I scaled a picture I found of the right side of the sear box. Based on that, it looks pretty good. I discovered that my Google photo links weren't working for other folks, so I'm uploading a picture of the sear box template in position on the side of my Rec Tec. looks like the Rec Tec grease should drain into the CC grease tray - perfect! Just need some confidence that the RecTec grease spout isn't going to interfere with some vital internal structure.

This will be a really cool mod

Quick question, i believe you can fit two full size pans in the unit, one per shelf, how is the clearance on the second shelf in relationship to the lid? Do you think airflow would be a problem cooking in pans?

Haven’t posted on here in a while. I’m about 90 days from returning home from deployment and will be picking up my 640 comp cart as soon as I get back.

This thread is helping to pass the time until I get home

Youll love it when you get it. Stay safe and hurry back.

Semper Fi!
Sean

Back