THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cook going on now. Ys640. Warmed up at 350 for 40 minutes or so then down to 225. Put meat on. Using fireboard and have two pit temp probes in. Both top rack. One on hopper side and the other on the stack side. Stack is straight up and damper is 4 inches pushed in. I'm seeing 50 degree temp difference left to right. Even if I pull damper all the way out, give it 2 hours or so and check again, temp difference is the same but the median shifts. Fans are blowing just fine. Any thoughts?

Now I can work with this and isnt an issue at all. This is my second cook on it and just getting a feel for hot spots and placements so all good. But if I could even this out a bit more why not go for it.

Thanks all for the input.

Didn't I tell you NOT to use the fireboard to verify the grate temps in the YS640?? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I did it during my first cooks last weekend and was starting to doubt my buying decision. Then I read the different posts on the Yoder forum about how this things works and how the temp can change by putting meat in there or a pan or a pan with water etc. The temp on the display is what you have in the middle of the lower grate.

Suggested reading:

http://community.yodersmokers.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1368

http://community.yodersmokers.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1921

http://community.yodersmokers.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1924

http://community.yodersmokers.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1927

I clean my pg with a shop vac. Can't do that with my stick burner though as the ash is too fine and just blows out thru the filter. Anybody else notice this?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You can get HEPA filters, which should catch everything, they are expensive though. How about taking the filter out altogether and just call it an ash distribution system? If you want to separate ash from lumpy stuff, you can try one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Oneida-Air-S...83674&sr=8-3&keywords=dust+deputy+cyclone+kit

You can buy just the cyclone and supply your own can also.

Didn't I tell you NOT to use the fireboard to verify the grate temps in the YS640?? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I did it during my first cooks last weekend and was starting to doubt my buying decision. Then I read the different posts on the Yoder forum about how this things works and how the temp can change by putting meat in there or a pan or a pan with water etc. The temp on the display is what you have in the middle of the lower grate.

Suggested reading:

http://community.yodersmokers.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1368

http://community.yodersmokers.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1921

http://community.yodersmokers.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1924

http://community.yodersmokers.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1927

Ha that you did. However, i was not doing it and sweating thinking of a bad decision, it was more so I just know the pit a little better. I set that 640 to 225 and just let it go, probe the meat and call it a day. All this did was verify it is a bit warmer on the right. :)

New to the forum and new to pellet smokers. Just finished working my way through all 123 pages of this thread, and I'd like to join the discussion. Couple of quick points:
  1. I don't have a MAK. Too many other hobbies. Just the way it is. Maybe in another life...
  2. I usually cook for just the two of us, and almost never for more than six.
  3. There are other things I cook besides Q. Shameful to admit, but I have to put it out there.
  4. No food pictures yet. Only cooked one meal on my new Rec Tec, and it looked and smelled so good that any thought of anything but eating went right out the window. Will try to do better in the future.
I started smoking years ago with a stainless Masterbuilt bullet, and then added an Amaze-N tube to my ancient Genesis. The Masterbuilt is done, and the Genesis is getting old. I'm working on replacing both of them with a Rec Tec Trailblazer, and most of my questions on this thread will be about helpful mods - I'm all about the mods. Here are a few that I'm either doing or planning - comments and suggestions are more than welcome, it's why I'm here.
  • Better wheels
  • Interior second upper rack / shelf
  • Front exterior shelf
  • Gasket along top edge of door
  • Thermal cover made from carbon welding blanket
  • Camp Chef sear box on right side (I have another thread asking for information from any CC sear box owners)
  • Tool hanger hooks

Welcome pdft and great way to join the thread. I am sure there are enthusiasts on here who will chime in on the Rec Tec mods. I dont have one and havent seen one in the wild so cant comment. Just wanted to welcome you.

New to the forum and new to pellet smokers. Just finished working my way through all 123 pages of this thread, and I'd like to join the discussion. Couple of quick points:

1. I don't have a MAK. Too many other hobbies. Just the way it is. Maybe in another life...
  3. There are other things I cook besides Q. Shameful to admit, but I have to put it out there.
  4. No food pictures yet. Only cooked one meal on my new Rec Tec, and it looked and smelled so good that any thought of anything but eating went right out the window. Will try to do better in the future.

I started smoking years ago with a stainless Masterbuilt bullet, and then added an Amaze-N tube to my ancient Genesis. The Masterbuilt is done, and the Genesis is getting old. I'm working on replacing both of them with a Rec Tec Trailblazer, and most of my questions on this thread will be about helpful mods - I'm all about the mods. Here are a few that I'm either doing or planning - comments and suggestions are more than welcome, it's why I'm here.

• Better wheels
  • Front exterior shelf
  • Camp Chef sear box on right side (I have another thread asking for information from any CC sear box owners)
  • Tool hanger hooks

Yes, nice to have you join in. Unfortunately I won’t be of much help, but I can’t imagine other won’t be able to chime in with helpful info. Also, have you checked out the RecTec FB fans page? Thousands of RT owners over there. That could be another valuable resource for you :)

Yes, nice to have you join in. Unfortunately I won’t be of much help, but I can’t imagine other won’t be able to chime in with helpful info. Also, have you checked out the RecTec FB fans page? Thousands of RT owners over there. That could be another valuable resource for you :)
Thanks. RecTec's own forum is pretty quiet, and I didn't think of FaceBook. I usually avoid FB like the plague, but I'll take a look.

Thanks. RecTec's own forum is pretty quiet, and I didn't think of FaceBook. I usually avoid FB like the plague, but I'll take a look.
You definitely are one of us!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was curious what you guys think. I am doing a butt right now and I was going to wrap, but I was thinking maybe not. Anybody on here not wrap their butts at 160? I was thinking not enough moisture in there to go the whole way. It is at 163 right now and barking up nicely.

There are only three reasons to wrap a butt. It is getting too dark, you want the juice, or you want to speed things up. I rarely wrap anything.

I was curious what you guys think. I am doing a butt right now and I was going to wrap, but I was thinking maybe not. Anybody on here not wrap their butts at 160? I was thinking not enough moisture in there to go the whole way. It is at 163 right now and barking up nicely.

First one I did I left unwrapped came out excellent.

Think I will just let it go. IMO I think the foil ruins the bark on a butt, actually I think it ruins ribs also, but that is me. I wrapped ribs for the first time last week and nobody liked them, including myself. Thanks for the replies.

• Better wheels
  • Front exterior shelf
  • Tool hanger hooks
Welcome aboard!! Great little thread this turned out to be. I have a camp chef sear box on my woodwind, but I have never used it. However I will say that Camp Chef now offers an accessory called the side kick. Personally I thought about getting one for mine for the griddle and also for the grill for cooking in a pinch. I don’t use my camp chef woodwind anymore because of the temp swings. The computer is horrible! I get 50-60 swings and it never cooks properly. I have over cooked allot of ribs because of those swings, but that was before I knew it was doing it. I kinda learned to cook with it, after I got my MAK 2 Star, I really have not have a need for it anymore. I am planning on putting a new computer on it at some point and using it from time to time. The side kick attachment actually looks pretty cool and might give me some use for the woodwind again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkvh76rEDII

I have a weber genesis that I have not used in two years, I am thinking of tossing it. The side kick would be perfect and replace the weber with less space. If I go this route and you are interested in my sear box, LMK. As I said it is brand new, I think I lit it once to see if it worked.

Thanks - sent a PM. I think the sear box would be awesome if it fits. I really like the idea of having the option to get a quick hot sear or just do a 10 minute grill when I don't need to fire up the pellet smoker.

I looked at the woodwind pretty hard but got the Rec Tec instead. I'm a controls guy and I liked the idea of PID control, and I thought that the construction of the Rec Tec looked more substantial. Sounds like the right call.

Here's a picture of the right end of the Rec Tec where the sear box would mount. It would be awesome if I could get the Rec Tec grease to drain into the sear box grease tray....
9_fnTPJSeHzKu1vEW3uLlRrcK7tR658bhFGc8Vk6XR-PqHFTBGuT8ez6s9kGoak3URTAjglygwc9YvmxfqMa0PTlhKsfhOXJvwD2okalStYzK5mra-f9NQuLrXsnsmNIRW2Nw1ZhKK2rmXM8NF6zoQhBiKstTcRHvBV6PtkCohuuHM3IzKmG1VcTu1uLJhxYiWsvodue6lpUqg4vnGuwGDw6CixrNLvONS2--S6tzGqqEjzd6x8ePPqrxux6wCXvvefkxQ07gyj5Dz42SoTmjqbTPziqX3IVe_cSYUKqDpfE_2efPHpmd-teaauMMSA1SU-ymERMfYzrXxvWp6DiGyV9QtqxB4b-dzfmbgJLN5ViEIkzK5mL4zxvzS6w101C4fBDedjfzkozNdaYdWXIUdVaT8nWeeDrUiSdliHr_0Os0Zi-pOaZbhYAiqw5SKRVb22AmAB-LR5bCaBkc8v_fYlHBuleSjCfb6qDHM6Gx_f241ahKaDKNC2N1MNcoHHJuJ0cMuHQrBpMHBqXxHoPDysjsVmPSX4gJ6u9XqZgDPOv3ZBSrlbDh_Z2ojqjaHN4zNdII6fRLyoDVPWIiwiEV4-NtUi93lQB-jvoIbEGqnT52djdui_iSfVWBhEQv1T3urypR_LBe1nJA-HyhhN4tulRupIZ6pO3HeD-C_wnKCS9MrQkjgsHfTVKev4fkUP84SrzqM5lIpTe6tcO8Vg=w1251-h938-no

Last edited:

I never wrap butts and I've never had one dry out. I think the key to keeping it juicy is to not let it run to long when it gets over 200 degrees. I pull mine at 205.

Pooping on a cold, dark, windy night.

It was a nasty day last week when, out of the blue, my wife says, "I want a ribeye!" It was after 5:00PM but I said, "yes, dear" like I always do.

Went to Publix and, while they had great strips, they only had scrawny ribeyes. She wanted ribeyes, so I got a couple. It was dark, 33 degrees, and 16 mph winds. No problem, I put my welding blanket on the GMG Daniel Boone.

46024595445_7aff9ca186_z_d.jpg

Photo a little close to show the fit, but the Harbor Freight magnets allow me to lift and close the lid without the blanket sliding off.

Puny ribeyes with SPOG on the DB.

33063005228_7fc12dc674_z_d.jpg

Cooked them at 225 until they were 115 degrees, then headed for my Genesis for a good sear.

39974113533_81a6877fda_z_d.jpg

Went to fire it up and - OUT OF GAS! Damn, I never use the thing and forgot the tank was empty! Had to pan sear them in the kitchen.

46024600485_5f0fb417bb_z_d.jpg

The final product.

46024597145_83b2226b2c_z_d.jpg

Ribeyes, mushrooms/onions, salad. Great last minute pooper dinner. It's the second time I cooked steaks this way on the DB and both times they came out great - very tender and juicy. Love the DB, but for steaks, I'm still not a convert; if you give me a couple of prime 2" porterhouse steaks, I'm cooking them on the Performer (or PK if I'm at the lake).

I don’t use my camp chef woodwind anymore because of the temp swings. The computer is horrible! I get 50-60 swings and it never cooks properly. I have over cooked allot of ribs because of those swings, but that was before I knew it was doing it.

I found that the Camp Chef I had was very sensitive to the pellets I used. I had wide swings and lower smoke performance with the Pit Boss competition blend. It performed MUCH better with B&B pellets.

Yesterday was -5 and today is 2 degrees. Discovered Saturday/Sunday will be near or above 60 so had to get things for the 640. Picked up a turkey. Never smoked one in the 640 but i feel this weekend will be a good one.
Will be throwing some chicken and things on as well as having the weber going for snacking during the long cook.
Any thoughts on the turkey? It is frozen now but going to thaw in my brine bucket in water over night. Then thinking about making a brine and keeping in there friday into Saturday morning.

Back