THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am convinced that pellet poopers make the best ribs! Easy to do and always turn out moist. I think it is a great way to break it in.

100% agree. I have cooked ribs on many smokers. Pellet smokers hands down (IMO) produce the best ribs.

I just ate 1/2 rack of the ribs in the pic above for lunch.

Hands down best ribs I’ve done to date and we’ve cooked a bunch of ribs.

I just ate 1/2 rack of the ribs in the pic above for lunch.

Hands down best ribs I’ve done to date and we’ve cooked a bunch of ribs.

It’s almost to easy to be true, eh? Not sure what it is, but it’s as if the convective airflow of pellet cookers turns them into “stationary rotisserie’s” creating a hard to beat end product.

It is almost too good to be true!

I keep catching myself checking the grill temp as if I need to adjust a damper or something though!

Nope, it’s just sitting there puffing along :laugh:

Just returned from Sam’s Club. Their pellet cooker is now 269 and their pellets were 40# for I think 16$. A blend of hickory oak maple cherry. I lifted the lid on the cooker, heavy duty best I could tell. I know nothing of the pellets nor cooker as I’m kind of new at pellets.
Just an FYI

Just returned from Sam’s Club. Their pellet cooker is now 269 and their pellets were 40# for I think 16$. A blend of hickory oak maple cherry. I lifted the lid on the cooker, heavy duty best I could tell. I know nothing of the pellets nor cooker as I’m kind of new at pellets.
Just an FYI

Perhaps I should know this, but what brand of pellet cooker do they have for $269.

Perhaps I should know this, but what brand of pellet cooker do they have for $269.

It’s branded With Sam’s Brand. One of the brethren here has one and ID’ the manufacturer. Cannot remember. I think they mentioned modifying the hopper to hold more pellets.

Last edited:
First cook in my Timberline 1300! I got my grill seasoned today and did a couple baby back rib racks for dinner. I am really impressed with this grill. It was 36° outside this morning when I fired up the grill, for the burn in. The grill went from dead cold to 500° in 35 minutes. I think that is outstanding. I did my ribs at 225° on SS for 3 hours and then turned it up to 250° and finished them off. They came out great, these are no wrap, no sauce ribs and they came out very moist and tender. I used Oakridge BBQ Competition rub for the first time and it is a great rub, good flavor with a little kick too it. These are some of the best ribs I have made, I am really loving this grill. Here are some pics.

On the grill just before I turned them up to 250°

Done and inside the house.

First cut.

killer!!

It’s branded With Sam’s Brand. One of the brethren here has one and ID’ the manufacturer. Cannot remember. I think they mentioned modifying the hopper to hold more pellets.

Man, if Sams return policy is even half as good as Costco’s, you have nothing to lose. Crazy that they can they manufacture and sell that for $269!!! [emoji848]

Started my own pooper thread but I guess this belongs here. Put the new GMG Daniel Boone together but it presently resides on the porch since it's raining today and I won't have my cover until tomorrow. 100% chance of rain Saturday and Sunday so I doubt I'll be breaking it in this weekend.

Just had my first contact with customer service: when I opened the box, the lid was bent. No problem and no proof needed, they will send me a new lid. I can keep the old one as a spare. Impressive service so far. Anyway, here it is on the porch:

32349468858_f1d5466d97_z_d.jpg

I plan on keeping my other cookers covered whenever I use the DB and keep the DB covered when I use the other cookers. Betrayal is not a good thing.

So this is part 2 of my charcoal vs pellet comparison. Last time I did a grilling comparison which the Kamado Joe won. In all honesty it wasn’t fair since I don’t have a flame zone. So this time I did a low and slow comparison.

I for the life of me can’t tell a difference in anyway. For reference I cooked beef ribs on the Joe with B and B lump and 3 fist size chunks of hickory. For pellet I used hickory pellets and I am currently eating left over chuck roast from the pellet. Kamado ribs were cooked at 300 deg and braised at 400. Chuck roast was left on 225 deg and then braised.

I’m kinda disappointed honestly. I really wanted a clear answer about which is better at what. Both were equally Smokey, clean flavors, and bacon undertone from the hickory. Even the flavor characteristics were the same. I mean it makes sense as the fuel source is 100% wood for both.

I don’t know what to think....

Last edited:
I think I came to a conclusion. As long as you are getting both heat and smoke from wood.... you are getting the best flavor possible. After that it just comes down to preference and what mood you are in that determines what you cook on that day

So this is part 2 of my charcoal vs pellet comparison. Last time I did a grilling comparison which the Kamado Joe won. In all honesty it wasn’t fair since I don’t have a flame zone. So this time I did a low and slow comparison.

I for the life of me can’t tell a difference in anyway. For reference I cooked beef ribs on the Joe with B and B lump and 3 fist size chunks of hickory. For pellet I used hickory pellets and I am currently eating left over chuck roast from the pellet. Kamado ribs were cooked at 300 deg and braised at 400. Chuck roast was left on 225 deg and then braised.

I’m kinda disappointed honestly. I really wanted a clear answer about which is better at what. Both were equally Smokey, clean flavors, and bacon undertone from the hickory. Even the flavor characteristics were the same. I mean it makes sense as the fuel source is 100% wood for both.

I don’t know what to think....

Honestly, I am surprised by your findings. I cooked low n slow on KJ’s for years. Comparing what comes from my MAK vs my old Joe’s is quite a big difference. The kamado’s (IMO), because of their super low airflow, give a very stagnant/stale/dirty campfire flavor to smoked meats WHEN comparing the end product to a super clean burning fire like that of a pellet grill or stick burner. Just my opinion :)

Honestly, I am surprised by your findings. I cooked low n slow on KJ’s for years. Comparing what comes from my MAK vs my old Joe’s is quite a big difference. The kamado’s (IMO), because of their super low airflow, give a very stagnant/stale/dirty campfire flavor to smoked meats WHEN comparing the end product to a super clean burning fire like that of a pellet grill or stick burner. Just my opinion :)

I think what I’ll do is try them again in the morning. I may be desensitized.

Back