The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

I cannot believe I did it but I got busy and forgot about my Boston Butt on the MAK. The temp hit 208. I just put it in a towel and put it in the cooler. Somebody tell me it is not ruined?? Please! I cannot believe I over cooked it. I watched the temp all day like a hawk. I was out hanging Christmas lights so I was in the yard all day keeping an eye.

Well that’s the thing. The Mak isn’t lighter necessarily just better. I really believe for the smoke flavor to taste right you need two things
A. Have a small hot fire
B. Have plenty of airflow

Points A and B go hand in hand. Otherwise you are left with good and bad flavors rather than just the good ones when the volitiles are burned off by a standing flame.
I did some reading last night trying to make sense of this experiment lol

Also it alarming what smoke desensitization does if being by a smoker all day.
At first the ribs tasted fine. 4 hours later after a shower I began tasting off flavors. Tried them again this morning and threw them away.

It might be user error and that’s fine. I don’t expect myself to be a better pit master than a pid controller whose only purpose in life is to make fantastic bbq.

Were these cooked on your MAK?

Standing rib roast on my 1300. I got busy with some family and only got a pic after I started slicing pieces. I cooked this at 225° on SS until 125° internal. I then pulled it off and wrapped in foil, while the grill came up to 500°. It's 36° outside and it only took 15 minutes to get to temp. I then put it back on and seared it on all sides. The roast was fabulous, a real winner, very flavorful, juicy and tender. Have I mentioned that I absolutely love this grill. Here is the only pic I have of the roast.

Just returned from Sam’s Club. Their pellet cooker is now 269 and their pellets were 40# for I think 16$. A blend of hickory oak maple cherry. I lifted the lid on the cooker, heavy duty best I could tell. I know nothing of the pellets nor cooker as I’m kind of new at pellets.
Just an FYI

I saw this in person today. The cook chamber and legs are just the same as any Chinese made pellet grill. The lid was really heavy. Probably the heaviest I've seen in person. The drip pan and heat diverter are really thin. The drip pan seems like it might warp at high temps. The controller seems basic but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. The hopper is small with flat spots around the auger opening. That will cause tunneling unless you keep it filled or stir then every couple hours. I think it's a pretty good deal. If it doesn't work like you want for $180 you can upgrade the controller.

Standing rib roast on my 1300. I got busy with some family and only got a pic after I started slicing pieces. I cooked this at 225° on SS until 125° internal. I then pulled it off and wrapped in foil, while the grill came up to 500°. It's 36° outside and it only took 15 minutes to get to temp. I then put it back on and seared it on all sides. The roast was fabulous, a real winner, very flavorful, juicy and tender. Have I mentioned that I absolutely love this grill. Here is the only pic I have of the roast.

I will only do standing rib roasts on my pellet cookers now. They come out so perfect every time it's almost boring! (not really!) You nailed that cook!

glad you are enjoying your grill, it is impressive for it to go from 225-500 in 15 min. I haven't been able to do that. What pellets?

I cannot believe I did it but I got busy and forgot about my Boston Butt on the MAK. The temp hit 208. I just put it in a towel and put it in the cooler. Somebody tell me it is not ruined?? Please! I cannot believe I over cooked it. I watched the temp all day like a hawk. I was out hanging Christmas lights so I was in the yard all day keeping an eye.

You’ll be fine. Worst case scenario mix in bbq sauce if it’s dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you sear the roast just on the stock grates? Looks great!
Yes, I wanted to see how well they would work. I put the rack in it's lowest setting and I thought it did a credible job. It wasn't as good as a 600+ degree charcoal grill but it was more than acceptable.

glad you are enjoying your grill, it is impressive for it to go from 225-500 in 15 min. I haven't been able to do that. What pellets?
I am using Lumberjack Competition blend, as my other pellets that I ordered haven't arrived yet, but they are Lumberjack also. When I did my initial burn in it only took 35 minutes to go from dead cold to 500° and it was 36° outside. Love this grill.

Back