THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Been enjoying my Mak 2*, more than I expected actually. It filled a gap I had in the "easy" department, and sacrificed less than I expected in the "flavor" department. Had a corned brisket flat and point I picked up from the closeout bin, St Paddy's day leftovers I guess....they ended up desalinating in water for 3 or 4 days since we got a bunch of rain. Im going to try to get a pork butt on it this weekend and see how that works out.

Attachments

Been enjoying my Mak 2*, more than I expected actually. It filled a gap I had in the "easy" department, and sacrificed less than I expected in the "flavor" department. Had a corned brisket flat and point I picked up from the closeout bin, St Paddy's day leftovers I guess....they ended up desalinating in water for 3 or 4 days since we got a bunch of rain. Im going to try to get a pork butt on it this weekend and see how that works out.

They are indeed amazing cookers! Love how you worded that... “filled a gap I had in the “easy” department, and sacrificed less than I expected in the “flavor” department.” Quite the wordsmith, sir!

Personally, I’ve seen an increase in the “compliments” department from those I cook for... I honestly think that pellet cooked food appeals to, and is more widely enjoyed, because of how clean and pleasant the smoke profile is...

Sure, it’s not for everyone! But I do believe it’s for most :)

Had to throw some racks on the Mak today
1c129614211f54e5ca1001c518f143e6.jpg
2258a1bf25f871f90326891d803ad241.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I certainly hear you. The cheapest Mak out there, the 1 star general, I believe is $1800.00. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. My Rec Tec Stampede cost me $899.00.

If it takes less 5 minutes difference longer to reach 450*, then I'm good with that. I can spend the extra money on meat. I'm not saying that for those who own Maks that they aren't worth it, as I hear nothing but good things about them.

We all of course, spend our money as we like, case in point, I just bought this on Friday.

Now, I paid almost $100.00 for that one steak. Right at $90.00/lb. No way in hell it was going to see anything on God's green earth which burns pellets. I don't care what it is. Mak, Rec Tec, Yoder, what have you. I'm going to use the right tool for the job.

If I'm serious about searing a steak, especially one that I've paid good money for, searing it on a pellet grill would be a travesty.

I don't know how much difference there is between brands, but I can say this. I would not hesitate to throw that steak on my Yoder. Just Sayin.

Someone eatin’ gooood tonight!! I see you work at the LAX? Man, I’d imagine smokin’ is a much needed therapy after a long days work at that crazy airport?

They are indeed amazing cookers! Love how you worded that... “filled a gap I had in the “easy” department, and sacrificed less than I expected in the “flavor” department.” Quite the wordsmith, sir!

Personally, I’ve seen an increase in the “compliments” department from those I cook for... I honestly think that pellet cooked food appeals to, and is more widely enjoyed, because of how clean and pleasant the smoke profile is...

Sure, it’s not for everyone! But I do believe it’s for most :)

It lets me squeeze in a cook when I otherwise wouldnt be able to, which was my main goal. The Shirley is still my go to for making something special but life doesnt allow me to use it very often right now.

My Primo is pretty set it and forget it with the Flameboss but I think its about time to give it an overhaul and I havent been using it for "smoking" much lately.

I was prepared for yet another pellet grill disappointment but Im pretty happy with the Mak so far. I haven't really done much at "grilling temps" yet as the Primo still fits that bill pretty well. But I plan to soon. Not having the "Flame Zone" probably limits me a bit.

I don't know how much difference there is between brands, but I can say this. I would not hesitate to throw that steak on my Yoder. Just Sayin.

Each to his own. No rip, I really mean that. Your confidence in your Yoder is admirable, and I mean that too.

However I wouldn't do anything less than pan sear that steak in either a hot as hell cast iron skillet, or on a cast iron griddle over raging hot lump charcoal and reading at 800* plus at the dome, near 900* at the iron, a little less than 1 minute per side, which is what I did.

There's not much room for "guessing" it will be ok over grates, or aluminum searing racks, or "searing kits", hyped by the pellet grill companies. And I'm not talking about or ripping on Yoder here when I say that. When I've spent that kind of money for it, it has to be right. I have no desire to stick a match to $95.00 worth of 1lb steak and possibly end up feeding it to my dogs. When I go to sear a steak, any steak, not necessarily a $100.00 one, I intend to come correct.

With cast iron, and heated to the temperatures I'm talking about, I absolutely KNOW beyond any shadow of a doubt, that it will be OK. No questions asked.

Much props to your Yoder. Much respect for you and your opinion.

But I'm not messing around when it comes to a piece of meat that I just absolutely have to get right. Not to sound snobbish, as I love pellet grills, and own one. But searing on a pellet grill, just me, but I don't call that searing.

TZh7QdFl.jpg

I've hit 900* on it before in an endeavor to do a steak "Pittsburgh black". I've not seen anyone anywhere attempt to do a steak Pittsburgh black on any pellet grill, but perhaps someone else has.

I have this same dome thermometer in my WSM having replaced the stock one from Weber. In the configuration that I mentioned earlier, lump charcoal on the middle grate, hitting 700* at the dome is no trouble for it. Like the KJ, you of course don't want to raise the lid on it with your bare hands at those kinds of temps. You need leather gloves. Welder's gloves.

BTW, as a side note, the first steak I chose that day was $140.00 as it was sliced thicker. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on one steak and so I settled for this particular one.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of trusting that expensive of a steak to any pellet grill. Just saying.

Last edited:
Each to his own. No rip, I really mean that. Your confidence in your Yoder is admirable, and I mean that too.

However I wouldn't do anything less than pan sear that steak in either a hot as hell cast iron skillet, or on a cast iron griddle over raging hot lump charcoal and reading at 800* plus at the dome, near 900* at the iron, a little less than 1 minute per side, which is what I did.

There's not much room for "guessing" it will be ok over grates, or aluminum searing racks, hyped by the pellet grill companies, and I'm not talking about or ripping on Yoder when I say that, when I've spent that kind of money for it. I have no desire to stick a match to $95.00 worth of 1lb steak and possibly end up feeding it to my dogs.

With cast iron, and heated to the temperatures I'm talking about, I absolutely KNOW beyond any shadow of a doubt, that it will be OK. No questions asked.

Much props to your Yoder. Much respect for you and your opinion.

But I'm not messing around when it comes to a piece of meat that I just absolutely have to get right.

BTW, as a side note, the first steak I chose that day was $140.00 as it was sliced thicker. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on one steak and so I settled for this particular one.

Personally, I wound't dream of trusting that expensive of a steak to any pellet grill. Just saying.

No worries man, I wasn't trying to start anything either. As a steak lover, and a Yoder owner, I was just letting people know, that the Yoder can sear that steak, without a problem.

I'm looking at getting a pellet pooper soon, but I don't know if I should go horizontal or vertical. I'm not looking at trying to cook 20 racks of ribs at a time but would like to be able to do more than 2 or 3 every now and then. What say you learned fellas?

However I wouldn't do anything less than pan sear that steak in either a hot as hell cast iron skillet, or on a cast iron griddle over raging hot lump charcoal and reading at 800* plus at the dome, near 900* at the iron, a little less than 1 minute per side, which is what I did....

But searing on a pellet grill, just me, but I don't call that searing.

You just have to have the right kind of pellet grill. :mrgreen: The charbroiler side on the PG1000 has been measured at 1000°, and I believe it. The design they use is the same as their commercial charbroilers, and almost gets too hot. First time I used it, I set the grill to 600°, (which is measured on the indirect side, the direct side gets WAY hotter) and I killed (literally) 2 steaks in 2 minutes. Since then I've backed the temps down to 400° for steak and that works great with 4 mins first side, 3 mins second side. However, if I want to get crazy, I can always bring the steak up to temp on the indirect side and crank it up to do a reverse sear.

I'm also not trying to start anything, but just want to provide some data.

Started off with the steaks cold, no reverse sear here.
cjs1yPjl.jpg

Fire!
K3ewPxbl.jpg

Finished
tIFDhR0l.jpg

Plated
6egR5Mel.jpg

Not Pittsburgh Black, but I can easily get there if I want. Those steaks were cooked at 400° (so probably 700° at the grate?). Pellet grill manufacturers have been paying attention in that people want to be able to grill (and grill well!) on a pellet grill. Here's a round of steaks that I cooked on my BIL's Pit Boss ($399) and let me tell you, the direct sear area is SERIOUS!

So here's what we're working with
hZncCbAl.jpg

Fire!
rDl4e12l.jpg

These were cut a bit big :wink:
u2VEuLfl.jpg

Plated
ApKM5Onl.jpg

So you can see, that even with the right entry level grill, you can get incredible grilling performance, even better than what I've had on high-end gas grills.

You just have to have the right kind of pellet grill. :mrgreen: The charbroiler side on the PG1000 has been measured at 1000°, and I believe it. The design they use is the same as their commercial charbroilers, and almost gets too hot. First time I used it, I set the grill to 600°, (which is measured on the indirect side, the direct side gets WAY hotter) and I killed (literally) 2 steaks in 2 minutes. Since then I've backed the temps down to 400° for steak and that works great with 4 mins first side, 3 mins second side. However, if I want to get crazy, I can always bring the steak up to temp on the indirect side and crank it up to do a reverse sear.

I'm also not trying to start anything, but just want to provide some data.

Started off with the steaks cold, no reverse sear here.
cjs1yPjl.jpg

Fire!
K3ewPxbl.jpg

Finished
tIFDhR0l.jpg

Plated
6egR5Mel.jpg

Not Pittsburgh Black, but I can easily get there if I want. Those steaks were cooked at 400° (so probably 700° at the grate?). Pellet grill manufacturers have been paying attention in that people want to be able to grill (and grill well!) on a pellet grill. Here's a round of steaks that I cooked on my BIL's Pit Boss ($399) and let me tell you, the direct sear area is SERIOUS!

So here's what we're working with
hZncCbAl.jpg

Fire!
rDl4e12l.jpg

These were cut a bit big :wink:
u2VEuLfl.jpg

Plated
ApKM5Onl.jpg

So you can see, that even with the right entry level grill, you can get incredible grilling performance, even better than what I've had on high-end gas grills.

Impressive and I appreciate the data sleebus.

I know that when I’ve hit 900* at the dome in my KJ, that it’s at least 1000*F at the grate.

But I think what steered the discussion in this direction was the gentleman's, Ice MF Mike's, desire to sear on his pellet grill.

My point was that he already has great searing capability in his possession in his WSM, and so he doesn’t have to, unless he just wants to, drop extra money on add ons to a pellet grill, or purchase one of the more expensive grills with great searing capabilities. A PG 1000 for example, which you reference above, retails for $2,991.00. That's a lot of coin to drop. By my estimate, and someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's nearly 2 grand above and beyond the price range of some of the pellet grills that he mentioned in his post, in an attempt to get to where he already is or close to with his WSM.

In other words, if his interest is in searing, well then he might already have what he’s looking for.

He says that he wants: "Ability to cook things like burgers, steaks and dogs and sear. Basically allow me to grill as well. Most of my cooks will be smoking but i do want the option to be able to grill the quick stuff if needed."

Any of the choices he's contemplating will grill a burger, steak or a hotdog, and some will also reach temps of near 500*- 600*, and for many people, they're satisfied with just that capability and feel that this is hot enough to sear a good steak.

In his post, he mentioned that he was shopping or contemplating the: "Ironwood 650 however, after reading through this thread and other sources i think i am leaning towards either the rec tec Bull 700 or the Camp Chef Woodwind sg with a searbox."

He goes on to mention another brand as well and in a similar price range.

These are of course not in the same price range as the very capable PG1000, and with good reason.

You mentioned the Pit Boss above too, and if he's considering a $399.00 or thereabouts price range Pit Boss as his first pellet grill, then, like anything else in that price range, it would likely help him to look at owner reviews, complaints, etc., of those in comparison to the other offerings that he is considering.

But again, it’s his money to spend as he pleases and I wish him all the best.

And also again, I thank you sleebus for the pics and data.

Last edited:
Yup agree with all you said there SlowmotionQue. The WSM definitely will deliver the mail.
The PG1000 isn't cheap, although I did find mine on CL for 50% off. Couldn't get there fast enough haha! I wanted to include that Pit Boss Classic in there as that was my first experience with it and it was very impressive for the price (actually at any price!). Probably the most capable PG I've used, dare I say in that price range. It's an extremely good option for someone starting out.

Smoke on, brother! :)

Back