THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to MAK where nothing comes cheap! ;-)

Lots of guys start off down the “loaded” 1 Star path and next thing ya know, they have a 2 Star sitting in their backyard. I say this with complete conviction, there are certain cookers on the market that IMO are more an investment than a purchase... and I would absolutely consider MAK to be one of them... I just do not see how you will ever really wear it out. Check out this post I came across awhile back from another VERY happy MAK owner who happens to have a pretty good knowledge/relationship with the company/manufacturer that many us owners have come to love... (before reading, please do not hear me saying that MAK is the only solid option on the market, because I do not for one second think that is true! I just happen to think that you can’t beat a MAK... just my opinion).

"Many here may not know this, and I will try to be as accurate as I can, with my apologies to MAK if this is out-of-turn:

MAK Metals - the parent of MAK Grills - is one of the country's main providers of the equipment that most of us have ignored, but we pass by it every day. The big brushed stainless boxes that are on one corner of a light controlled intersection. These "boxes" contain some pretty sophisticated electronics that control the traffic lights and can link up with an entire network of others, which can be controlled remotely to alter traffic patterns/flow. So, the boxes must be robust - and the electronics MUST work.
This is the background - rugged weather durability and dependable electronics design/implementation - that MAK Metals brought into the outdoor cooking industry.

MAK is a true locally owned, American made product. It is well supported because they designed the controller themselves. ( reference above business experience - you can begin to see the relevance of their history and success in the outdoor cooking industry) The only other companies I have seen even attempt this - have been miserably poor controllers, that have needed ( and still need from everyone I know using them) constant firmware up-dates. MAK does have a few up-dates....but not because of "problems" with the previous ones. Just adding features and an occasional "tweak" . The rest of our industry buys their controller from 2 or 3 companies that make "canned" - or standard models which approximate different size pits in cooking volume. Whereas the MAK controller recognizes the air flow, and individual characteristics that make MAKS cook so evenly across the grill surface. Just look at the awards they have won - from the same industry association that serious outdoor cooking manufacturers are part of:
https://www.makgrills.com/awards/
These are recognition by your peers/competitors that you are building a superior product, and offering the consumer great value.
Quality does not cost - it pays....because you will never need to replace a MAK because you "wore it out". Their focus is not the same as many companies - whose philosophy is based on "life cycle" . Those companies plan on trying to sell you another, and then another, and another grill when you "wear out" your grill.
Again - my apologies to MAK if I mis-spoke here....But they are one of those quiet, focused companies that does not do much advertising. They don't need to I suppose, when their customers are their marketing dept! :D

Wow. You really hit the nail on the head when you said “nothing comes cheap” when it comes to Maks. $2600.00 for a loaded 1 Star General with the WiFi, Flame Zone and cover, and 429 square inches of cooking space on the one grate.

Currently in my lineup, I have a Rec Tec Stampede, a 22in WSM and a Kamado Joe Classic.

Between the $899.00 original KJ classic, (the Classic II goes for $1199 now days) the Joetisserie, the cast iron griddle, 2 cast iron grates, the pizza stone, that I have for my KJ Classic, I have about $1300.00 into the whole KJ shooting match.

It’ll smoke, sear with the best, roast, rotisserie and grill. It’s just not fully automated or set it and forget it.

My Stampede was $899.99. The cover was another 70 bucks.

So I have about $2300.00 in those two cookers. And had I gone with a Bull, I’d have about $2600 into both of them.

I also have in the lineup a 22in WSM, no add ons. Think I paid $400 for it.

But $2600.00 right now, would buy a Rec Tec Bull and a Kamado Joe Classic II, with about $$200 left over. Enough for 2 of those insanely expensive steaks I bought.

Were I in the market for a cooker today, and I was looking to spend $2600-$2700 or thereabouts, I’d have to ask myself if I wanted a Mak 1 Star General with WiFi, extra grate, cover and flamezone, or if I wanted two cookers. A good Kamado with accessories and a good pellet grill with WiFi.

I can certainly see advantages both ways.

Last edited:
Wow. You really hit the nail on the head when you said “nothing comes cheap” when it comes to Maks. $2600.00 for a loaded 1 Star General with the WiFi, Flame Zone and cover, and 429 square inches of cooking space on the one grate.

Currently in my lineup, I have a Rec Tec Stampede, a 22in WSM and a Kamado Joe Classic.

Between the $899.00 original KJ classic, (the Classic II goes for $1199 now days) the Joetisserie, the cast iron griddle, 2 cast iron grates, the pizza stone, that I have for my KJ Classic, I have about $1300.00 into the whole KJ shooting match.

It’ll smoke, sear with the best, roast, rotisserie and grill. It’s just not fully automated or set it and forget it.

My Stampede was $899.99. The cover was another 70 bucks.

So I have about $2300.00 in those two cookers. And had I gone with a Bull, I’d have about $2600 into both of them.

I also have in the lineup a 22in WSM, no add ons. Think I paid $400 for it.

But $2600.00 right now, would buy a Rec Tec Bull and a Kamado Joe Classic II, with about $$200 left over. Enough for 2 of those insanely expensive steaks I bought.

Were I in the market for a cooker today, and I was looking to spend $2600-$2700 or thereabouts, I’d have to ask myself if I wanted a Mak 1 Star General with WiFi, extra grate, cover and flamezone, or if I wanted two cookers. A good Kamado with accessories and a good pellet grill with WiFi.

I can certainly see advantages both ways.

Certainly understand where you’re coming from... MAK’s are definitely not for everyone. I am not sure I’d have a MAK sitting in my backyard today had I not purchased a buddies older 1st gen 1 Star a number of years back. I bought it just to see what all the MAK fuss was about... not really taking it to seriously. I consider that old 1 Star the gateway drug that got me to where I am today... lol.

Certainly understand where you’re coming from... MAK’s are definitely not for everyone. I am not sure I’d have a MAK sitting in my backyard today had I not purchased a buddies older 1st gen 1 Star a number of years back. I bought it just to see what all the MAK fuss was about... not really taking it to seriously. I consider that old 1 Star the gateway drug that got me to where I am today... lol.

I blame the $180 Camp Chef SE that I got on clearance...Now I have a YS640

Big Poppa smokers is having a MAK sale this weekend. Also 4x the BPS points, so if you want to pull the trigger on one this would be the time. Just got the e-mail from them for this. The 1 star is $100 off and the 2 star is $200 off.

Thanks. Any issues with buying through big poppa instead? no warranty issues or anything like that? is the cover the same one from Mak?

No issues with big poppa, I ordered thru them when I bought mine. Your order will be shipped from MAK. Sign up for the rewards points before you place your order, so you get the 4x bonus points this weekend.

In the world of pellet grills, I really believe that you get what you pay for... and I think the last few responses reinforce that. Seems many have found that going from a less expensive Chinese made pellet muncher to a higher end US Made unit to be well worth the expense :)

In the world of pellet grills, I really believe that you get what you pay for... and I think the last few responses reinforce that. Seems many have found that going from a less expensive Chinese made pellet muncher to a higher end US Made unit to be well worth the expense :)

I’m usually a buy once cry once kind of a guy but talking my wife into $2k right out of the gate wasn’t going to happen. Once she started using the Traeger getting something bigger was an easy sell

I’m usually a buy once cry once kind of a guy but talking my wife into $2k right out of the gate wasn’t going to happen. Once she started using the Traeger getting something bigger was an easy sell

Looking at your signature... it appears that the Yoder is your one and only grill/smoker? If yes, you sure did make a good choice :)

Looking at your signature... it appears that the Yoder is your one and only grill/smoker? If yes, you sure did make a good choice :)

I have a charcoal grill also but I don’t use it enough to really justify having it in my signature. It’s more for doing burgers and dogs for the kids or if I am really craving a steak over charcoal

I'm sure that many have.

But if I don't ask, then surely someone else will, and so I ask in all sincerity as it is a legitimate question.

When it comes to food, what does it do, that is $1300.00-$1400.00 or more, better than what the "American company but Chinese manufactured", models offered by Rec Tec and Grilla do?

Last edited:
What is the highest temp that the mak 1 produces smoke at? Any issues smoking hot and fast? I tend to smoke pork butts at say 275-300. Is that doable on any pellet grill? Or will i have to get used to starting it on a low temp for a few hours first?

But if I don't ask, then surely someone else will, and so I ask in all sincerity as it is a legitimate question.

When it comes to food, what does it do, that is $1300.00-$1400.00 or more, better than what the "American company but Chinese manufactured", models offered by Rec Tec and Grilla do?

This is why:

Cv34Duj.jpg

The PG1000/PG500 have a unique internal layout and airflow that no other pellet smoker (that I know of) has. The indirect side is completely separate from the direct side. Also, the exhaust is below grate level. You can cook on indirect heat at 500F and not burn the pizza on the indirect side. It's really impressive. All this and you can get insane high heat on the direct side for steaks and other searing. I've got skin-on Salmon ready to go on tonight. :thumb:

GMGs, Traegers and all the other pellet cookers all have the fire pot under the the cooking area. Yes, I know there's diffusers and drip trays etc, but you still get radiant heat through those trays, and I found it tended to really cook the bottom of the meat as there is still radiant heat coming from under. I started cooking my briskets fat down, which helped a lot, but still I wasn't 100% happy.

Once I moved to the PG1000, I was hooked. Excellent results, no more overdone bottoms and you can do ribs at 350 (if you want) and not burn em'.

I'm sure that many have.

That’s a great question, one I have asked myself quite a few times. In my opinion, you have to consider economies of scale here. Going from a $300-400 pellet cooker to a $1300-1400, you are much more likely to see bigger gains then when going from a $1300-1400 pellet cooker to a $2800 pellet cooker. That said, the $2800 pellet will often have “things” that do not exist in the less expensive units. Obviously, I can only answer for myself, but why did I choose MAK over something like Rec Tec? Below, I have listed some of the thoughts that moved me in the direction I went.
*I am in no way bashing RT, but rather explaining my thought process.

Tangible:
—US marine grade 304 SS vs imported 430 SS.
—Higher level of engineering/innovation/design, which from low-n-slow to hot-n-fast, offered me the level of performance I was looking for in a pellet grill.
—US made down to the last screw... even the included allen wrench kit is super nice & made in the US ;-).
—No paint/rust/less-than-304SS issues to ever have to deal with.
—Small family owned company and I appreciate their low-key laid-back marketing approach… consisting of little more than word-of-mouth... to me, that speaks loudly!

Intangible:
—Pride of ownership and enjoyment in day-to-day use. With outdoor cooking being my #1 and most enjoyed hobby/passion, this is a very real thing to me personally. Really no different than an avid golfer purchasing the most expensive set of clubs on the market vs. another great set that is half the cost. Simply put the nicer more expensive set of clubs brings more joy, satisfaction and pride every time he practices his craft. You could say the same about cars/trucks and many other things.

Lastly, I’ll repeat something that I have said several times before. A $2800+ pellet cooker is absolutely not for everybody. I strongly encourage people to first figure out their max budget, then make a list of their wants and especially needs... then research the market to death and purchase the pellet grill (or any grill for that matter) that most closely meets the list of needs/wants for them and those they cook for :)

It’s one of the great blessings of living in this country… we have choices :)

Last edited:
I'm sure that many have.

Quite simply nothing rec tec has can cook at 700 ambient temp or 1000 degrees directly over flame like my Memphis can. I don’t know if I could tell a difference on a pork butt cooked low and slow between the two...I’ve never tried it side by side?

As far as grilling, there is just no comparison to a Memphis and a rec tec, or most other pellet grills. ....(and I owned and cooked on a Primo oval xl for 8 years, so I’m well aware what ceramics can do).

It goes without saying the build quality and material quality is night and day different between them...doubtful it affects the cook and it’s not likely I’ll have it long enough (10 plus years) to test longevity advantages of 304ss in the Memphis over the rec tec stuff (I’m sure I’ll be bored with it before then and will want to try something new).

For me, the extra cost (well over 2x the cost of the rec tec) is worth it due to reasons I mentioned and pride of ownership...I doubt someone could give me a rec tec as I couldnt stand to look at those bull horns every time I cook....I can’t stand them and I don’t like the marketing they do:)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back