THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Between the two you mention, and looking at your goals, Rec Tec all the way.

BTW, I own a Rec Tec so full disclosure.

On a side note, you have those who will tell you that a WSM is "set it and forget it".

Like you, I own a WSM too, and I know very well that it's not set it and forget it.
Yea i just want to be able to hit a button and get going some days.

Have you been able to grill on the rec tec? Sear? I want to have something that can grill or smoke well.

Have you been able to grill on the rec tec? Sear? I want to have something that can grill or smoke well.
I have a friend with the older RT 680 and it's not the best PG for grilling, it takes his grill a good 35-40 minutes just to get up to grilling temp. Maybe the new grills are better, he ended up buying GrillGrates for it which helped with searing but because of the time it takes to heat up he eventually purchased a gasser for high temp grilling like on burgers and steaks.

Those Maks do look nice. Im trying to stay under say 1300ish.

I am not typically one to push someone outside their budget, but with a budget of $1300, you are not all that far away from a MAK 1 Star. MAK’s are in a league of their own IMO. You wouldn’t have to do it right from the get-go... but if you were to add the MAK Flame Zone to a 1 Star, you’d have the exact pellet cooker that you are after. A phenomenal smoker, arguably the smokiest pellet smoker on the market, along with that’s it’s a really good everyday grill. Super high quality everything... aluminized steel under the high temp powder coating means no rust in your future... the highly programmable Pellet Boss controller for ultimate control... easy to clean... US made down to the last screw... a pellet cooker that’ll last for MANY years. Yeah, I’m a fan... lol. Buy once, cry once :)

If you’re going to sear, you already have the best thing for that. Your WSM.

Use your middle grate for coals. Put your ring on the middle grate. Put coals, I use Royal oak lump charcoal in the ring and directly on that middle grate. Put your top grate on, and you’re ready to rock and roll. Searing is not a set and forget endeavor anyway. And I’ll put this technique against any pellet grill out there.

Your middle grate can take the direct heat of coals. But alternatively you can line your bowl with foil, sit it on your middle grate, put coals in the bowl, about a half bowl of coals, and put your top grate on.

You won’t find a pellet smoker that will sear better than that setup which is really just a Weber Kettle.

Grilling on the Rec Tec is no problem. Temps up to 500* can be hit rather easily. So wings, veggies, and other stuff that you’d normally grill can easily be handled by the Rec Tec.

But if I’m searing, and really need to bring the heat, I either use the setup I just described to you, or my Kamado Joe over cast iron grates.

600*-700* plus to sear a steak is not a challenge for my Kamado Joe. Or my WSM configured as described. I can easily hit 600* plus at the dome with it configured like that. I have replaced the stock thermometer in the lid with a spare Kamado Joe thermometer, so I know. The updraft with the vents open and it set up like that is advantageous.

But again, when your searing, you’re talking a minute or two per side on say a steak. And that’s not a set it and forget it endeavor anyway.

Last edited:
Between the two you mention, and looking at your goals, Rec Tec all the way.

BTW, I own a Rec Tec so full disclosure.

On a side note, you have those who will tell you that a WSM is "set it and forget it".

Like you, I own a WSM too, and I know very well that it's not set it and forget it.
I usually cook hot & fast on the WSM, but have done several low & slow overnight cooks on it. It pretty much stays where I put it.

I usually cook hot & fast on the WSM, but have done several low & slow overnight cooks on it. It pretty much stays where I put it.

I hear you and can’t argue with your description, because it’s similar to how I would characterize my own experience with the WSM. I currently own two, an 18 and a 22. The 22 is currently at my main home. I’ve owned the 18 longer than the 22, but have owned both for a few years now and have used them a lot.

However sometimes with mine, “pretty much” can extend over into “nowhere close” depending on wind and climate at say 3:30AM here in the northeast during an overnight cook.

But there’s “pretty much”, and then there’s the “plus or minus 5 degrees or tighter” temp variation, that the Rec Tec’s PID controller gives. I set it at 225*, and I know it’s not going to go more than 5 degrees outside of that, and probably not even 5 degrees.

Just me, and YMMV, but I can go to sleep on that after putting on a full packer prime brisket. But I’m not comfortable going to sleep on the “pretty much” that my WSM gives me with the same piece of meat.

Last edited:
If you’re going to sear, you already have the best thing for that. Your WSM.

Use your middle grate for coals. Put your ring on the middle grate. Put coals, I use Royal oak lump charcoal in the ring and directly on that middle grate. Put your top grate on, and you’re ready to rock and roll. Searing is not a set and forget endeavor anyway. And I’ll put this technique against any pellet grill out there.

Your middle grate can take the direct heat of coals. But alternatively you can line your bowl with foil, sit it on your middle grate, put coals in the bowl, about a half bowl of coals, and put your top grate on.

You won’t find a pellet smoker that will sear better than that setup which is really just a Weber Kettle.

Grilling on the Rec Tec is no problem. Temps up to 500* can be hit rather easily. So wings, veggies, and other stuff that you’d normally grill can easily be handled by the Rec Tec.

But if I’m searing, and really need to bring the heat, I either use the setup I just described to you, or my Kamado Joe over cast iron grates.

600*-700* plus to sear a steak is not a challenge for my Kamado Joe. Or my WSM configured as described. I can easily hit 600* plus at the dome with it configured like that. I have replaced the stock thermometer in the lid with a spare Kamado Joe thermometer, so I know. The updraft with the vents open and it set up like that is advantageous.

But again, when your searing, you’re talking a minute or two per side on say a steak. And that’s not a set it and forget it endeavor anyway.
agreed. its more the setup time. Sometimes i dont want to have to add charcoal, wood, get it lit, get it to temp all to sear it.

I am not typically one to push someone outside their budget, but with a budget of $1300, you are not all that far away from a MAK 1 Star. MAK’s are in a league of their own IMO. You wouldn’t have to do it right from the get-go... but if you were to add the MAK Flame Zone to a 1 Star, you’d have the exact pellet cooker that you are after. A phenomenal smoker, arguably the smokiest pellet smoker on the market, along with that’s it’s a really good everyday grill. Super high quality everything... aluminized steel under the high temp powder coating means no rust in your future... the highly programmable Pellet Boss controller for ultimate control... easy to clean... US made down to the last screw... a pellet cooker that’ll last for MANY years. Yeah, I’m a fan... lol. Buy once, cry once :)

If im going to do a quick steak how long does it take to get up to temp to cook in this flame zone? How hot does that Flame Zone go? I dont see a ton of reviews on it.

The directions on my 11 year old Traeger says to "always start on smoke and keep lid open until the flame is evident". This prevents any type of build up that causes pressure and the reaction you witnessed.

If im going to do a quick steak how long does it take to get up to temp to cook in this flame zone? How hot does that Flame Zone go? I dont see a ton of reviews on it.

With the Flame Zone in place, I’d say about 20 mins and you are running around 500+. That said, with the Flame Zone covers removed, an ambient pit temp of 500° will give you a cooking grate temp of close to 650°. It’s HOT! Personally, I do all of my grilling with the controller set to 450° (grate temp around 575°). Works great! I will say though, if you are used to searing steaks over a 1000° pile of screaming hot lump charcoal, than this is not that. What I am saying is that the MAK makes for a fantastic everyday grill... but without introducing something like a piece of cast iron (which is common and works great), you will not be flash searing like you can with lump charcoal. Just want to make sure I am clear about that :)

Just to give you a visual. In addition to the Flame Zone, I also have the MAK sear grates. Here’s a pic of some chicken thighs and burgers that I recently grilled at 450°. They were really good!

1711383592a91feaf2b0d3a3921c2a76.jpg

9330d5a719d33207aa830e2f664f083d.jpg

With the Flame Zone in place, I’d say about 20 mins and you are running around 500+. That said, with the Flame Zone covers removed, an ambient pit temp of 500° will give you a cooking grate temp of close to 650°. It’s HOT! Personally, I do all of my grilling with the controller set to 450° (grate temp around 575°). Works great! I will say though, if you are used to searing steaks over a 1000° pile of screaming hot lump charcoal, than this is not that. What I am saying is that the MAK makes for a fantastic everyday grill... but without introducing something like a piece of cast iron (which is common and works great), you will not be flash searing like you can with lump charcoal. Just want to make sure I am clear about that :)

Just to give you a visual. In addition to the Flame Zone, I also have the MAK sear grates. Here’s a pic of some chicken thighs and burgers that I recently grilled at 450°. They were really good!

1711383592a91feaf2b0d3a3921c2a76.jpg

9330d5a719d33207aa830e2f664f083d.jpg
So to get this type of searing, are you using the flame zone and grill grates or just the standard grates and setting the temp to high? cant the rec tec get up to this temp as well with grill grates?

you are making my decision more difficult now :grin:

So to get this type of searing, are you using the flame zone and grill grates or just the standard grates and setting the temp to high? cant the rec tec get up to this temp as well with grill grates?

Here is a reverse sear Tri Tip that was cooked with the stock SS grates.

Smoked on the top shelf at 245, left the back cover on over the FZ and smoked over that.

bSPSZEa.jpg

Pulled when the IT hit 125 then cranked the grill up to 450, 10min later back on the grill over the FZ about a 3min sear per side. No grill marks but it had a great crust.

mLIIdtR.jpg

4xUVW7r.jpg

Just for comparison here is a TT that was reversed seared on a Weber Kettle using the same Rub.

GooNKmv.jpg

Great questions!
-- These pics were with the Flame Zone and MAK sear grates. No, you do not need the sear grates... they just add a bit of beauty... lol.
-- Yes, the Rec Tec from what I have read can hit these higher temps. That said, the experience will be different IF you add the Flame Zone to the MAK 1 Star. 500 on the MAK vs 500 on the RT will not be the same when using the MAK FZ. MUCH hotter on the MAK. Also, from what I have read, you are going to come close to doubling your pre-heat times on the RT vs the MAK. About 20 minutes on the MAK, and 40 on the RT when grilling at 450+.

agreed. its more the setup time. Sometimes i dont want to have to add charcoal, wood, get it lit, get it to temp all to sear it.

Rec Tecs can reach 550* on the highest settings. At the grates, this would be hotter of course.

I’ve seen an image of a Rec Tec Bull’s temperature reading which exceeded 550* on another site not affiliated with Rec Tec, and it was around 600* as I recall. But I don’t know if the image was or was not authentic.

I hit 450 on my Stampede just yesterday in 22 minutes.

And just for fun, and to burn off my grates, I’m about to go out and hit it again right now for the purpose of this discussion.

Last edited:
Yesterday was a warmer day. I hit 450* on my Rec Tec Stampede in about 22 minutes.

Today, I have included pics with this post. The ambient temp according to an open Thermopen is a little under 60*.

The Rec Tec has been closed and covered all day, and the temp inside of it for this "test" was about 77* before I fired it up.

I initially set it for 450* for this test, but thought better of it as the PID controller tends to back off as the set temp is reached. So I jacked up the temp to 465*, or set it to "overshoot" the temp that I was testing for, so that it wouldn't slow down on the pellets and air as it approached 450*

My Stampede reached 450* on this 59.8* day somewhere between 29 and 30 minutes.

Not bad considering the ambient temperature. I reached it in about 22 minutes yesterday, which was a warmer day.

The graphs are from the Rec Tec app on my iPhone.

I took pics of the graphs at 5:47PM after it had been running and at 5:51PM after it had hit 450*

The important time to look at, is at the bottom of the graphs. The start time is 5:21:29PM EST. I took a look at 5:50:54, she had hit 450*

If my math is right, then that's 29 minutes, 25 seconds.

So no, it does not take 40 minutes for a Rec Tec to reach 450*. Not even on an unseasonably cool spring day.

Sk7sUotl.jpg

ZFVXG9Ml.jpg

oOiE8nGl.png

Ua5OJJOl.png

fcJS3rml.jpg

Great questions!
-- These pics were with the Flame Zone and MAK sear grates. No, you do not need the sear grates... they just add a bit of beauty... lol.
-- Yes, the Rec Tec from what I have read can hit these higher temps. That said, the experience will be different IF you add the Flame Zone to the MAK 1 Star. 500 on the MAK vs 500 on the RT will not be the same when using the MAK FZ. MUCH hotter on the MAK. Also, from what I have read, you are going to come close to doubling your pre-heat times on the RT vs the MAK. About 20 minutes on the MAK, and 40 on the RT when grilling at 450+.

See above.

Also, the gentleman in this thread,

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271875

hit 375* on his Mak 2 Star in 17 minutes. I doubt that he can go up another 75* degrees in 180 more seconds or 3 minutes and hit 450* in 20 minutes vs 375* in 17 minutes.

But he might be able to go up another 75* with his Mak in that 180 seconds. I’m not saying that it can’t be done.

I hit 405 on my Rec Tec today in 23 minutes looking at my graphs. My point, I don't know now where I hit 375*, as I didn't take a pic of the graph at that point, but I would not have been too far behind the Mak's 17 minutes for that same 375* temperature. I’ll test again tomorrow, from a cold start, to see how long it takes to hit 375*.

40 minutes to hit 450 plus degrees on a Rec Tec? No. That’s crazy for a quality pellet grill to take that long to hit 450*. Not unless something is wrong with it. But if you’re talking about one of these Traegers, well yeah, it just might take that long to reach 450*.

But when it comes to serious searing, I'm sure that you know, a pellet grill is simply no match for lump charcoal and cast iron in a Kamado or a Weber Kettle or WSM set up appropriately.

DhhTZzzl.jpg

Notice, I'm putting wood chunks on top of the grates for flavor and they're even lighting up and burning to ashes if left there for long enough.

If Ice MF Mike is looking to sear, then he already has the best tool for that job. He might need to get a good set of cast iron grates for his WSM. But aside from that, nothing.

Ice MF Mike, in the time it takes you to light a chimney of Royal Oak, no pellet grill is going to get hotter than that chimney of lump in the same period of tone.

And it will take you less than 5 minutes to put your fire ring onto your second grate and pour charcoals into it. Set up time is minimal.

Last edited:
I have the Camp Chef 24DLX with the sear box. I love the Camp Chef & couldn’t wait for the sear box to be released, I bought it within a month of release & have only used it three times since then. It does everything it claims it will do, it’s no fault of the sear box but I just never think to use it. When I’m using the Camp Chef I use it strictly as a smoker, not even sure how hot it will get so if I’m grilling I’ll use my Akorn Kamado or now my Performer.

I’m very intrigued by all the Mak posts, looks like the perfect smoker/grill set up but it’s a lot of money (worth it I’m sure) & my Camp Chef has been rock solid every single time I fire it up. If I ever have a problem & NEED another pellet grill I’ll definitely look at the Mak but it’s triple the price so it will be a hard one to justify.

Here’s the last cook I did using the sear box, Christmas roast 2017....

Last edited:
I have the Camp Chef 24DLX with the sear box. I love the Camp Chef & couldn’t wait for the sear box to be released, I bought it within a month of release & have only used it three times since then. It does everything it claims it will do, it’s no fault of the sear box but I just never think to use it. When I’m using the Camp Chef I use it strictly as a smoker, not even sure how hot it will get so if I’m grilling I’ll use my Akorn Kamado or now my Performer.

I’m very intrigued by all the Mak posts, looks like the perfect smoker/grill set up but it’s a lot of money (worth it I’m sure) & my Camp Chef has been rock solid every single time I fire it up. If I ever have a problem & NEED another pellet grill I’ll definitely look at the Mak but it’s triple the price so it will be a hard one to justify.

Here’s the last cook I did using the sear box, Christmas roast 2017....

I certainly hear you. The cheapest Mak out there, the 1 star general, I believe is $1800.00. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. My Rec Tec Stampede cost me $899.00.

If it takes less 5 minutes difference longer to reach 450*, then I'm good with that. I can spend the extra money on meat. I'm not saying that for those who own Maks that they aren't worth it, as I hear nothing but good things about them.

We all of course, spend our money as we like, case in point, I just bought this on Friday.

nUG4XpKl.jpg

L2EVEsQl.jpg

Now, I paid almost $100.00 for that one steak. Right at $90.00/lb. No way in hell it was going to see anything on God's green earth which burns pellets. I don't care what it is. Mak, Rec Tec, Yoder, what have you. I'm going to use the right tool for the job.

If I'm serious about searing a steak, especially one that I've paid good money for, searing it on a pellet grill would be a travesty.

Fn8KqCWl.jpg

0MIjlzEl.jpg

0MIjlzEl.jpg

B2OOlhbl.jpg

xTjQ3G5l.jpg

Last edited:
I certainly hear you. The cheapest Mak out there, the 1 star general, I believe is $1800.00. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. My Rec Tec Stampede cost me $899.00.

If it takes less 5 minutes longer to reach 450*, then I'm good with that. I can spend the extra money on meat. h\

We all of course, spend our money as we like, case in point, I just bought this on Friday.

nUG4XpKl.jpg

L2EVEsQl.jpg

Now, I paid almost $100.00 for that one steak. Right at $90.00/lb. No way in hell it was going to see anything on God's green earth which burns pellets. I don't care what it is. Mak, Rec Tec, Yoder, what have you. I'm going to use the right tool for the job.

If I'm serious about searing a steak, especially one that I've paid good money for, searing it on a pellet grill would be a travesty.

0MIjlzEl.jpg

0MIjlzEl.jpg

B2OOlhbl.jpg

xTjQ3G5l.jpg

Drooling!!!!!! [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]

Back