THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had a leftover piece of prime rib roast in the freezer and decided to cook him up today. Cut him in half and do them as steaks vs a roast...about 36-40oz each.And a prime fillet for the wife

110db86a2da4dc70f4c40d1ebb7c9b01.jpg

Smoked at 230 for about 1:45 until 117 and then pulled and rested while grill got up to 450. I meant to do them direct without grill grates and forgot honestly...wife made some twice baked taters and paired with Decoy cab (young wine, but not too bad for $18...not as good as Freakshow cab for $16!)

e4df56de4384cf1fa5b6d9b25488df0c.jpg

827ea598364baa557e727a2c0af987f6.jpg

de9f3e7449f36fba76f2d9af5a6a1012.jpg

db34162a3b442e12c5dd6b7d41a63cb8.jpg

And nope, still haven’t found new plates we like...still rocking the Christmas plates...just might do it all year until Christmas:)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mojobricks

I was considering how to use the mountain of kiln dried hickory drops resting in my garage when cooking on my pellet smoker. I have used that hickory in my vertical and barrel but, thinking outside the smoker, where to put it in combination with the pellets.

When pellets are on sale I may stock up on fruitwoods. For now, the near double premium I paid for 100% Apple pellets spurred me to consider supplementing pellets with alternative wood types. Fruitwood chunks are not proportionately expensive. Academy has many chunk fruitwood varieties and modestly priced fruitwood blended pellets however like I said, I have a wealth of Hickory I would like to use. Even though kiln dried, it is really potent.

I enjoyed using a homemade pellet tube but that was designed to use pellets, not my stock of hickory.

Stumbling upon the mojobricks product, I realized it is basically a big square pellet, ie compressed wood. Then I saw a Youtube video where the pellet griller had put the mojobricks in his Yoder smoker, not on, in or near the pellet firepot, but up on top of the heat defector.

If compressed wood works, why not natural wood? I am going to test this idea. I'd be interested in others thoughts and experiences.

I was considering how to use the mountain of kiln dried hickory...

I had a similar problem, and spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to efficiently turn a pile of seasoned branches and bags of chips into sawdust for use with a sawdust-based smoker (before I got my pellet grill). I never really settled on an acceptable solution, outside renting a very heavy-duty chipper... which probably wouldn't really produce sawdust anyway, but just more chips.

If you could solve that problem, it probably wouldn't be too hard to jury-rig a contraption to compress the dust, or maybe come up with a food-grade binder...

Another thought would be to use a table saw and cut your logs into 1/4" or 1/8" slices, like a deli slicer, and lay those flat on the diffuser. They might be more liable to smolder if they're thin. Then, collect the dust from the saw for use in a tube.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know what you come up with!

Cooked a butt on the Daniel Boone Saturday and it came out great. Took pics but they came out blurred; alcohol may have been involved. Used Lumberjack Hickory pellets and it had a very mild smoke taste. I'm getting used to it and actually like the results and my guests loved it. Thinking of cooking one on the WSM next weekend and see if it's too smokey for me after getting used to the pooper.

I had a similar problem, and spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to efficiently turn a pile of seasoned branches and bags of chips into sawdust for use with a sawdust-based smoker (before I got my pellet grill). I never really settled on an acceptable solution, outside renting a very heavy-duty chipper... which probably wouldn't really produce sawdust anyway, but just more chips.

If you could solve that problem, it probably wouldn't be too hard to jury-rig a contraption to compress the dust, or maybe come up with a food-grade binder...

Another thought would be to use a table saw and cut your logs into 1/4" or 1/8" slices, like a deli slicer, and lay those flat on the diffuser. They might be more liable to smolder if they're thin. Then, collect the dust from the saw for use in a tube.

You could mix the wood chips with pellets and use them in your tube. On my gas grill, I mix wood chips and pellets in a "Mo's Pouch" to extend the smoke times.

If you have a mitersaw with a bag or a shopvac, i few cuts on a split should give you a decent amount of sawdust.

Has this grill been mentioned?? This is now on my dream grill list!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24tHIiU16HY

This thing is incredible!! Twin Eagle. I love the versatility and me being a gadget guy, I love the touch screen. This thing is priced pretty heavily, so it will not be in my line up quite yet, but it is on the list. I also love the fact it does charcoal.

Last edited:
Has this grill been mentioned?? This is now on my dream grill list!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24tHIiU16HY

This thing is incredible!! Twin Eagle. I love the versatility and me being a gadget guy, I love the touch screen. This thing is priced pretty heavily, so it will not be in my line up quite yet, but it is on the list. I also love the fact it does charcoal.

If I was in the market for a new one, this is what I would get

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I ordered two Grillgrates to fit over My PB820D direct flame zone. Should be here tommorow. Will need to cook some Ribeye's, but i just got done seasoning the Timberline 1300, so i may have to dual cook a beer can chicken on the 1300 and some Ribeyes on the PB.

Any 1300 owners have WiFi issues? I keep losing connection. I have no issues with my phone or Fireboard in the same exact spot i have the 1300.

Hey guys, new pellet grill owner (approximately one month) and new to the world of smoking. So far I’ve smoked a pork tenderloin, and a pork butt. Both turned out great.

So having learned to crawl, I’ve decided before walking, I’m gonna race Usain Bolt.

Son’s 23 birthday is this weekend, and there will be a large group of people there. Mostly family and a couple of friends.

I’ve got three racks of baby back’s in the freezer, brother-in-law is going to bring over a prime brisket, and just for sh*** and giggles, I want to do another pork butt.

My YouTube and Google fu has been failing me, so figured I’d ask the experts...

Is it possible to do all of this at the same time? If so, how should I go about it?
I have a PitBoss Austin XL, so room is not a problem. I just don’t know how to make all that meat cook right and get it all to finish about the same time (say within an hour of each other?)

Oh, and just to make it interesting, I’ve never done ribs before, lol. Or a brisket for that matter, but I figured a brisket is probably a little more forgiving than baby back ribs. I’ve been scouring YouTube for recipes and techniques for both meats. If ya’ll have any, I’ll try ‘em!

Matter of fact, since I’ve got three racks, I’d do three different recipes/styles! Though I’d like one of them to be a ‘fall off the bone’ type of cook.

Anyway...a long, rambling, demanding first post, but hey! Go big or go home!

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Back