The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Not sure what info you are looking for, but don't see how having a separate forum would make it easier. Seems if you want some specific information, asking a question, would get you further, than demanding something.

I'm just a new guy hereabouts, but I came here specifically to find out information on the wonderful world of pellet grills. And it didn't take me very long to find out this site does NOT have a pellet grill forum; just a single thread with 142 pages of information to swim through. Not good. What's up widdat? Come on Admin, enough already.:grin:

It ain't that hard to add a forum specifically so the information can be spread out in threads just like all the other forums. This is a great BBQ website and I've already picked up a couple of things I didn't know just last week when I joined. I will hate to stop coming here, but I probably will if a pellet grill forum doesn't show up soon. Yes, I know; I'm just one member out of thousands and won't be missed at all. But I'm 100% positive that I'm not alone in wanting a separate pellet grill forum, on this otherwise wonderful site. No harm; no foul if there isn't a separate forum, but I'll be looking elsewhere for the information I need.
:focus:

Most of the niche cooker forums are dead to be honest. You’re better off just asking whatever questions you have. There is also a search function if you don’t want to do that which is what I do most of the time.

Welcome to the Brethren!

Absolutely 100% agree with these guys ^^^^

You will not find a better—more active—solid advice forum on the web than right here with the Brethren! I have tried, and it ain’t greener on the other side… lol :)

From (recent) experience I can say that other pellet-focused forums I've found are very inactive, at least now during the bbq "down" season. One of them (no names) has taken 2 weeks (so far) to accept my registration!

I, too, would prefer a subforum, but it seems like most people stick to the Q-Talk section anyway, so you'd lose out on all of the input from people who aren't pelletheads. People are certainly encouraged to start new threads about pellet-related topics, it doesn't have to go in the "megathread".

Welcome!

There is so much to learn from other methods of smoking and cooking that can be used on pellet grills. I like it the way it is. Every time I see a specific question about pellets, I see plenty of great responses.

This thread just happens to be a long conversation....

I'm just a new guy hereabouts, but I came here specifically to find out information on the wonderful world of pellet grills.

I can save you a lot of heartache. There is one guy on here, bludawg who said it best, "its just heat and meat". The critical element in every cook is mastering that. That is the zen of the Q. Once mastered any gizmo will bend to your will.

This is the place to learn the Q. Stick burners have something to teach you, barrel cooks can open you eyes and they all share willingly.

You are home; take off your coat, kick off your shoes and get comfortable.

I can save you a lot of heartache. There is one guy on here, bludawg who said it best, "its just heat and meat". The critical element in every cook is mastering that. That is the zen of the Q. Once mastered any gizmo will bend to your will.

This is the place to learn the Q. Stick burners have something to teach you, barrel cooks can open you eyes and they all share willingly.

You are home; take off your coat, kick off your shoes and get comfortable.

very Very VERY well said!!! :)

If this site had a sub forum for every type of smoker, everybody would still be using the first type of smoker they tried. I went from electric, to charcoal, to pellet. I will most likely never get into stick burners mainly because they are more work, and i am in the crowd that prefers subtle clean wood flavor. I am sure a stick burner master could achieve this, but the pellet grill smokers already do so with less tending to. Also, its easier to buy pellets then trying to hunt down seasoned wood of various types.At least in my area.

Cooking my first butt on the Daniel Boone tomorrow. Going to use Lumberjack Hickory. Wish I had thought of getting 2 and cooking one on the WSM to see the difference. Oh, well, we'll see what my guests think tomorrow night.

Cooking my first butt on the Daniel Boone tomorrow. Going to use Lumberjack Hickory. Wish I had thought of getting 2 and cooking one on the WSM to see the difference. Oh, well, we'll see what my guests think tomorrow night.
Cut it in half. More bark...more better!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Those side by side comparisons are always fun. Most of the time I favor the pellet over charcoal but sometimes charcoal wins out. It’s a different flavor profile that I really can’t explain well. One isn’t smoked any heavier really but one has a wood flavor and other charcoal (which is wood) so the difference is very subtle.

Aapologies

Certainly didn't mean to offend anyone and I really WASN'T demanding - it least I didn't intend it to sound that way. I can plainly see that this is a very active, excellent 'Q' site. I have no complaints in that department.

However, I've been a forum user on the Internet for maybe 30 years now, and for me, it's always been easier to find information when I search a sub-forum devoted to the specific equipment at hand. Some of you disagree, and I'm fine with that.

And i can't disagree with the 'heat & meat' generalization, but it sure shortens the learning curve if I can zero in on just one forum that would more than likely give me the correct answer in the shortest amount of time. Just sayin'.

Thanks for listening. I'll step down from the soap box now and get back to 'Q' talk. Y'all take now.
:thumb::hail::focus:

No worries whatsoever... again, welcome to the Brethren! You really have stumbled upon the best BBQ forum on the planet. Seriously :)

Well this is my first official post here, after lurking for the last two or three months. Sold the Traeger a few weeks ago and just made this purchase. Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250, what a beast! Completed the initial burn in and did some reverse seared filets. My decision was between the YS 640 and this...for me Pitts and Spitts wins hands down. I added the larger casters and extended front shelf. Well worth it!
1f679866bd329ab3e0860d36cf16d113.jpg
24e2cf588f658856770002fd9b831107.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well this is my first official post here, after lurking for the last two or three months. Sold the Traeger a few weeks ago and just made this purchase. Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250, what a beast! Completed the initial burn in and did some reverse seared filets. My decision was between the YS 640 and this...for me Pitts and Spitts wins hands down. I added the larger casters and extended front shelf. Well worth it!

First, WELCOME to the Brethren! Second, CONGRATS on one heck of a nice pellet grill! Third, I am stoked to have a new Pitts owner here as there’s not enough of you yet. Fourth, let’s see some action/food pics!!!!!!

Curious, how hot did you take if for the reverse sear and how long did it take to hit that temp? I’ve been curious about the heat up times on the Pitts with all the HEAVY gauged steel.

Beautiful grill! I also would like to hear your opinion on how it cooks

$$$

And I thought I spent to much on my Camp Chef Woodwind with Sear Box. :laugh:

Nice looking unit. :clap:

You can do some serious smokin' & grilin' on that machine. And from one newbie to another, "Welcome".

Ok so anyway, I live in Southern NJ and it's about 42 and overcast today. Did the initial burn in at 375 and it took about 45 mins to get there. Reverse sear was done at 450 and results were excellent. Nice marking and wonderful flavor.

Cant wait to get cooking and share my thoughts.

Congrats on a great cooker and welcome! I had a Pitts and spitts 24x48 offset a few years back. They build nice stuff for sure

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back