The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Beef ribs yesterday on the Pitts & Spitts 850. These did not suck.

y4m4jvFYPeFixTskM2WDYcb52Hi5TMUU4WKIj0VfA936zC3LQ1ocNdEA-ZsuXCtrd27_UfHGq4Cc2CurQycop-YvZyerLZfRP6HqZKnSmYA5wmnWtpygafowPj75TivVF760oI6fKJv8Xe5bKyZFqfHaA1LoEN5PUkMyzdTGEy9OlmZjnuoT2vnTn2ilMxkVcUoNkNBGh0VULp_ou4VGsewnw

y4mYpp56XnWGdK4uKhTPYhQHE9IuP2lQYFneLokbzNkUhpav6QTMmjG_qFe8UZEeE_29iYsOw4otpFu8rcilU9UUVe5R1wPIdiN39-6eRqNR3VCQEoGmlXhVtt4AwVXYNueluUlcg6sUAiLdi5UPDpUidblG4ehf86ewMiFcFJnIOlI64HULls_OBEk6yJNdptmpWerjLsvDNRmnZVfxj-GwA

y4mKkZ7UPlE-E5h0mG1WuJMZ7of08R3YIOZ0djP-wkFiDC7KONWDqVCO8Tl4oSvFMOBO7WEey29KTR6u1t0m8VsDXS9uWZCQJSxXqpluE9QmWV13vPVoA6BN1bBclRDvfdZyc5xE_T6L1con9DkFvajoQ82A81KrTU8RVgaPBWAfXkF5t1Wdj3whkMkmoEUD2PI-GUrgWLC8PabMS13Rt5gtw

Looks perfect!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cooked several grocery store steaks the last few months on the DB at 225, then searing on the gasser, with good results, but good steaks I cook on the Performer - didnt' want to risk it. Last night, we had company over and I cooked 4 2-inch prime strips on the DB the same way. Best steaks I've cooked in a long time! I'm sold on this method.

Cooked several grocery store steaks the last few months on the DB at 225, then searing on the gasser, with good results, but good steaks I cook on the Performer - didnt' want to risk it. Last night, we had company over and I cooked 4 2-inch prime strips on the DB the same way. Best steaks I've cooked in a long time! I'm sold on this method.

When you say the “same way” last night... was that a pellet/gasser reverse sear?

Smoked some kielbasa with apple wood pellets and seared on the grill grates afterwards. Put them in a recipe I made up today. I call it Cajun gravy lol

Last edited:
It was! Think jambalaya without the rice. To compensate for the lack of rice I thickened the sauce to a gravy consistency. I always stand a spoon straight up in the bowl to let me know I got the right consistency.

Recipe?

2 diced sweet onions, 4 ribs of celery diced, 3 green bell peppers diced. Sautéed these in a pan of avacado oil and butter mixture until onions are translucent. Added large can of reduced sodium chicken broth and large can of diced tomatoes with about 3 tbs of a Cajun seasoning blend. Simmered for about 15 minutes. Added a reduced sodium chicken broth and corn starch slurry to thicken the sauce and added the cold mixture slowly and stirring it in. Brought to a boil for one minute and reduced heat back to a simmer. Added the smoked and grilled kielbasa then done.

Pit Boss Competition Blend BBQ Pellets - 40 lb Resealable Bag

A blend of Maple, Hickory and Apple hardwoods.

I picked it up at Walmart, the 40lb bag was cheaper than the unblended 20lb bags.

I have to say my experience was disappointing. Feeds well, burns well, plenty of BTUs. It just doesn't produce smoke. Someone gifted me some of the much maligned Traeger Hickory and it was far better.

My pit will run at 180 and I ran it at that temp for several hours, no smoke. Cooked the thighs thoroughly, but no smoke. With most pellets brands I can't stand too long near the exhaust ports without getting choked up and eyes watering. This was just like standing near a space heater.

Might just be my bag but I am not impressed. I'll use it as backup post-smoke just for the BTUs. It seemed to empty the hopper faster but that is an impression, I didn't test it.

I picked it up at Walmart, the 40lb bag was cheaper than the unblended 20lb bags.

I have to say my experience was disappointing. Feeds well, burns well, plenty of BTUs. It just doesn't produce smoke. Someone gifted me some of the much maligned Traeger Hickory and it was far better.

My pit will run at 180 and I ran it at that temp for several hours, no smoke. Cooked the thighs thoroughly, but no smoke. With most pellets brands I can't stand too long near the exhaust ports without getting choked up and eyes watering. This was just like standing near a space heater.

Might just be my bag but I am not impressed. I'll use it as backup post-smoke just for the BTUs. It seemed to empty the hopper faster but that is an impression, I didn't test it.

I still can’t figure out why some pellets smoke well and others don’t. Is it moisture content?

Smoke flavor is really hard to measure. What is perfect to one is creosote to another.

Smoke flavor is really hard to measure. What is perfect to one is creosote to another.

I agree with that. Preference for smoke flavor changes over time too. I used to love a TON of smoke flavor on food but now it just makes my mouth tingle.

I still can’t figure out why some pellets smoke well and others don’t. Is it moisture content?

These were in a sealed bag but outside (covered) at Walmart. They feel dry and are shiny/hard.

Natural products vary from batch to batch, season to season. I suspect there was a reason they were so cheap. I don't expect Walmart to be that reactive, that on top of things but these were very inexpensive.

That is true however when I work with other smokers, part of the fun is boobing and weaving to complete the task in throat choking, eye watering smoke. Must be a guy thing. Then the compliments when your family tells you "You smell delicious". It didn't happen with these pellets.

My experience with Pit Boss pellets is the same as yours. I am just finishing up a 40 lb bag I use for BTU's at the end of a cook. They will be the last I use. I have been happy with B&B pellets. Much more smoke.

I had a camp chef smoke pro SE to start. With Pit Boss pellets, the temps were all over the place, with wide swings.

Need A Seperate Forum

I'm just a new guy hereabouts, but I came here specifically to find out information on the wonderful world of pellet grills. And it didn't take me very long to find out this site does NOT have a pellet grill forum; just a single thread with 142 pages of information to swim through. Not good. What's up widdat? Come on Admin, enough already.:grin:

It ain't that hard to add a forum specifically so the information can be spread out in threads just like all the other forums. This is a great BBQ website and I've already picked up a couple of things I didn't know just last week when I joined. I will hate to stop coming here, but I probably will if a pellet grill forum doesn't show up soon. Yes, I know; I'm just one member out of thousands and won't be missed at all. But I'm 100% positive that I'm not alone in wanting a separate pellet grill forum, on this otherwise wonderful site. No harm; no foul if there isn't a separate forum, but I'll be looking elsewhere for the information I need.
:focus:

I found some other pellet grill forums. Takes a week to get a reply. If we added forums for every type of cooker it would just spread out the info and not as many of us would contribute. I get your point though. I can't remember anyone else threaten to leave over this...

Edit: forgot to say welcome! Hope you decide to hang around. I haven't found a better place.

Back