THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JimmyR1Rider

is one Smokin' Farker
Hopefully will be a great success. I really heavily stressed the sanitary steps EXACTLY how meathead laid it out.

Yes there are pics of the most basic steps taken but if it helps anyone in the future it's a good thing is the way I looked at it. Plus I wanted to document absolutely everything I did for the process. Thanks for looking.

Started with a 29.59lber. Trimmed it up including taking some bone off.

Scrubbed the ham as told in the article(without soap on the ham obviously) and washed everything equipment wise with hot soapy water (did it twice) and then rinsed with 1oz bleach/1 gallon water.

I mixed all the salt and Prague powder for all the cure in 1 gallon of distilled water in the kitchen aid and dumped it all in the container then injected the ham in as many angles I could down the bone and the thick parts of the ham.

Hopefully I got enough everywhere. We will soon see:

The garage went down to 39 overnight and hold 41 during the day so I'm really looking forward to seeing the results. I'll make sure to flip it 180° each day.

Last edited:
My ex's uncle was off-the-boat Italian. Passed away about 7 years ago.

He was old school. Made his own prosciutto. Hung it from floor joists in the basement for over a year. It was damn good.

Remember asking him about making it. Said the most important thing was getting most of the moisture out as soon as possible. Recall him saying he pressed it early in the process. Can't recall how he did it.

Good luck with your cure!

Is that just water you're soaking it in?

No. I put all the salt and Prague powder for the full 6 gallon batch (and then did another 3 gallon batch in the 1 gallon and then poured all the water into the tub.

That's why I used the kitchen aid mixer. By hand it would have taken forever to dislove it all. The mixer I left going for probably 15 minutes or 20 until it was totally disolved

Last edited:
No. I out all the salt and Prague powder for the full 6 gallon batch (and then did another 3 gallon batch in the 1 gallon and then poured all the water into the tub.

That's why I used the kitchen aid mixer. By hand it would have taken forever to dislove it all. The mixer I left going for probably 15 minutes or 20 until it was totally disolved

I'm a little confused :confused:. Did you use enough salt and Prague powder for 6 gallons and mixed it into one gallon of water? Did you add 5 gallons of water to that? How much water is in the tub? How much did you inject into the ham? I've never done this and I would like to try it.

I'm a little confused :confused:. Did you use enough salt and Prague powder for 6 gallons and mixed it into one gallon of water? Did you add 5 gallons of water to that? How much water is in the tub? How much did you inject into the ham? I've never done this and I would like to try it.

The cure is 3 gallons of distilled water 20 ounces by weight of mortons and 3 tablespoons of Prague powder.

I put a gallon of distilled in measured out 2lb 8 Oz of mortons and 6 tablespoons of Prague #1. Mixed until totally dissolved and then dumped the gallon with cure in it and the other 5 into one tub. I then made up a 3rd batch to make sure I had enough. I put probably a quart and a half or so of cure injected everywhere it was thick and along the bones and then submerged it in the tub and the cure.

So all together it was 9 gallons of distilled 9 tablespoons of Prague and 60 ounces of mortons. Some of that is what I used for the injection.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the results of your effort!

Thanks man. So am I :wink:

Great pics Jimmy!! You're in for a treat. I did one two years ago and it was amazing!

Thanks Sako. I hope it'll be good. I have Christmas cooking detail this year for the fiances family in her sisters new house. No pressure lol

I have dibs on the first sandwich.

You got it, I'll send some express mail.

Wooo hoo! Lookin' great so far! Thanks for taking all the time for the pics, I know it's not easy.

THANKS!! You're welcome. It's actually my pleasure.

My ex's uncle was off-the-boat Italian. Passed away about 7 years ago.

He was old school. Made his own prosciutto. Hung it from floor joists in the basement for over a year. It was damn good.

Remember asking him about making it. Said the most important thing was getting most of the moisture out as soon as possible. Recall him saying he pressed it early in the process. Can't recall how he did it.

Good luck with your cure!

Thanks brother. My soon to be father in law is off the boat Italian also. I'll be inheriting his sausage and other recipes hopefully.

The cure is 3 gallons of distilled water 20 ounces by weight of mortons and 3 tablespoons of Prague powder.

I put a gallon of distilled in measured out 2lb 8 Oz of mortons and 6 tablespoons of Prague #1. Mixed until totally dissolved and then dumped the gallon with cure in it and the other 5 into one tub. I then made up a 3rd batch to make sure I had enough. I put probably a quart and a half or so of cure injected everywhere it was thick and along the bones and then submerged it in the tub and the cure.

So all together it was 9 gallons of distilled 9 tablespoons of Prague and 60 ounces of mortons. Some of that is what I used for the injection.

:doh: OK. I got it now. Thanks.

Back