THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q

quasi

When smoking a turkey is it better to hang it or set it on a roasting pan?

First off, welcome aboard and go intoduce yourself in Cattle Call.

I've never hung a bird. I've smoked them right on the grates. Do you have a Bandera, or other smoker?

I've smoked a turkey breast in the past and just set it in the Bandera. I kind of treated it like a boston butt, not hung or in a pan. There was a conversation a while back about placing meat in a pan when smoking, but I can't remember if anyone said that reduces the amount of smoke taken in by the meat.

NCGrimbo

I have a Bandera.
With baffle and firebrick lined. Added two Cast Iron wood stove grates to the fire box for the coals.

Put on rack and then got a turkey cannon like this.
tkyc.jpg

I inject and set it straight on the grates in my Bandera.

Thanks for the input.
I haven't seen the turkey cannon before. Just did some reading on it. That could help a lot considering the bird I plan to smoke is a rather large wild turkey.

I like to start it with the feet pointing towards the fire to let that absorb a bunch of the heat and radiate it inside the bird. I don't if that actually does anything scientifically, but it makes me feel better.

Pretty much like everyone else here I just put it on the grate. Seems to work just fine. GOOD LUCK.

I picked up a larger Beer Butt type stand for turkey(s). Works just like a BBC - just a little larger. Sits right on the grate.

I just did 2 seperate 11 pounders this past weekend in the Bandera, first time I have ever done turkey.
Cooked them at about 250 for 5 hours, pulled them at 170 and then foiled and coolered them for 5 more. Served them up at the annual Rod and Gun Game Dinner, everyone raved about it, came out very very good.
I didnt brine or inject and just rubbed with my mustard/garlic rub, cooked over a nice cherry fire and then coated with maple syrup when I foiled them.
Definately gonna do it again.
Soon.

Back