Turkey Breast Hold Time?

zachg18

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm making 2 briskets and 2 turkey breasts for my family Thanksgiving dinner.

Last time I made a brisket I held it for almost 15 hours in my oven and it came out great.

Can I hold a turkey breast that long or it will mess it up/dry it out?

Ideally I would like to smoke this all at once the day before so I don't have get my smoker up and running again on thanksgiving day (and can get over to my parents house earlier).

Thanks!

Long holds can be beneficial for poultry but it does tend to dry out some the longer you go. Ever have one of those rotisserie chickens from the market? They are super tender. I personally wouldn't go that long. Birds cook in a few hours so I wouldn't bother.

Maybe cook ahead and reheat. I think a Texas bbq style breast (no skin finished wrapped) would reheat well.

Good luck

I recently saw Turkey hold time = Turkey cook time for optimal results.
It was Ramsey so depending on your opinion of him, that's how good the advice is.

Turkey breast cooks fast. Cook it up in the morning, rest time is however long it takes to get to where you will be eating it.

I will reheat turkey w/ sous vide for 1-3 hours (depending on if I'm taking it out of the freezer). It comes out amazing. Yesterday, I did an entire turkey for TG, vac sealed, and I will serve that for an out-of-town TG. It comes out great, and very safe since you basically pasturzie it.

Thanks! I think I'll have to do the reheat option then. I dont have a sous vide machine so will need to figure out next best option.

Appreciate any recommendations!

If holding, you want to shoot for 150F in the thickest part in the breast. Hold at 150F for a few hours and 30 minutes before serving time, crisp up the skin at high heat.

Thanks! I think I'll have to do the reheat option then. I dont have a sous vide machine so will need to figure out next best option.

If you're doing Texas style breasts, just pop the foil packages in the oven to warm up. Should be plenty of butter in them.

If you're doing Texas style breasts, just pop the foil packages in the oven to warm up. Should be plenty of butter in them.

I googled Texas style breasts. :shock:
Results actually came back a lot cleaner than I thought they would. Reading the recipe - it really reminded me of a Paula Dean recipe - "then you take a stick of butter". How can it possibly be bad with a whole stick of butter?

Back