THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MAN UP Boondoggle, sheeeesh! Help out the March of Dimes Bro! For criminy sakes.......:biggrin:

Yeah, Bob! After the Kookers Kare raffle, it's not like you're paying to enter the KCBS part of the contest! :lol: You should enter Kids Q while you're at it too! :lol:

Does Kookers Kare give out receipts that I can use as a tax write off for the raffle tickets? Winning this entry alone almost broke us even for all the raffle tickets. With the gift basket we won, we were probably about even.

We should have - we bought $200 in raffle tickets - $150 for comps, $25 for the misc raffle and $25 for the pellet pooper.

Bob, check this out... I emailed Richmond (the contest we won for $100 in contest raffle tickets) and asked for their entry form... turns out the contest has 15x15 sized sites with apparently no electric and no payout for reserve grand, just grand and 1st through 3rd in each category. They want $50 extra for a larger site. Whatever! I'm checking the box for the larger site and sending only my certificate. Free is free. Methinks no one associated with that contest has ever been a contest cook! LOL!

I wrote a check for mine so I would have a receipt. Our goal for this year to to keep better track of expenses.

Chris
Early Bird BBQ

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you get something for your donation, it isn't tax deductible, right? Like contest entry fees... you get to enter a contest so technically it isn't deductible... but that being said, the IRS would be hard pressed to determine you got something in return for your donation to Kookers Kare.

Bob, check this out... I emailed Richmond (the contest we won for $100 in contest raffle tickets) and asked for their entry form... turns out the contest has 15x15 sized sites with apparently no electric and no payout for reserve grand, just grand and 1st through 3rd in each category. They want $50 extra for a larger site. Whatever! I'm checking the box for the larger site and sending only my certificate. Free is free. Methinks no one associated with that contest has ever been a contest cook! LOL!

Sanctioned?

I thought KCBS mandated cash prizes for top 5 in every catagory and Grand and Reserve.

15x15 - be positive - you can walk around the EZ up.

First off, KCBS should know that their rules aren't being followed. Grand and reserve AND minimum 20x18 spots are mandatory.

First off, KCBS should know that their rules aren't being followed. Grand and reserve AND minimum 20x18 spots are mandatory.

I am only guessing on the reserve... they don't even mention it. I'll see what they reply with. Thanks Steph! I also emailed Karen Walker on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you get something for your donation, it isn't tax deductible, right? Like contest entry fees... you get to enter a contest so technically it isn't deductible... but that being said, the IRS would be hard pressed to determine you got something in return for your donation to Kookers Kare.

Thats right. If you win something you can deduct the fair market value of it against your contribution. We didn't win amything so we get to deduct everything.

Chris

You are correct Chris! I had taxes done last night. I had to subtract the cost of the BIA shirt last year that I received from our contest from the total amount of money donated (the bullsheet ad, cost of the biscuits and gravy for the breakfast etc.....).

I will do a better job of keeping track this year!

You are correct Chris! I had taxes done last night. I had to subtract the cost of the BIA shirt last year that I received from our contest from the total amount of money donated (the bullsheet ad, cost of the biscuits and gravy for the breakfast etc.....).

I will do a better job of keeping track this year!

Oops! Almost forgot about that stuff... I didn't keep track of mileage I drove for the BIA but I do have proof of $$$ spent for the domain name and hosting of the contest Web site.

OK ...guess we're hijacking our own thread! Back on topic!

So, if I understand this correctly. Bobby won the contest entry on the one ticket he bought and get to deduct $149 for the nonwinning tickets. wink wink

Usually on the front of the certificate notes any restrictions imposed, if we were told of any... In general, you get a standard spot in the "free" entry.... Just like the Royal isn't going to give me my normal spot and power free, just cuz I won it :twisted: That would be nice though. That would put me $2K ahead!!!

So, if I understand this correctly. Bobby won the contest entry on the one ticket he bought and get to deduct $149 for the nonwinning tickets. wink wink

Hmmm how do you take your "gain" on that one ticket LOL

Yea, raffles, auctions, etc are typically not write offs. anytime you are expecting to gain additional value from the donation... it isn't deductible.

How dare they not give you your entire parking lot!

Oh, back on track

I'll be in Pleasant Hill and am looking forward to it. Can we get a spot up in the southeast section near the awards?

Got two more entries and two more judges today... we're up to fifty CBJs (need about ten more) and 12 teams (need about 36 to 38 more!!!). If you're planning on competing here, we'd like to get filled up ASAP so we can concentrate more on doing the little things that will make this a great contest (like getting a lot more sponsors!!!) so get your entries in as early as you can. Thanks and see you in a few weeks!

We are having some positive response from local businesses about sponsorships. Hopefully we will have some announcements soon!

Thanks to Stan, we now, as of this morning, have another major sponsor for the contest... Save-a-Lot Food Store here in Pleasant Hill shocked us with their interest and good sized donation! And we did some dealing and now he will also be offering pre-ordering of meat at a reduced price for all teams interested. We looked over his stuff this morning when we went in to meet with him and he carries Choice Excel full packers in various sizes, nice looking chicken and spares (forgot the brand) that are not injected with any solution of salt and water! He also carries babybacks but is currently out as they fly out of the store for some reason. Butts look to be good but they're all sliced in half so we didn't see full ones... but they will be available. We'll post contact info on our Web site soon at www.SmokinOnBigCreekBBQ.com. He said he'd go about 6% over what it costs him to get it so it should save you some $$$. We're lookin' out for you guys!

Back