THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
My Costco has been selling big, amazing, bone-in pork chops. I picked up a huge pack of 1 inch chops with bone, about 8 of them in there.

Last week I grilled them and they were awesome (see pic). I just topped them with salt and pepper. Very juicy and the pork flavor really came through.

However, I'm pondering putting them on the smoker then adding a spicy chipotle/honey glaze at the end.

Any thoughts on smoking pork chops? How long you think a 1 incher would take?

John

Attachments

Lots of folks brine them, haven't done it myself but it's on the list.. .
Wonder how well these would hold up to the t-rex method...

Yeah I've used Alton Brown's brine. It's great. But if you cook them right they can be juicy without a brine.

I was watching a TV show on "state fair food" and the fair in Texas had a booth that sold bone in smoked pork chops. Looks like the chops were smoked for a couple of hours at low smoking temp. Then brushed with BBQ sauce. Looked AMAZING!

I don't just brine them, I cure them! Forty-eight hours in the wet brine/cure and then I smoke. Ham chops! If you like ham, you'll like these bunches. My last were almost 2 inches thick and I should have injected them. At 1 inch you shouldn't have any problem.

If you don't like ham, don't add the cure and minimize the sugar, but still brine them for moisture retention. Adding a bit of Amesphos to the brine helps with moisture retention as well. It really just depends on how much of a flavor hit you are looking for.

Man, been meaning to try thick chops for a while now ! I know that many on this board prefer to reverse sear but I don't. I prefer to sear the hell out of steaks/burgers then finish them in the main chamber by smoking. You get a great char and smoky flavor. Easier to control finished temp as well. Thanks for the inspiration, I'll have to look for these !

Back