THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's a good recipe -

Ingredients

• 1 whole Large Onion
  • 2 cups Buttermilk
  • 2 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 Tablespoon (scant) Salt
  • ¼ teaspoons (to 1/2 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 quart (to 2 Quarts) Canola Oil
  • Black Pepper To Taste
Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk and soak for at least an hour.

Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
Heat oil to 375 degrees.
Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.
Repeat until onions are gone.

That's probably thin enough. If you try it and decide you want them even thinner, you can pick up a mandolin slicer for $10-15 that will do it very nicely. I'll bet you end up finding many other uses for it too.

Here's my $.02 on coleslaw. This is a basic recipe I use that gets good reviews. Tweak as you like.
Head of cabbage about 1 1/2 lb
1/4 C Cider vinegar
1 T granulated sugar
1 t celery seed
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t black pepper
3/4 cup mayo
1 T Dijon mustard (Grey Poupon is best)

Core and thinly slice the cabbage.
Mix all other ingredients together
Mix cabbage and dressing, tossing to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least an hour.

(T = tablespoon, t = teaspoon)

It's good on brisket sammies too, or right out of a dish.

nope, no way, it is the best thing ever. !!!!! i dont like slaw to much, but i have found that if you add some bbq sauce to the slaw, and then put i on the pork. oh man.

ok here is a recipe for you to try. i did this for a cooking class and they all loved it.

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; direction: ltr; widows: 2; orphans: 2; } Caraway Coleslaw

** ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (sour cream will work as well)
¼ cup mayo
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbls honey
salt and pepper
2 tsp caraway seeds
1 green cabbage cored and shredded
2 carrots coarsely grated
1 cup golden raisins

** If Greek yogurt is not available, use 2/3 cup regular yogurt and let it drain in a cheese cloth for two hours until thick.

Mix up the yogurt, mayo, vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, and caraway seeds until a smooth sauce is made. Add the sauce to the cabbage, carrots and raisins until desired taste is accumulated.
For additional optional flavor, add a bit of your favorite bbq sauce to the coleslaw.

Hot slaw

I eat it with a and without slaw, but mostly with for sure. It's an incredible combination if the slaw is made right....no sweet stuff in my slaw

I've been tweaking with some hot slaw recipes and think I've finally gotten it....very simple, few ingredients and no sugar

I eat it with a and without slaw, but mostly with for sure. It's an incredible combination if the slaw is made right....no sweet stuff in my slaw

I've been tweaking with some hot slaw recipes and think I've finally gotten it....very simple, few ingredients and no sugar

I agree.. Cabbage, mayo and S&P only for me. Goes great with PP.
It's a MUST with a pot of beans, fried potatoes and cornbread.

EDIT: Just seen that you are from Dalton as well. :peace:

"Yes".
I just need to plan my reply when I add carrots and cabbage to the grocery list and the wife questions it by asking "What do you want this crap for?"

"It's a surprise honey". :blah:

Tell her that you saw a wild rabbit in the yard and it looked really skinny.
(You should get extra points for being a big ol' softy, that's worried about the little bunny being hungry.) :loco:

I would be interested in the hot slaw recipe. Love me some hot slaw and can only find it locally.

For those not local, it usually has pickled jalapeno rather than carrots and is yellow and not creamy.

Big fan of slaw on pulled pork, or at least as a side item. My recipe:

2 packages shredded cabbage coleslaw mix
3/4 cup real mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons grated onion
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons brown deli mustard
Splash of Worcestershire
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Mix it all together and let mingle for at least 2 hours.

I actually prefer Chopped Pork over Pulled (I'll pull mine off smoker at 190*ish IT and let rest 1-2 hrs then Slice n Chunk n Chop) and Like Picnics over Butts.......I did put some Sauced Brisket Slices on some Slaw that was on Sauced Chopped Picnic Pork on a Soft Roll from WallyWorld Bakery and it was "FANTASTILISTIC!" :p

Back