THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

we eat it that way all the time. After I made it for my wife that way she always insists I get (or make) cole slaw whenever we have pulled pork for dinner.

What I like to do is mix Blues Hog bbq and Tennesee Red and mix 1/2 & 1/2 and put that on, then slaw. Its a nice spincy sweet combo that I think works well with pp

There is a deli by me that has stacked corned beef and pastrami sandwiches with cole slaw and swiss on them, they are very good also!

For me its kinda like "some times you feel like a nut, some times you don't". I like sweet creamy slaw on carolina style chopped BBQ with a hot vinegar sauce but I don't care for slaw on regular "pulled" pork, just a little sauce on a toasted white roll.

Edit: PS, my wife has been experimenting with a spicey asian slaw that might work well with pulled pork & a thin hoisin BBQ sauce.

I *hate* coleslaw...and yet I do like a scoopful on a PP sammich.

I've learned that there maybe things I dislike on their own but when mixed / cooked / cut / blended / etc with other parts the sum can be better than those said parts.

I've been making Patio Daddio's tangy slaw (with my own tweaks) and is the BEST thing on a pulled pork sandwich. The sweet/tart goes great with the smokey/salty meat.

Ok folks, I've eaten countless pounds of pulled pork (and love it), but the thought of putting slaw on top of it, is worse that the thought of.....{insert your worst culinary nightmare here}....

But....I'm game. :twitch:

If I've learned nothing else, the wonderful ideas I've discovered on this excellent forum are ideas that I need to try. Without question.
So....I'm ready to make some slaw for the top of my PP.

So, if you'd be so kind, please tell this "slaw noob" the finer points of making that famous topping for a pulled pork sammie.

Thanks all! :-D

just be sure to remember the pickles, too

I think a finely shredded...slightly sweet...versus vinegary...sounds the best to me.

But what do I know....I don't put slaw on my PP. I have had it.....just not my preference.

I think a finely shredded...slightly sweet...versus vinegary...sounds the best to me.

But what do I know....I don't put slaw on my PP. I have had it.....just not my preference.

And that's the key, right there. It's what you like. There just ain't no wrong way to eat pulled pork. Even if you're from Kansas. :mrgreen:

+1 DieselDave
If you're like me, kinda lazy sometimes, get the pre shredded slaw mix and a bottle of Marzetti slaw sauce, original not the mustard, and you're good to go.
This is a sauce that no one believes came pre-made.
It's in the refrigerated area as it has no preservatives.

I grew up eating Pulled Pork sandwiches with slaw. You mean you haven't tried it? I thought everyone ate them this way?

I am not opposed to slaw on my pulled pork sammiches. They will ask you if you want slaw on the sammich, on the side, or no slaw around these parts if you order a PP sammich. If the pork is top notch, I prefer to not have slaw. If the pork is bland or overly chopped resembling cat food, I'll go slaw.

The seasoning packets in the produce section of the grocery are pretty good too. Just add mayo and a little vinegar.

Around eastern NC, where I'm from, if you don't specifically ask that they leave the slaw off, your bbq sandwich will come with it.

Personally, I love the taste of the crunchy cabbage and celery seed with a good peppery vinegar sauce.

Can also add apples, fennel bulb( to cut down on refined sugar), celery and or caraway seeds.Fennel bulbs are 10 times sweeter than sugar cane.

I actually do an apple fennel slaw w/ carrots and use greek yogurt. I put it on my Tosino (filipino style buckboard bacon) as it is pretty salty and use the slaw to help cut the saltiness of the sammich.

Yankees get their sweet from sticky sauces. Southerners use less sweet sauce and get their sweet from the slaw. It also ads a little crunch as does lettuce and pickles on a burger.

1 (16 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
2 tablespoons diced onion
Miracle whip to barely coat the slaw and
make it hold together
1 tbs splenda
salt to taste
1/2 tsp celery seeds
2 tsp coarse black pepper

Back