SirPorkaLot--A tribute to.. Crown Ribs

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Recently a rib cook was made where the membrane was scored, ribs seasoned and rolled into a Crown Rack of Ribs. Freakn outstanding. So wandering through the local Walmart I spotted two really small racks of baby backs. I've had butcher twine a long time- so I said this will be the day. Removed the membrane, seasoned, rolled and tied. Not very good tie but dam good enough. I used my smallest steel cooker- Tiernan SOB-24" with internal firebox. Last of the three bags of Cowboy lump and a blend of apple-Mesquite-Pecan. 2.5 hours at 275-300*, 45" wrapped- 20 minutes unrwapped. Probed tender and allowed to rest with strings cut. Dayuum- thank you unknown Brethren- outstanding.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate on the difference? I have never liked the results of my bb cooks.

Juicy tender and didn't taste like pork chops. The juices rose to the top and I guess self basted. Crazy. When I do BB's I always buy the smallest racks. It worked on this tie cook as well.

Last edited:
Was it an even cook through and through ? I'd be worried about the outers being better cooked than the core. Smart presentation, looks like a great look for banquet

Perfect cook. I ate both End pieces and a couple spaced out. The only pit maneuver (pun intended) I made was rotate the ribs (spin the perforated foil) I temp' it in the middle same time so probed for tenderness.

Now for the "downside". Not for me. Bride likes sweet/spicy gooey glazed ribs. Like Sriracha/brown sugar/butter or honey/black pepper.

I've several ideas how to do that, none as easy as cooking them flat or hanging

Last edited:
I feel like I have to be numerous beers deep to understand your thread titles adams.

Nice looking cook though

These Babyback came out just the way I like them. Wife likes hers @sauced@.
But she ate 4, um not quite out of the doghouse, but Im facing the right direction. This small 24" Tiernan SOB cooker loaded correctly gets about 4 hours cook time. I could probably do 4 racks of BB's rolled up like this.

Honestly I had almost given up on BB. They are back in the line up. Still going to go with the smallest racks I can find though.

Last edited:
Back