Santa Maria style cooking for dummies please?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello Brethren,

I just ordered a Titan Santa Maria accessory for my Weber 22" kettle. I ordered this with burning wood to cook tri tip and carne asada in mind.

My question is, can you folks who are experienced in doing this type cooking please give us the basic how to's, tips, do's and don'ts please? Looking to shorten the learning curve and have the confidence to give it a shot w/out a total fail & or/ trashing some good meat.

I'm sure many here will appreciate a thread on Santa Maria techinque.

Thank you in advance!
JD

Given the smaller size and round shape of the Weber kettle, instead of splits as most use in a traditional SM grill, a ratio of 50/50 charcoal and fist sized chunks of oak is what I would do to build and keep a manageable fire.

Given the smaller size and round shape of the Weber kettle, instead of splits as most use in a traditional SM grill, a ratio of 50/50 charcoal and fist sized chunks of oak is what I would do to build and keep a manageable fire.

Thanks Moose!
Hey man, how many oranges should I use w/ 4 lbs of flap steak for your carne asada recipe?
Your recipe rocks!
Thanks for everything!
JD

Thanks Moose!
Hey man, how many oranges should I use w/ 4 lbs of flap steak for your carne asada recipe?
Your recipe rocks!
Thanks for everything!
JD

I answered that question in your carne asada thread...:wink:

A few tips from my experience.

Plan 45-60 minutes of burn time to get the first pieces of wood burned down before adding food

Bank the fire on one side, add new log, raise grate all the way up, put on tri tip, move some coals under the meat but leave the log to the side to burn down and add smoke flavor.

3lb tri tip should take 60-75 minutes to get to 130ish, remove meat rest 10 minutes lower grate all the way, stoke fire to get it roaring, sear super hot for 2-3 minutes per side (don't forget the edges)

Slice immediately

It really produces a flavor unlike any other cooking method

Back