THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Progress pic

20191012.jpg

My boys are coming for dinner tonight so I picked up an 8½ pound standing rib roast. Plan on putting it on the Performer rotisserie, bones and all. Loading lump on one side and gonna catch the drippings. Will be about 3 hours sitting on the counter at room temp.

Been a couple years since doing one and sorta drawing a blank on how long it should take. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

hipshot guess is 2.5 hrs. hard to guess as I bet rotisserie temp will vary. probably be some bullseye but great crust with rotisserie from my experience.

hipshot guess is 2.5 hrs. hard to guess as I bet rotisserie temp will vary. probably be some bullseye but great crust with rotisserie from my experience.
Took it off after 2½ hours. Should have pulled it sooner as it ended up overdone. Was tasty but I have bad luck with rib roasts. Can never get them quite right in the grill. Thinking of trying Method X next time.

20191014.jpg

Took it off after 2½ hours. Should have pulled it sooner as it ended up overdone. Was tasty but I have bad luck with rib roasts. Can never get them quite right in the grill. Thinking of trying Method X next time.

20191014.jpg

is that the one where you throw it in a hot oven and then turn it off and leave it til done? I've heard it works.

I have good results cooking at low temps. my trusty turkey roaster with an analog dial works (same one I use to hot hold bbq) really well and as well as the pellet cooker. I rest for a bit so it doesn't carryover when I I sear.

is that the one where you throw it in a hot oven and then turn it off and leave it til done? I've heard it works.

I have good results cooking at low temps. my trusty turkey roaster with an analog dial works (same one I use to hot hold bbq) really well and as well as the pellet cooker. I rest for a bit so it doesn't carryover when I I sear.
Method X is pre-heating the oven to 500° then putting the roast in for exactly 5 minutes per pound. Turn the heat off and leave the roast in the oven for 2 hours without opening the door. Some I know say it works great, but I dismissed them because I've always liked playing with charcoal.

Think it's time to give X a try.

20191014.jpg

I actually love that doneness as long as you eat it fast. The beefy flavor is so much stringer than medium rare.

Gave my kids about 2½# of the roast to take home. They made a breakfast hash with it yesterday.

Still have a rib with a bunch of meat. Thinking of making stroganoff. Have made it before just winging the recipe. Anyone have a good one?

^^^Hey Al! Hope all is well brother!

Anyway, I cooked and we ate a rib roast on New Year's, but I didn't take any pix. :tsk: I did a recipe/method out of APL's book that involved a glaze that included beef base and chili powder and it was pretty fantastic.

^^^Hey Al! Hope all is well brother!

Anyway, I cooked and we ate a rib roast on New Year's, but I didn't take any pix. :tsk: I did a recipe/method out of APL's book that involved a glaze that included beef base and chili powder and it was pretty fantastic.

All is good here, Greg. Hope the same for you.

Any chance you could hook a brother up with a link to the APL glaze? I'm sure it was farkin' killer.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back