Rib Roast Appreciation Thread

I have a 5lb rib roast, trying to figure how long it will take @ 200 on the kettle. Bones are on but I think I will cut them off.

I have a 5lb rib roast, trying to figure how long it will take @ 200 on the kettle. Bones are on but I think I will cut them off.

The diameter of the roast is more important than the poundage, but a good rule of thumb would be 30 minutes per pound at that low temp. Also plan for the sear time so I'd estimate 2.5-3 hours.

Picked up a 5 bone 15.5# bone in rib roast for XMAS dinner. This thread is sure helping my game plan. Thanks for this great info.

I have never tried a reverse sear though, I may need to do that on my next.

I wouldn't, unless you like the outer edges of your prime rib overcooked like several I've seen on this thread. Yours looks gorgeous, and doesn't have brown/grey overcooked edges. I sear first (although several took the time to tell me OMG I WOULD NEVER DO THAT, pffft) and ended up with great crust and results like yours. My results are a few pages back in this thread.

SEAR FIRST 4 LYFE!! :rockon:

I wouldn't, unless you like the outer edges of your prime rib overcooked like several I've seen on this thread. Yours looks gorgeous, and doesn't have brown/grey overcooked edges. I sear first (although several took the time to tell me OMG I WOULD NEVER DO THAT, pffft) and ended up with great crust and results like yours. My results are a few pages back in this thread.

SEAR FIRST 4 LYFE!! :rockon:

I feel that's a bit misleading. Ive seen more gradient with sear first then reverse sear. The worst gradiation (?) Comes from attempts to sear in a hot oven, that i couldn't recommend.

When reverse searing i let the roast rest before the searing, its about 30 min.

I feel that's a bit misleading. Ive seen more gradient with sear first then reverse sear. The worst gradiation (?) Comes from attempts to sear in a hot oven, that i couldn't recommend.

Why not? Doing my very first prime rib and was planning on doing just that.

Why not? Doing my very first prime rib and was planning on doing just that.

Cooking is fine attempts at searing in a 450 oven end up yeilding a band of overcooked meat.

Just not enough umph to get the job done fast enough.

If i had to use only the oven i would pull the roast 10° early let rest 30 min and use the broiler with the door open, rotate a needed.

Cooking is fine attempts at searing in a 450 oven end up yeilding a band of overcooked meat.

If i had to use only the oven i would pull the roast 10° early let rest 30 min and use the broiler with the door open, rotate a needed.

Thanks. That was my plan. Though, now, maybe i will consider breaking out the grill and doing it on there.

Yup. I will pull at 115 ... kick the convection broiler to 550 and rock out.

I'm not sure how i'm being misleading? With cold meat and a hot cast iron pan, it's much more difficult (IMO) to get a gradient. I find it a much more efficient way to cook: Sear, cook, pull, wait maybe 10 mins and serve. Also, you can smack raw meat around without any worries of damaging it, once it's cooked it does get a bit more fragile. No, I don't think you can get a sear in a home oven, unless your kitchen includes a salamander broiler. :biggrin1:

For me, sear first works great. YMMV.

I've done rib roast only twice so far. Mainly because most of my eaters prefer other cuts for roast. Less fat ones which I've made several times more. Both times I only smoked. No searing at all. And it was before I started measuring internal temp. I only used time and temp control. 225* for 3 hrs which I read around the web. That led to medium-well roast. However as I remember it was moist and even juicy in the middle. I got a nice crust too but very thin. Surly next time I'll try reverse searing.

This years prime rib dinner

A beef roast for Christmas dinner is quickly becoming a holiday tradition. I mixed up things this time. I normally do bones off but cooked bones on. I also planned on a sous vide cook but didn't plan well enough. No bags that would fit this 3 bone roast, not many options 7:30am Christmas morning. Being that the oven was needed for other things and not wanting to deal with running a cooker all day i decided to try a roaster oven i bought for holding brisket. It was $30 and has a temp dial that goes real low, just what i needed for this.

Went low starting at 930am for a 400pm service. As it got close to temp i played with the temp dial to get the temp as low as possible. 130 is a good temp for the family, i like it too. I held it there for about 2 hrs until it was time to sear.

I placed the weber charcoal in the akorn and filled it with as much Stubbs as would fit.

After a good 30 min rest i seared the roast on all sides

The sides. I did the scallop taters, becky did the glazed carrots and green bean casserole. There were too many desserts

The moment of truth. nobody touch the end piece, its for dad

Nailed it

I put out fresh, prepared, and creamy horseradish as well as an au jus from the drippings. As a testament to good meat almost none was used.

For me its a generous spoon of au jus and some creamy horsey sauce

See you next year

Looking good y'all! As to the horseradish sauce - tried something new this year. I usually just mix horseradish and sour cream, but this year got heavy cream, whipped until just before it holds soft peaks, folded in horseradish (about equal parts of both - I'd put in more horseradish but there were some folks who wanted it a little more mellow than I would) and season with salt and pepper - worked out great.

Didn't get pix of the roast this year - I'll just say it looked like a prime rib roast and it was farkin delicious.

This was my first try at prime rib. I coated it with olive oil, then rubbed it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary. I cooked it in the pellet pooper 'cause I didn't want a strong smoke taste. It turned out pretty good.

I liked it better last night with a quick sear on the griddle.

I walked into Costco on the 23rd and by the way people were snatching rib roast up I thought they were giving them away. When I saw the price on each roast I thought, these people are on a whole other tax bracket than me. Nothing under $100. I thought well theres always tri tip. Luckily my local market had a special on rib roast and I was able to pick up a 9 puonder for less than a tank of gas. I"m so glad I did! Saved a 2 bone chunk for another day. Hit this with Holy Cow from Meat Church and some Brazilian Rub from Mc Cormick. Pulled at 130 and let it rest for 30 minutes.

Trimmed a little further than I should have but it came out great for my first one. Even the picky "well done" people got a piece they liked. I'm a true believer in Prime rib now! Might even get the Costco one next year...:razz:

Did something a bit different this year. Costco had Choice NY strip roast for $5.39/lb. I just couldn't pass that up, considering the rib roast was pushing $9/lb. Essentially cooked in the same way, fat-side down at 220*, then let it rest for 45 minutes, while we prepared the other things and did a quick sear. The IT was about 125* when I took it off initially:

c7a305d2-7343-4e67-9aae-9b15dc24b6cc.jpg

It didn't suck.

Did something a bit different this year. Costco had Choice NY strip roast for $5.39/lb. I just couldn't pass that up, considering the rib roast was pushing $9/lb. Essentially cooked in the same way, fat-side down at 220*, then let it rest for 45 minutes, while we prepared the other things and did a quick sear. The IT was about 125* when I took it off initially:

It didn't suck.

Funny... those prices... we pay double here:doh:

Anyway why fat side down?

Back