THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mik
Anyone ever used one of these? Worth it? Be about $43 with a pack of extra blades. i could see how it would be a help, although trimming is really not that difficult.

https://www.amazon.com/Qwick-Trim-B...1&refRID=3MYJ5YY0Y3XX92WYFD9T#customerReviews

91dJgkg79cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mostly having to do with the blades, which you can get extras of. I'm tempted, but for the price of the unit and an extra pack of blades I could buy a brisket.

I remember seeing a video of Sterling Ball using this (Big Poppa Smokers) and immediately it looked like a piece of junk. He was having a hard time pulling it across the fat cap, and it just looked like way more trouble than it was worth.

To each their own but I'll just stick to a semi-flexible boning knife. I've been using the same one for over 2 years now and it cost me roughly $15.

That's it. I use some cheap boning knife my wife had before I ever met her. She likely got it at some trade demonstration. Used it for 30 years now.

Bought one last month. Used it last week on a 19 pound brisket. For all the hard fat, it's great. You can take off huge swaths of it all at once. The slimy crap, not so much. You have to have a knife to get under it, not cut it off from the top. Worth it? Not so much, but it is handy and would be better if you had a LOT of briskets to trim down

I've been seeing these advertised on social media. My first thought was it seems like a total gimic.

I haven't tried one but i'd be worried about making bald patches pulling that across the fat cap.

My other thought is with my process of trimming i'd still need a knife for shaping the brisket.

Maybe it would work well for some but for my money i'm sticking with a curved boning knife

I know Bryan from 407BBQ used it a while back, not sure if he still does. Said once you figure out how to use it the right way, it makes trimming briskets a breeze. But probably not worth the money if you're just going to trim a single brisket occasionally. For trimming a lot of briskets at once, it saves a lot of time.

YMMV

Back