Sous Vide, who's got em!

I hate to say it but I'm in my late 50's and yet to taste salmon but this ^^^^^ might just make me buy one!

Do yourself a huge favor when you try salmon for the first time. Do not buy any of the farmed fish, Atlantic salmon. Go for fresh, wild, Alaskan salmon - either king (Chinook) or silver (coho).

The only negatives I've heard about Anova is the newer models require you to download their App in order to use. For that reason alone I bought a Yedi Wand with no wi-fi, just plug it in and set time and temperature.

I bought an 800 watt Anova back in December - currently available on Amazon for $93 and it does not require the use of an app. You can set the temp right on the device.

Do yourself a huge favor when you try salmon for the first time. Do not buy any of the farmed fish, Atlantic salmon. Go for fresh, wild, Alaskan salmon - either king (Chinook) or silver (coho).

Definitely will go fresh, Alaska!

The only negatives I've heard about Anova is the newer models require you to download their App in order to use. For that reason alone I bought a Yedi Wand with no wi-fi, just plug it in and set time and temperature.

My favorite thing to cook so far are monster bone-in pork chops with a quick sear to finish. Perfect all the way through.

The Nano can be setup and controlled via it's touch capacitive face. Connecting via bluetooth and using the App is optional.

I just found out from their web support site that you can use the new 900 watt Wifi/Bluetooth with or without using the app or phone, simply operate from the cooker itself

Attachments

• 14692FC9-4D56-464D-82F4-151A91BBDC51.jpg
    14692FC9-4D56-464D-82F4-151A91BBDC51.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 128
I have 3 Anova units. 2 800 watts and one 900. I have used them all in containers up to a 33 quart Coleman stacked cooler and there is no real difference between the 800 and 900. Just make sure the container is covered to stop evaporation and evaporative cooling.

As for the app, it is the Joule that requires the app and that is why I don’t own one. The only reason to use the Anova app is it makes it much easier to set the built in timer, but 1) Sous Vide cooking rarely needs a timer, and 2) it is usually easier to use you phone’s timer or a kitchen timer. The only controls I use 95% plus are the on off touch button and the temp wheel. Plug in, turn on, set temp. No need to get any more complicated than that.

For salmon, it it has been commercially frozen to kill parasites, I cook it at 115 which results in a buttery soft flakey fish. Chicken breasts and turkey white meat I cook at 140. Thighs I usually grill but if I SV it is usually at 155.

Sous vide has its place for sure. I use my Anova for a few different things. Did a rib roast and whole tenderloin for Xmas last year, and they both turned out phenomenal. I use convention broiler option on my oven @ 550 for the reverse sear.

I picked up a Chefman a few weeks ago. It is 1000 watts, can be ran with the app or manually and is Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled. I probably would have went with a different brand or not bought one at all, but it was marked down at Kroger for $24.99 ($99.99 on Amazon) in an unopened box. It is a boneless/skinless chicken cooking machine. The boys had some for dinner last night, and I had the leftovers cold for breakfast this morning. To be honest, the idea of searing just seams like a waste of time and clean dishes. I am happy to use it for reheating and cooking stuff that doesn't need seared.

I have an Anova with Bluetooth and love it. Not that I have ever used the Bluetooth function. Really not sure why you would. Turn on, set temp, chuck food in bath then turn off when done. There is really nothing to monitor. Temp is rock steady and setting the temp manually takes maybe 3 seconds. IDK, seams unnecessary.

I have two.

I think my favorite use is doing steaks for a crowd.
I can entertain and when folks are ready to eat, pull the steaks, dry, and sear. All steaks ready at once.

Have a couple also, a Dash sous vide oven and a stick circulator. There are lots of uses but my favorites are ribeye, tuna and salmon.

I have two.

I think my favorite use is doing steaks for a crowd.
I can entertain and when folks are ready to eat, pull the steaks, dry, and sear. All steaks ready at once.

When doing this - how do you get a medium-rare steak and a well-done (sorry) steak? Pull the medium-rare earlier?

WOW, this is a great forum with so much information, thanks for all the pointers and responses! :grin:

I got a fancy multipurpose one by Bosch that I use for fish. I throw the fish in a plastic bag and toss it in with all the dirty dishes, set it to the pots-and-pans cycle. In two hours, I've got all my dishes clean and sous vide fish. Shazaam!

Back