Sous Vide, who's got em!

Yep - no problem going from the freezer to the sous vide container in the same bag. The only reason to rebag is if you want to add spices, herbs or other flavorings for your cook.

Yep - no problem going from the freezer to the sous vide container in the same bag. The only reason to rebag is if you want to add spices, herbs or other flavorings for your cook.

Ok thanks so I don’t have to open bag at all, just leave sealed during cook! Just don’t want it to explode being I never done this type of cook!

How do you reheat? I just tried to reheat some pulled pork. I had it set at 180 and while the juice was in the bag, the meat seemed dry. It wasn't dry when I pulled it off of the smoker. Also, I ran for about 4.5 hours. Thoughts?

How do you reheat? I just tried to reheat some pulled pork. I had it set at 180 and while the juice was in the bag, the meat seemed dry. It wasn't dry when I pulled it off of the smoker. Also, I ran for about 4.5 hours. Thoughts?

Why so high? For reheating all you need it to get it to serving temp and you don't need to SV for hours either.

Why so high? For reheating all you need it to get it to serving temp and you don't need to SV for hours either.

So, are you thinking like 150 for an hour or so? I did that because I originally pulled at 190'ish. I thought, "Bring it up close to the original temp, but not all the way." But, yeah... Too much heat and probably too long. If you have a recommendation on reheating (2) 3lb vac bags, I'd be all ears!

The sous vide has its place. I just have to figure out how. I love the consistent heat it provides.

Time will depend on if you are reheating thawed or frozen, and how thick the bag is.

General guidelines are reheat at 10 degrees below original cooking temp. But since pork is technically done at 165, I would set my temp at 155.

Time will depend on, are you reheating from frozen or thawed state, and what thickness the bag of meat is. If you are reheating thawed, about 45 minutes per inch, if you are going from frozen, add an extra 30 minutes. Just make sure you are going to at least 145, to ensure safety.

130 is the minimum pasteurization temp. I generally reheat BBQ and other things at 140, except for meats that were originally cooked to a lower temp, and then I use 130.

I reheat full packers at 160 or 165. Usually take a few hours. The water normally takes a huge temp drop when you drop what started out as a 16 pound brisket in. Always turn out great.

I had a Gourmia that expired fairly quickly. My wife just gave me the 900w Anova. I have a batch of lemon curd going in it right now. I'm also trying to figure out how to use the sous vide cooker to use up the egg whites I didn't need for the lemon curd.

And I'm doing a batch of char siu pork belly with it tomorrow. I need to go get the pork belly in the smoker right now to add some flavor to it.

Well, this just arrived! Band new in the box and the lady got for a gift, I got it for $99.00 and free shipping! The lady gave me free shipping rather then charging me the normal $16.00 shipping! Now to learn this new art of cooking! 900 watt wifi-bluetooth Anova!

Attachments

• IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0708.jpg
    IMG_0708.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 58
The only negatives I've heard about Anova is the newer models require you to download their App in order to use. For that reason alone I bought a Yedi Wand with no wi-fi, just plug it in and set time and temperature.

My favorite thing to cook so far are monster bone-in pork chops with a quick sear to finish. Perfect all the way through.

I have IIRC the newest (Nano) and an original Precision BT. You don't need the app for either and honestly other than temp/time suggestions the only used I'd have for the app was if I had a WiFi model. BT is far too short a range to watch the cook from elsewhere in the house.

Double cut chop...145/2.5

Attachments

• 50832951_2542261545790256_1573676068794007552_n.jpg
    50832951_2542261545790256_1573676068794007552_n.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 19
Back