Sous Vide, who's got em!

When doing this - how do you get a medium-rare steak and a well-done (sorry) steak? Pull the medium-rare earlier?
Set sous vide temp to midrare and do all the steaks. When you're ready, pull, dry then on for a sear. First one on would be your well done one. It will come off last.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
In three weeks with the Anova Nano. I've had awesome success with brats, steaks, chicken, shrimp, scallops, and cheesecake. Several fails with eggs and hollandaise sauce. It's been fun.

Just dropped a lamb shank in that should be ready to finish on the grill Friday night. The added bonus for me was the sous vide forced me to buy a vacuum sealer, which is awesome

When doing this - how do you get a medium-rare steak and a well-done (sorry) steak? Pull the medium-rare earlier?

Start with the well done steak. Set the water to say 150, drop in the well steak for 45 minutes. Turn temp down to 140 (add cool water, ice, take the lid off etc. to speed it up) and put in the medium steaks for 45 minutes. Turn down to 130-135 for the medium rare steaks and cook for another 45 minutes.

At this point all your steaks are fully cooked to different levels and are they are also all hot and ready for a sear. Take then all out, sear, and serve them all at the same time still sizzling (no need for a rest period like a hot grilling).

Another option is to cook steaks to different temps and put them in the fridge still in the bags, and then 45-90 minutes before dinner, plop them all in a bath that is at or below the temp of the most rare.

The best option is to buy a whole bunch of SV units so you can cook at different temperatures simultaneously. I am currently 3 units toward this goal. :D

I have a hard time getting excited about boneless skinless chicken breasts prepared in any way but you all are making me curious to try it in the SV again. Been years and years since I prepared it that way.

Keep in mind it is a relative thing. Take a low flavor chicken breast and over cook and dry it out and it is inedible. Cook it SV at 140 with some seasonings and it will be more moist and tender, a perfect topping for the salad you didn’t want to eat either, but it isn’t going to compete with a dry aged angus strip steak.

Bought my mom one once. 800w Anova. She used it once. Put it away and I saw her sell it in a garage sale a year or two later for 10$. I would have bought it back for that but oh well. Also, my wife doesnt like the idea of boiling/heating plastic as she says it. So Sous Vide is out for me.

I have the Bluetooth Anova and the nano model. Love them both. There are a lot of uses for SV from making great steaks & chicken, to finishing summer sausage or even hard boiled eggs. Reheating vac packed BBQ (pick your type of meat, cut, etc..) is a no brainer. You have total precision control over the heat process.

If mine broke, I would replace it without hesitation.

I got a fancy multipurpose one by Bosch that I use for fish. I throw the fish in a plastic bag and toss it in with all the dirty dishes, set it to the pots-and-pans cycle. In two hours, I've got all my dishes clean and sous vide fish. Shazaam!

You might be a redneck if... [emoji12]

I bought an Anova a year ago... and have used it once. I feel ashamed and embarrassed. This thread is inspiring me to get out of my rut and learn how to Sous Vide! :)

Last edited:
I bought an Anova a year ago... and have use it once. I feel ashamed and embarrassed. This thread is inspiring me to get out of my rut and learn how to Sous Vide! :)

I have one too. Got it about a year and a half ago. Bought it on the recommendation from a friend of mine. I only used it a few times and wasn't really impressed with the results on steaks.

Never tried it on chicken as I've heard it leaves a rather weird texture to it. I have used it to thaw out some frozen leftovers. But that is about it.

I may have to experiment more with it and see if I can use it for actual cooking.

Right now it collects dust.

I actually use the wifi on my anova more than I thought I would. mostly to start heating the water on a work day so it'll be up to temp when I get home. I know that's only 20 or 30 minutes but that makes a difference trying to get dinner moving. also don't forget to try new potato's , peppers and onions and things like that. it'll infuse a ton of flavor

I have the Bluetooth Anova and the nano model. Love them both. There are a lot of uses for SV from making great steaks & chicken, to finishing summer sausage or even hard boiled eggs. Reheating vac packed BBQ (pick your type of meat, cut, etc..) is a no brainer. You have total precision control over the heat process.

If mine broke, I would replace it without hesitation.

thanks,

Do I need to cut open my freezer vacuum packed cooked BBQ or raw meats when cooking in SV!

if you have question about bag integrity, put the original bag inside a new one, and reseal it.

Not that, I was just wondering if I can leave it sealed rather then having to open for air!

Back