Qwik Trim brisket trimmer?

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mik
Anyone ever used one of these? Worth it? Be about $43 with a pack of extra blades. i could see how it would be a help, although trimming is really not that difficult.

https://www.amazon.com/Qwick-Trim-B...1&refRID=3MYJ5YY0Y3XX92WYFD9T#customerReviews

91dJgkg79cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mostly having to do with the blades, which you can get extras of. I'm tempted, but for the price of the unit and an extra pack of blades I could buy a brisket.

I remember seeing a video of Sterling Ball using this (Big Poppa Smokers) and immediately it looked like a piece of junk. He was having a hard time pulling it across the fat cap, and it just looked like way more trouble than it was worth.

To each their own but I'll just stick to a semi-flexible boning knife. I've been using the same one for over 2 years now and it cost me roughly $15.

That's it. I use some cheap boning knife my wife had before I ever met her. She likely got it at some trade demonstration. Used it for 30 years now.

Bought one last month. Used it last week on a 19 pound brisket. For all the hard fat, it's great. You can take off huge swaths of it all at once. The slimy crap, not so much. You have to have a knife to get under it, not cut it off from the top. Worth it? Not so much, but it is handy and would be better if you had a LOT of briskets to trim down

I've been seeing these advertised on social media. My first thought was it seems like a total gimic.

I haven't tried one but i'd be worried about making bald patches pulling that across the fat cap.

My other thought is with my process of trimming i'd still need a knife for shaping the brisket.

Maybe it would work well for some but for my money i'm sticking with a curved boning knife

I know Bryan from 407BBQ used it a while back, not sure if he still does. Said once you figure out how to use it the right way, it makes trimming briskets a breeze. But probably not worth the money if you're just going to trim a single brisket occasionally. For trimming a lot of briskets at once, it saves a lot of time.

YMMV

Back