THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Sako
THE CABIN

My "regular" carne asada recipe is far more labor intensive but I wanted something in a hurry. Since I don't have my full kitchen available up there (which makes it fun actually) I did a quick version of it with whatever I had in the cupboards of course with the exception of the meat, tortillas and fresh produce that I take up with me. Basically I just have the necessities there kinda like camping but with camping you always forget something. Or two. Or Three. :biggrin1: Fortunately there is a lot more at the cabin compared to a camping trip so it's the sweet spot between camping and home.

Started with flap meat

5TK9F3Nh.jpg

Pappy's and oregano. Pappy's is the closest thing to a carne asada seasoning IMHO

DxgVD5xh.jpg

Sprinkled on the meat

jW39S3Sh.jpg

Of course citrus is key. Blood oranges from a buddy's place and lime

G6MwuDQh.jpg

I let it marinate a little

p0MRK2Dh.jpg

Made some chicken too

Y6zGe48h.jpg

Rice :thumb:

eZhufG5h.jpg

And of course beans :clap2:

Brw2lxOh.jpg

I cheated and used the PBJ since the weather was cold and wet (no charcoal fires allowed up there :tape:)

3TayZYwh.jpg

And done

z6yYdGIh.jpg

14" tortill-er!!

UkbobmXh.jpg

Half beef and half chicken :nod:

0Fh11MHh.jpg

Beans

f2nH5ATh.jpg

Cheese

LMoD4n1h.jpg

Cilantro and onions

igsiqeih.jpg

Pico and salsa roja (red sauce)

jeQlSxxh.jpg

Burrito served with rice, beans, pico, cold beer and a shot of tequila :nod:

Qs2RK81h.jpg

Smack down the middle with beef on left and chicken on right

LrfHBN8h.jpg

Beef side :nod:

UF04UjDh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Nicely done! You sure do know how to rough it at the cabin, eh? That meal is definitely at the top of my list for favorites, and yours looks FANTASTIC!

Looks like you had all the essentials. Wouldn't be any fun, if you didn't have to improvise a little. Wouldn't mind going camping like that, especially, if you were doing the cooking.:thumb:

That looks pretty good. Most of the time I’m lazy and just go to the Mexican meat market and buy the pre-marinated stuff. How long did you let this one sit?

Where’s the cabin? Big Bear?

Excellent looking meal, Sako. I don't know why people think camping means roughing it. Do you have a drive through window at the cabin? I'll be right up with my order!

Looks great, Sako! Like Jeanie, you eat better "roughing it" than most people eat on a normal basis!

Where do you find Pappy's at?

I was gonna say "have fun up at yer cabin" but I don't think you need to be told - looks like you're on the case! :clap2:

Wow! Great looking plate! I’d hit that burrito anywhere, anytime.:tongue:

Fantastic, now I'm hungry for Mexican at 4am!

Killer grub Sako! Looks like it was made in a restaurant, nice job.

Looks like you had all the essentials. Wouldn't be any fun, if you didn't have to improvise a little. Wouldn't mind going camping like that, especially, if you were doing the cooking.:thumb:

Nicely done! You sure do know how to rough it at the cabin, eh? That meal is definitely at the top of my list for favorites, and yours looks FANTASTIC!

Thanks guys!!

That looks pretty good. Most of the time I’m lazy and just go to the Mexican meat market and buy the pre-marinated stuff. How long did you let this one sit?

Where’s the cabin? Big Bear?

Thanks!

About 3 hours. I usually have a lot more citrus juice and leave it overnight. By morning it absorbs all the juice. :thumb:

Big Bears too far to make it a few times a month. It's PMC up the 5.

Now this is what you call roughing it and that looks like one heck of a shot
Very nice

Thanks George! Shot glass came with bottle and didn't have smaller glasses but I wasn't complaining. :becky: :thumb:

That looks excellent!

Thanks!

Excellent looking meal, Sako. I don't know why people think camping means roughing it. Do you have a drive through window at the cabin? I'll be right up with my order!

Thanks Marty!

I plan on doing a micro bash one of these days. It's just I've been overwhelmingly busy. Love to get up there and unwind in piece.

Looks great, Sako! Like Jeanie, you eat better "roughing it" than most people eat on a normal basis!

Where do you find Pappy's at?

I was gonna say "have fun up at yer cabin" but I don't think you need to be told - looks like you're on the case! :clap2:

Lol thanks Greg!

I plan on a micro bash with you, Marty, Richard, Ray up there as soon as I get some downtime which has been really hard lately. Not complaining but I'm stupid busy these days.

Pappy's is available at Smart and Final. A bit on the salty side but is great Santa Maria style rub if you don't go buckwild with it.

^^^That sounds killer! :whoo: I hear ya on the busy - not complaining either - better than sitting by the phone waiting on it to ring!

I'm at S&F pretty often - I think some of that Pappy's is gonna jump into the cart - thanks for the heads up!

^^^That sounds killer! :whoo: I hear ya on the busy - not complaining either - better than sitting by the phone waiting on it to ring!

I'm at S&F pretty often - I think some of that Pappy's is gonna jump into the cart - thanks for the heads up!

:thumb: :wink:

I think I paid $5 or $6 for it. They have different ones iirc. Great all around rub.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Thanks!

Big Bears too far to make it a few times a month. It's PMC up the 5.

I think we detoured to La Lena for lunch on the way to Bakersfield when I last visited in 2012. Is that the same area? Lovely area.

I think we detoured to La Lena for lunch on the way to Bakersfield when I last visited in 2012. Is that the same area? Lovely area.

Exactly there Czar. Did you see the smoker they had outside? It really is a beautiful place. A total small town with everyone knowing each other. I laughed when I walked in to the post office and they closed for lunch plus they only work 4 hours a day.:laugh:

Mighty fine on the burrito brother! I didn't know charcoal was not allowed, I run a kettle in Big Bear. IIRC I called somebody forest service, fire dept. they said go for it. :noidea:

Back