THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humble Soul

Full Fledged Farker
I recently helped out an old fella clear a parcel of land that was full of Kiawe (Mesquite) trees, and I was able to take a bunch home. Most of the pieces are well over a foot long, and anywhere from 3-5" in diameter, some are bigger. If I am wanting to grill using the wood, do I have to split these in half or chop them into smaller pieces? Is it possible to use a whole log? I don't have an axe so getting them to be smaller than it's current size would be a challenge for me. Any advice is appreciated :) Thanks in advance!

What type of smoker? offset you should be fine. Charcoal/ chunk style cut them to 3-4" length and don't split. You will wanna let them "season' for 3-6 months. Air dry.

My plan was to grill some teriyaki chicken and oysters in my 22" weber kettle. They're already quite dry (doesn't rain much here). I ran out of charcoal and have a hefty load of mesquite so I'm wondering if I can use it in place of briquettes.

My plan was to grill some teriyaki chicken and oysters in my 22" weber kettle. They're already quite dry (doesn't rain much here). I ran out of charcoal and have a hefty load of mesquite so I'm wondering if I can use it in place of briquettes.

let it burn down to red hot coals then toss meat on. :thumb:

Back