Price of steel

I wouldnt buy anything not needed right now. IMO its the time to save. All markets are crazy right now and its only going to get worse. Prices are through the roof, lead times are nuts, and at least in my state business is running 150%-200% above budget. Nothing really makes sense and when that happens bad things usually tend to happen.

This...

Do you think pit prices will come back down when the commodity prices come back down? I can’t see that happening. My worry is not buying now, prices continuing to go up, and prices never coming back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it all depends on what you can spend and which pit you are looking at. Like I said earlier, the company I just ordered from raised their pit prices 200 dollars. I beat that by a day, but I would definitely not let 200 dollars stand between me and a smoker I wanted. For one thing, when steel comes back down, nothing guarantees smoker prices will. Another worry of mine is what happens with steel, as in, are we about to get the market flooded with sub-par Chinese steel again? I got burned on the Chinese drywall crap, and don't want to go there again. But mostly, I'd hate to die while waiting for something I really wanted over 200 dollars. Just save a little bit more and go for it.

Ha, funny you should ask. I ordered my Limo Jr the other day, and the next day both the Southern Q smokers went up 200 dollars on the website. Talk about getting in under the wire.

My Limo Jr. Order was processed on 5/12 but placed a few days before that. It was still $2100. Guess My timing was right as well.

Today Hunsaker posted that as of June 1st their smokers are going up in price by $50 and they won't come with a free rib rack anymore due to the increase in cost of raw materials. If you were on the fence now would be the time to jump.

Do you think pit prices will come back down when the commodity prices come back down?

Nope, just like that "fuel surcharge" that never went away. I think in practice, these surcharges will get swallowed by inflation in the long-term anyway.

Chris

And a river runs through it. Well, actually I bought these for a high mountain lake. Worden’s Rooster Tail. This sack of lures has to be 20+ years old. Wonder if price has increased. I’m guessing with brass, copper, steel all hobbies will be affected with steel increases. All the way downtown to 1/16oz

Last edited:
I'm an autoworker. I don't assemble vehicles but I work at a Q1 plant that provides OE components. They are monitoring steel so closely that we even reuse nuts and bolts. Everything is digitally torqued. Occasionally something might get over/under torqued and rejected. In the past since the threads had dry thread locker on them, you would remove the bolt throw it away and torque a new bolt. Not anymore. Now you remove the bolt and if the threads are still within spec add a drop of industrial Loctite and re torque. My point is if they are doing this for such a small steel item, imagine the larger scale. Steel is getting crazy expensive and if something can be reworked it absolutely will be.

Have money-marketed my 401k funds for the time being. There's a readjustment coming.

We have as well. Were in our 30s still so we can easily absorb some time in the money market vs losing a huge chunk. Prices will go back down. They never make it to where they were before but they cant stay where they are.

It is bad everywhere for all building materials and some states are worse - I will leave it at that and avoid moving to N&P.

I am amazed there are 4 homes being built in my area right now. The price has to be at least double what it was a year ago - Just crazy

I am amazed there are 4 homes being built in my area right now. The price has to be at least double what it was a year ago - Just crazy

Friends of ours signed the papers to build a new house right after the first of the year (while I was saying NOOOOOOO to meself!)

Since then?

They have had “adjustments” to the quote to the tune of nearly 30% higher!

Back