Griddle Anyone ?

On my direct heat cooker - just removed one of the grates and it goes right in its place

The two brackets hold it in place

Awesome! A whole new set of options for the same cooker. Sweet!

Yea - it’s a very versatile cooker - I have only done direct heat cooking with the food 24 inches above the heat - but it has deflector plates I can put in and run it like a vertical offset - can also move the fire basket up in the cooker and do high heat cooking directly over the flames

They are also going to build me a rack that will allow me to use rods end to end - going to use those to cold smoke c link sauces - going to use a cold smoke snake at the bottom of cooker with pellets

Could also hang meats, etc off the rod with hooks like a pit barrel cooker

Push to the side and soak up with folded or rolled paper towels.

I have a griddle I use on my gas grill - not made for it. It has a shallow grease trough with a hole in it but nothing to catch the grease under the hole - so I have to keep rolled paper towels in the trough and replace them during a cook.

Haven’t cooked on it yet - guess I will just push to one side

But only envision doing breakfast, smash burgers and blackened fish on it

Never cooked on a griddle
Those are correct applications for a griddle. Short cooks without excessive fat content. That said, I'd season it by cooking a bunch of bacon a couple/few times. Your griddle has high sides so no risk of grease spilling over into the fire.

Those are correct applications for a griddle. Short cooks without excessive fat content. That said, I'd season it by cooking a bunch of bacon a couple/few times. Your griddle has high sides so no risk of grease spilling over into the fire.

What kind of surface temps am i looking for to cook on the griddle ?

Keep Warm 200F - 225F Sweating
Low-Med 300F – 325F Sweating, sautéing
Medium 350F sautéing
Medium High 375F – 400F Sautéing, searing
High 425F – 450F Searing

Do you have an infrared surface gauge? 350-375 is the highest I'd go. Beyond that the seasoning risks getting ruined. Soon as cooking is done either cut off heat to the griddle via your cookers internals or remove the griddle from the heat. Don't let it stay in/on the heat.

Back