THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
It's time for some lengua. I'm using Tonybel's Recipe/Technique on this (duh! the man's a farkin' lengua master), my first attempt.

When I went to the Commissary and found the tongue selection (5 hunks of frozen beef tongue in the deep freeze section), I nearly passed out.
I knew that this would be expensive, but Dear Lord! :twitch: :shocked: :crazy:

2016-05-28%2015.08.02_zpsdyjvkkdw.jpg

Well, I committed to making lengua tacos... and it's going to happen. I really hope beef tongue prices are more reasonable in East Bumblefark, NM.

So... she's thawing right now. Tomorrow morning, I'll hit it with my usual steak seasoning and let it rest for a bit in the fridge before I put it in the smoker right around noon-ish.

More to come.

After an overnight in the fridge, i rinsed it off and prepared to do battle with some tongue skin.

2016-05-29%2009.47.13_zpsb4jwhok2.jpg

If I said that I butchered the job, that would be disrespectful to those professionals out there. That said, I didn't hack off any digits or lose a bunch of meat in the process. Good thing I'll end up chopping this up, as it's not pretty.

Hit it with some steak seasoning... and it's resting before I put it in the smoker over hickory.

2016-05-29%2010.43.22_zps3kf2vatt.jpg

Going 300F for a couple of ours before I foil with some Worcestershire Sauce and put back on for a couple more hours.

Since there's no skin, I'll have to cook to a general IT (unless Tonybel or someone else gives me a better plan, and I'm all ears... perhaps a good probing...) of 200-210F-ish.

More to come.

You're off to a great start. When I was a kid tongue was what you ate cause you couldn't afford regular cuts. Needless to say we ate lots of tongue, heart and ox tails. Now all these are premium cuts. Go figure.

You're off to a great start. When I was a kid tongue was what you ate cause you couldn't afford regular cuts. Needless to say we ate lots of tongue, heart and ox tails. Now all these are premium cuts. Go figure.
Same here, that's why I can't eat tongue now. But, I will never tire of ox tails...

What part of that chicken is that cow about to lick? :shocked:

Lol, lookin good, although I must say you are braver than I.....:becky:

Devoured those wings for lunch. Entertained the 5-month old and got some food in her belly. Went back outside to wrap the tongue at the 2.5 hour mark (Tonybel says 2 at 300F, but I've been fighting to get my smoker up to 250 for some reason) with 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce.

2016-05-29%2015.02.49_zpsjxaf5xf8.jpg

She's looking a little dry, but that bath in the W-shire really seemed to make her happy as I wrapped her up in foil for about an hour or so (before I start checking on her).

Meanwhile, I appreciated dodis including some Salsa Recipes on a recent response to Tonybel's last lengua cook. I decided to make the Green Salsa with the jalapeños, onions, and such.

2016-05-29%2014.54.56_zpsivt5rqzf.jpg

2016-05-29%2015.15.13_zpsmokeu1t3.jpg

Added some lime juice to balance it out a little before putting in this mason jar to cool. Expecting the spicy level to drop a bit as this cools (as happens when I make spicy chutney or spicy jelly). Should turn out right nicely.

More soon.

Looking good so far, I would be up for a feed of it.
Before skinning the tongue my Cambodian butcher grabbs them bu thr pointy end and slaps them on his block very hard.
Makes the skin peelable almost

Last edited:
Back